TonTom GO Supreme 6" keeps rebooting when in use — TomTom Community

TonTom GO Supreme 6" keeps rebooting when in use

I have an issue where my device keeps rebooting every 5 mins as if it has lost the route. This seems to coincide with the last map update, I have completed all the updates and still not working properly. It will shut down (and say shutting down) or screen will go blank, soft reset does not get rid of the issue. Due to COVID I am not using it as much but it is now unusable in its current condition. Any ideas please?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,003
    Superuser
    Hi @The Blue Liftman

Firstly if you have an extra memory card fitted try removing it and to see if the problem is resolved. If that makes no difference then with the Extra memory card removed I would do a Factory Reset to see if that resolves it.

Before doing a FR go to the My Drive Website and log in to see if all your My Places and any Poi files and Routes you have sent to your Supreme are saved there if they are then go ahead with the FR. Any Routes you have created on the GO Supreme and saved there will not appear in your account and you will have to copy them to a small SD card otherwise you will lose them.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

This Reset will not change the Operating Software or Map versions on the unit but will delete all your data ie My Places etc and you will have to set it up again as you did out of the box. Once you have done that and the unit logs into your account then it will restore your stat from your My Drive account.

Doug
  • andrefigueiredoandrefigueiredo Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    my go 50 is so sluggish,to sart up,change routes,keeps restarting,very frustrating.
    i have a garmin for trucks and you cant compare the speed of use,tomtom is terrible.
    because ive got a lot of costumers ,pois on my account i cant switch of to garmin 100%,otherwise i would never use tomtom again.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,003
    Superuser
    Hi @andrefigueiredo

How much free memory do you have on the internal memory of your GO50 You will find the figure in Menu/Settings/System/About. If it is less than 400mb then the unit will become slower.

If you have an extra memory card fitted then how big is it and what free memory is there on that . Also what maps do you have installed on the unit.

If you have a European map installed on the internal memory it is probably taking up so much space that you would be better to update it so that you transfer it to an extra memory card. This would free up the internal memory and so the unit will work much faster.

Doug
  • MrTDMrTD Posts: 69 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Does your problem look like this
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=DpDXe3xOytI
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,476
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MrTD
    Try logging out of your Wi-Fi....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

(You can't actually log out you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device... I turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM