Since the latest update TomTom GO app keeps crashing on motorways — TomTom Community

Since the latest update TomTom GO app keeps crashing on motorways

bryn999bryn999 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have been using the TomTom GO Android app successfully for a couple of years, but since updating it to the latest version in August 2020 it keeps crashing. It consistently crashes when I am driving on a motorway and about to take the next exit. If I restart the app (which, as you can imagine, is quite a dangerous thing to have to do while driving) it immediately crashes again.

I am currently running version 2.3.1 of the app and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it has made no difference.

The app is now completely useless to me, so if a fix is not made soon I would like the remainder of my annual subscription refunded so I can use something else.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,989 Moderator
    Hi @bryn999

Welcome to the Community! We apologize for the inconvenience and closely monitoring all crashes and improving the stability of the app in every version. I would advise you to please try re-installing the app on your phone. If you have the maps installed on the external SD card then I would recommend formatting it before installing the maps on it.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards, lampard

• bryn999bryn999 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Lampard, but as I said above I have already tried re-installing the app and it made no difference - it still crashes. I can't format the SD card as that contains data from other apps that are all working fine. Any other suggestions?

Hi @bryn999

I can understand but if you have the maps stored on an SD card, you can remove/delete the TomTom folders below from SD card & internal memory as well to make a clean reinstallation:

Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp
    Android/obb/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp

Once you remove these, reinstall the app and see if it's the same after that. In the meanwhile, please provide us with the Phone Model & Android version.

Regards, lampard
    Thanks, I will try that in the next couple of days when I have some time.

The phone is a Fairphone 2 running Android 7.1.2
    Thanks for getting back to me!
    It consistently crashes when I am driving on a motorway and about to take the next exit.
    Can you provide us with more details about the route (start & endpoint) on which the app crashed? Also, it would be nice to have the location of the exit which you mentioned above. It'll be helpful for us to reproduce the issue.

Regards, lampard
    edited October 23
    It's happened several times.

Most recently last Monday (after I reinstalled it) I was travelling from RH1 4BE to W4 5PY, and it crashed as I was leaving the M25 at Junction 15 to go to the M4

Other journeys I can remember over the last couple of months (since the app upgrade):

RH1 4BE to SE8 3AA it crashed at M25 Junction 2 going to the A2

RH1 4BE to BH16 6JB it crashed at M25 Junction 12 going to the M3 and then again when leaving the M3 for the M27

Non-motorway journeys it works fine!
    edited October 30
    Hi @bryn999

Our team checked all routes mentioned above and unable to reproduce this as the app didn't crash in between the journey. Unfortunately, we can't do much about this at the moment as this seems to be a device-specific issue but soon the version 2.3.2 will be released for all. When you get this update, I suggest you to give it a test run and see if it improves the situation.

Thanks, lampard
    Hi Lampard

I re-installed the app again. When I uninstalled it, the directories you mentioned above weren't present on the SD card, so I wasn't able to delete them:

Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp
    Android/obb/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp

After reinstalling I tested it again: RH1 4BE to GU8 4JH. It crashed at M25 junction 10 when changing to the A3, and then crashed a couple more times on the A3 itself.

Is there an ETA for version 2.3.2?