When Speed Camera alerts stop working - how much to renew? — TomTom Community

When Speed Camera alerts stop working - how much to renew?

SwanseaJack___185SwanseaJack___185 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
When speed camera alerts stop working how much to renew?

Comments

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 12,890
    Superusers
    See https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/speed-camera-updates/world/
    Some devices have a lifetime speedcam subscription e.g. Go Premium or Go 5200 Go 520
  • TruckermanTruckerman Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have recently purchased a TomTom professional 6200 sat Nav. On the box and on tomtom’s website, it states that the device comes with free lifetime live traffic updates and free lifetime speed camera updates, yet the device is stating that both are expired and they are looking a subscription to renew them?
    I certainly will not be paying a subscription as this device is only two weeks old and has been updated with latest firmware etc, yet these items are still looking a subscription?

Can anybody help and explain to me, how to resolve these issues without the subscription?

I have tried to contact TomTom directly, but it is just impossible as they don’t take calls and use a silly bot thing called ‘bongo’ that is useless.

Thanks
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,387
    Superuser
    edited October 11
    Hi @Truckerman

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up tomorrow and sort out the settings on the TT servers for your unit. Look back here tomorrow.

By the way the Tomtom 6200 Pro comes with 1 year Traffic and speed cameras and requires subscriptions thereafter whereas the GO6250 comes with Lifetime. T and SC. What unit do you have?

Phone line support was stopped when so many started working from home over Corvid 19. There is still a Chat and Email facility.

Doug
    edited October 11
    Hi Doug thanks for coming back to me.

I was of the understanding when purchasing that speed camera and traffic updates were for life as this is what the TomTom website indicated (please see screen shot)
    vv1596zcelfe.png

At £300+ I would hope that It would come with the lifetime traffic and speed camera as standard.

If it doesn’t I will be returning it as I was of the understanding that both were lifetime.

My model is the TomTom Go Professional 6200 with wifi.

Thanks for your response.
    Hi Doug, please see link for website which clearly shows lifetime traffic and lifetime speed camera for TomTom Go 6200

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-6200/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzf3NhsWs7AIVCuztCh3G0Am4EAAYASAAEgLW-PD_BwE
    Superuser
    edited October 11
    Hi @Truckerman

The link you have included in your post is for the Car basedGO6200 not the Truck GO6200 Professional. In the link it says Car-sat-Nav. The Car unit does include Lifetime Speed cameras but as you can see it says World Maps not Truck Maps. The Truck Unit does not have World maps which are Car based.

The Truck Go520/Go620 which require the use of a Smart Phone and the Go6250 all have lifetime Speed Cameras but the Go6200 only has 1 year.

Here is the link to the Go6200 professional truck unit.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/truck-sat-nav/products/go-professional-6200/

Doug
    Hi Doug.

Very much looks like the unit had been mis-sold as this is not what I need and certainly not as described.

Thanks for that information, but I will be returning it to the place I got it from as I am within my 14 days returns period and the sat Nav is not fit for purpose or as described.

I’ll go Garmin or similar as they have free updates and don’t try to fleece you with an additional subscription. 👍🏻
    Superuser
    Hi @Truckerman

As I have indicated the Tomtom GO6250 Professional unit is sold with Lifetime Speed Cameras.

Re Garmin you need to check as I think most if not all require you to run their units with your Smartphone connected in order to get traffic whereas the Tomtom GO6250 units have an inbuilt Mobile sim that connects directly to the TT servers and so no additional mobile data costs are involved.

Doug
    So, the morale of the story is, don’t purchase a TomTom go professional 6200 then? Go for the more expensive model.....😉

Thanks TomTom, £339 down the tubes. 👍🏻
    Superuser
    Hi @truckman

The moral is to ensure you are reading the details for the model you need and decide whether or not you want to pay the extra cost for the lifetime updates. About 2 years of subscriptions is less than the difference in the initial cost between the 2 models. Tomtom state in Bold script that the GO6250 has lifetime Speed and Traffic.

From your description you have not got a Truck unit so if you can return it do so and get the correct one. Before you return the u it do the following.

Tap menu
    Tap settings
    Tap system
    Tap Reset device.

This will delete all your details and any Home, Work and MyPlaces you have on it.

If you are prepared to use your Smartphone along with the TT unit you could get a Go520/620 professional, depending on the size you want, and have lifetime Traffic and Speed Cameras.

Doug
    Doug,

The model I purchased ‘TomTom Go Professional 6200 surely must be a truck unit as I can chose between, Truck, bus, car etc etc and it asks for height, weight, axle gross, ADR etc....

Are you saying then, that the above model is not suitable for a truck then, even though it asks for the above information?

I think TomTom need to look at how they sell to their customers as it clearly is not straight forward to chose the right model (reading it or not)

Superuser
    edited October 15
    Hi @Truckman1960

I took it that you had got the car unit because you posted the description of one as your justification for the device having Lifetime traffic etc. and you said that it was not as described and not fit for purpose.

If you have got the GO6200 professional then that is a Truck unit and should have the European Truck map on it and as you say enables you to input data.re the vehicle. Also it is my understanding that if you go to Add a Map you should not be able to Add any World maps which was also listed on the Unit description you posted.

Regarding the difference between the GO6200 Pro and the GO6250 Pro both units have an inbuilt Sim capable of receiving data from the Tomtom servers without the need for a smartphone thus using the owners mobile data. In essence Tomtom are offering the user the option to pay for traffic if they want to or have it for life as an up front cost. The Garmin unit you suggested you would switch to will require the use of a Smartphone for traffic unless you buy the 10" unit which has a special Cable.

Regarding your final comment if you read the details on the Tomtom Website it is clear that the GO6200 Pro comes with only 1 years Traffic etc and not as you stated in your post on the 12th October that it says lifetime on the website. In that post you started it also says lifetime on the Box which if true raises a totally different situation. In your post you said that the Traffic etc was shown as expired. This is a situation that can arise when the units first set up on the TT servers and is simply resolved by the TT mods on here when it is brought to their attention which is why I suggested they would pick it up. If I had not pointed out the ! year issue in my initial post the service would have been sorted and it would have been a year before you found out your assumption that Lifetime applied was an error.

Doug
    Can the TT mods please fix my TomTom Go Professional 6200 (truck) as it is apparently meant to come with live traffic and speed camera update, both of which are showing as expired when they shouldn’t be. Apparently this Nav has a built in Sim that connects to smart phone to allow traffic etc. Please can this be fixed as this is only a new Nav?
    Superuser
    Hi @Truckerman

Hopefully @VikramK will pick this up and check the settings for your unit on the TT servers and adjust if necessary. Look back later.

Just to clarify the inbuilt sim does not connect to a smartphone it connects to the TT servers via the mobile network.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,454 Moderator
    edited October 15
    Hi @Truckerman
    I have asked my team to fix the embedded service for your TomTom. As Doug said before, the GO PROFESSIONAL comes with Lifetime maps but the Traffic and Speed Cameras services will be valid for 1 year.

Please do a soft reset and check for updates.

Regards, Vikram
    Thank you. Will the 1 year traffic and Speed camera start from today then?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,454 Moderator
    Truckerman wrote: »
    Thank you. Will the 1 year traffic and Speed camera start from today then?

After performing a soft reset - when the TomTom connects to our servers via WiFi®

Regards, Vikram