Difference between Track or Route?

Luciano58
Luciano58 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited October 2020 in RIDER
Hello, the itineraries appear in my TomTom Ryder double in two denomination, as Track and Route. Which is the difference?
Thank you, Luciano

Best Answers

• Luciano58
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Thank you RoadRider, very helpful.
    In fact I tried both versions on preview in the Rider and the "Route" version did alter a bit the itinerary.
    Luciano

Answers

• Luciano58
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Thank you RoadRider, very helpful.
    In fact I tried both versions on preview in the Rider and the "Route" version did alter a bit the itinerary.
    Luciano
  • RoadRider
    RoadRider Registered Users Posts: 750
    Revered Pioneer
    edited October 2020
    Some extra info;

In MyRoutes a Track has dots in the line trackiconarrow.png (imported as .GPX or Send as track in MyDrive)

And a Route a real line routeiconarrow.png (imported as .ITN or Send Stops)

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-us/index.htm#AboutMyRoutes-GOSTARTTRUCKERWINGSBodrum.htm
  • Luciano58
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you DougLap, that is how I plan my itineraries, to follow exactly a prefixed route. Luciano
  • Trucker6250
    Trucker6250 Registered Users Posts: 23
    Master Traveler
    Useless as Track doesn't show time or distance to next stop.
  • RoadRider
    RoadRider Registered Users Posts: 750
    Revered Pioneer
    A track does show you the time to the only stop your Finnish.
    (Tracks don’t support stops)

To add stops use multiple tracks.
    Track 1 - Start to Lunch
    Track 2 - Lunch to Coffee
    Track 3 - Coffee to Beer and BBQ

Tracks are better when you want to follow the planed path as close as possible.

Routes are better when you don’t care about te exact path for example when you like to drive the fastest route during congestion. Also when you have manny stops is better to use routes.

Both have there purpose.

• agesofman
    agesofman Registered Users Posts: 36
    Master Explorer
    New questions on this topic:

1) You load a GPX file and Rider converts it into a track. Then when doing the ride you come to a road closure. With a waypoint route you can simply input road closure and if necessary input ignore next waypoint and Rider with recalculate and get you round closure. With a track Rider will INSIST you have to ride the road that is closed! If you manually ride around the closure, Rider track will attempt to navigate you back so it can ride track it has planned. Obviously completely stupid. How do you cope with this situation?

2) What is the use of traffic information capability if tracks cannot use it?

3) Why does Rider convert GPX import into 2 files and clutter your route list? What is the point?
  • Toppie
    Toppie Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    RoadRider wrote: »
    All GPX files on a Rider will become a Track
    A track is an highly detailed description of the path to follow. This uses a "breadcrumbs" like path with many trackpoints.

A route only uses a few Routepoints so there is more room for different interpretations of the path to take based in maps used, route preferences and GPS brand.

A GPX file can both contain Routes and Track. When you import a GPX file with both a Route and a Track both will de visible on the Rider. Also both will be used as a track. For a route this means a extra conversion so never use the Route version this will have a less accurate description of the intended path.
    This is true for both syncing the Track with MYDrive as Track as loading the GPX file on the Rider.

When you want to use real routes for example when you need the fasted route from stop to stop based on current traffic. Do the folowing;
    First convert the .GPX route to .ITN and import this on your Rider. For Routes up to 20 Stops (route points / VIA's) you can use the Send Stops feature (after edit route) in MyDrive or "Send ITN Route" on my website.

How do I know which is a Track and which is a Route?
    My device doesn't tell me.....just says

Home to London
    Home to London (2)