Latest OS version for Go 6200 — TomTom Community

Latest OS version for Go 6200

I've just put a new battery in my TomTom Go 6200 and done a reset as well. Seems to be working a lot better than it has done recently. Might be as a result of the disconnection of the battery for a short while.

On looking at the TomTom equivalent of the BIOS screen (press start and keep holding after drum roll) I notice a couple of things. The 'OS version is 3.10.49. Is this the most up to date for this device and if it isn't, how do I update it to the latest version.

I also see the RTC has gone back to 1st Jan 1970, but is now happily moving on from that time (now at nearly 05.00 on 1st Jan 1970. I was not aware we had satnavs in 1970! How can this get updated by the odd 50 years that it's behind?

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,991
    Superusers
    edited October 30 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Malsiluk
    To check the NavCore/NavKit version....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Application Version

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,593
    Superuser
    Hi @Malsiluk

My GO5200 has OS. 3.10.40 followed by some more ending gdd5d71

Re the date/time mine says April 1972.

So unless someone can add it would appear you are about right.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited October 30
    Hi
    The 1st Jan 1970 is the date embedded into the RTC (Real Time Clock) Chip during manufacture....
    During the GPS First Fix... The device get the true time from the on-board Clocks on the Satellites....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • MalsilukMalsiluk Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Thank you both DougLap and YamFazMan for your quick replies.

From what Douglap says, it sounds like you have had your device for around 2 years and 4 months, but in that time, it has never picked up the true date and time from the satellites.
    I know I have a slightly different version to you, but it's also a slightly different model, so maybe that is why. I'm sure somebody at TomTom must know what the correct latest version of the OS is for each model. I've Googled it hard, but not found the answer.
    If there has been a newer version since the one on my/our devices, then I would expect that is to help solve bug fixes or features. Like with a computer, I like to always have the latest version.

YamFazman, I thank you for your info as well. I've Googled 'GPS first fix' and think I know what you mean. Mine has just kept counting the hours and minutes since I reset everything, but I am still on 1970. Maybe if I leave the satnav outside in the garden for a while (if it ever stops raining!!) it will make better contact with the satellites and might do the trick. I know from playing with computers, that if the time is wrong in your BIOS, it can cause problems with how the computer behaves sometimes.
    Superusers
    Hi Again....
    @Malsiluk
    Tomtom Support FAQ... TomTom Navigation Device Software Release Notes....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014400819-TomTom-Navigation-Device-Software-Release-Notes

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan Thanks again for that. I did find that page earlier, but I could not really be sure it was the right information, as I could not see anything that relates to the present OS Version that my 6200 has on it, which is 3.10.49. That chart suggests I should be on something starting with a '19' (year of release it seems)

Not wanting to push my luck with your help, but how do you update the OS version? I'm fine with updating the map versions, but this is clearly a different type of update.
    Superusers
    edited October 30 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Malsiluk
    To check the NavCore/NavKit version....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Application Version

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan thanks once again. Yes, I checked that and it shows 19.201.0010.411 (27/09/2019) which looks like the latest version.

So, it seems that the information on the 'BIOS' screen is not to be trusted. It thinks it's still 1970 and has a version 3 of OS, not version 19.

I must say that putting in a new battery seems to have made a big difference. It was mis-behaving in a few ways for ages, as well as battery always being almost empty. I've reset it 3/4 times, but I think the removal of the battery has help do a real reset. I've had it running for hours now and battery level is only just getting down to a low level. They suggest letting the battery drop to about 10% before doing a full recharge, but the whole device seems snappier than it's been - almost for ever.
    Superusers
    edited October 30
    Hi
    @Malsiluk
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM