How can I enter an address with using Search? — TomTom Community

How can I enter an address with using Search?

nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 44 [Renowned Wayfarer]
This may be pilot error but I cannot just enter an address but I always have Search... which is useful sometimes but often I want to enter a specific address. One problem is that you if you don't have network signal the Search cannot work & often Search doesn't find the specific address.

Several times recently I have been forced to use the old TomTom Navigator app which is still working on my phone albeit with no Traffic & the maps haven't been updated in years.

Say I want to go to 1 High Street, Anytown. In the old app I drill down through the prompts City so I enter Anytown then I get prompted for Street name then for House Number. Alternatively & often very useful I can answer Crossing with another road name to finTomTom GO Navigation app for iPhoned an intersection.

How can I do the above on the TomTom GO Navigation app for iPhone? Search doesn't cut it because if Search doesn't find the house number it just gives me the road.

Another issue is if I enter a postcode. The old app prompts me for the house number but the new app does not & Search gives me the postcode I entered plus a long list of random postcodes . Postcodes in the UK are generally a group of house numbers & cover up to several hundred yards. It's not very useful to just be dumped near your target destination.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,748
    Superuser
    edited October 2020
    Hi @nigelbbb

With Wifi and Mobile data turned Off and IPhone in Airplane Mode try

Tap Search
    Tap Whole Map
    Tap In Town or City
    Type Town name
    Select Town from list offered
    Type Number and Street name
    Select Address from list offered
    Map shows result with icon at house position and address with number and street name

With Postcode
    In Search Type the Postcode followed by (space)number ie
    Xx12yy 16
    Tap Result which shows
    16 High Street
    Somewhere xx1

Re road junction in town
    Tap Search
    Tap Whole Map
    Tap In Town or City
    Type name of town
    Select Town from list
    Type name of road
    Select Road from list
    Tap Add Cross Road
    Select Crossroad from list of roads that cross your initial road

Doug
  • nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 44 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Thanks a lot for your quick response.

It would be great if you could switch off Search in the app rather than having to put the phone in Airplane Mode. Search is not required & is irritating when you are entering an address you know as it offers up a long list of unconnected hits too.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,748
    Superuser
    edited October 2020
    Hi @nigelbbb

I only mentioned putting in Airplane mode etc to show you can do it with No Internet connection. It will do the same when not in Airplane mode.

If I enter an address it appears on the screen very near the top if not at the top and so I have no problem if it makes some other suggestions.

If I enter my Address it offers it at the top and another possibility 7 miles away which has The in front of my roads name so it is covering I have not forgotten The

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @nigelbbb

I only mentioned putting in Airplane mode etc to show you can do it with No Internet connection. It will do the same when not in Airplane mode.

If I enter an address it appears on the screen very near the top if not at the top and so I have no problem if it makes some other suggestions.

If I enter my Address it offers it at the top and another possibility 7 miles away which has The in front of my roads name so it is covering I have not forgotten The

Doug

If I use Airplane Mode I get a nice simple short list not a distracting screenful of junk.
    I normally know where I’m going & don’t need to search. In the old app when you enter a city it then give you a list of roads to select from likewise when you enter Crossing you get a list of roads that cross the first one you selected.

Bottom line I can kinda get the same out of the new app but it’s not as good. Searching when you know the address fills the screen with confusing junk.