Map gone on Start 52 after update failed — TomTom Community

Map gone on Start 52 after update failed

Arun_AgarwalArun_Agarwal Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited October 27 in Map installation
Hello,
Today I was trying to update my START 52 via MyDrive Connect. After downloading to Mydrive, it was updating the device but suddenly failed and then existing map is also gone.

There is no map showing in MyDrive Connect and now my START 52 is without map.
My device is showing empty memory space now.

Could you guys please help? I heavily rely on my TomTom.

Kind regards,
Arun Agarwal

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,987
    Superusers
    edited October 25
    Hi
    @Arun_Agarwal
    Welcome to the site....
    Check the 1st 2 Characters of the serial Number....

at9bxdoyy05h.jpg
    Is the device an 8GB or 16GB Device ???
    If 'XQ' or 'XR' an 8GB Memory Device....
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 9GB +

@VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators can add a small Map to your Account to get you passed the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....
    See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,559 Moderator
    @Arun_Agarwal

Hi Arun

Welcome to the community!
    I have asked the team to fix the services for your TomTom, please do a soft reset and check for updates.

Regards, Vikram
  • Arun_AgarwalArun_Agarwal Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited October 26
    @YamFazMan it is indeed XR thus 8 GB model.
    I have inserted a 16 GB memory card, however, not sure on how to install map on card iso device internal memory.
    @VikramK I can now see maps available in MyDrive Connect. I see Benalux map is only 232 MBs but Europa map is 6081MBs.
    Do I still need reset in my device? I assume it will erase existing addresses (if it has not already erased them).

@YamFazMan @VikramK How do I install Europa map on memory card while Benalux map on internal memory.

@YamFazMan @VikramK thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
    Arun Agarwal
    Hi @Arun_Agarwal

The device information in the background shows that your device was purchased with -
    Benelux and DE_AT_CH(Germany, Austria & Switzerland) maps.

Since Europe was not an embedded map preinstalled with the device it will not be offered as a download now.

As long as there is enough space on the device internal memory MyDrive Connect won't allow you the option to install maps on a SD card(external)

Benelux map size approximately 308MB and DE_AT_CH maps approximately 1.2 GB are small enough to fit on the internal memory of the device itself.

Regards, Vikram
    edited October 27
    Hi @VikramK ,

Thanks for info.
    However, I purchased "The TomTom Start 52 Europe" with followings (part of) specification:
    612tzz9vxl80.png

So it does include lifetime map coverage of Europe and not just Benelux and DE_AT_CH(Germany, Austria & Switzerland) maps.
    I can share the invoice.

Please confirm to restore the previous map status.

Btw, my memry card is stuck inside the slot, not getting out (can't format it as not recognized by device.).
    Any idea on how can I get it out?

Kind regards,
    Arun Agarwal
    @Arun_Agarwal

Hi Arun

Thanks for sharing the information. I would suggest that you get in touch with our customer services with the invoice copy. They should be able to make changes to the embedded services after reviewing the information.

Thank you, Vikram
    Hello @VikramK ,

After searching a lot, I could not find customer service number for Netherlands.
    Could you please suggest what is the best/quickest way to contact customer service?

Kind regards,
    Arun Agarwal
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,987
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Arun_Agarwal
    Welcome to the site....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan

Thank you for sharing info.

While following the procedure (as described in your link) whenever I change the country to the Netherlands, it goes back to GB (UK).
    Still, I have send an email with my query.

How long do I need to wait for response?

Kind regards,
    Arun Agarwal