Traffic not working

Comments

• nigelbbb
    nigelbbb Registered Users Posts: 111
    Supreme Navigator
    I'm on the Three network in the UK but hadn't seen any problems with Traffic until yesterday when it wasn't working during my journey from Portsmouth to Colchester. Unfortunately the M25 motorways was closed from Junction 8 to Junction 10 by environmental activists & it was only after I saw signs indicating the motorway closure that I noticed that Traffic wasn't working.

I tried the fix of using a VPN but unfortunately NordVPN wasn't playing ball either. I eventually switched to Apple Maps which was really rather good with turn by turn navigation & voice instructions. If i didn't have a subscription to TomTom I think that I could be perfectly happy with Apple Maps.

Today Traffic is working. So what went wrong yesterday?
  • Lalala73
    Lalala73 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    I first reported this issue to Tomtom in October 2020 on an iPhone 8 with Three network . Bought an iPhone 12 in April 2021 and the issue went away . Only to come back in August . If I get my partner to hotspot his phone and I join his network via WiFi everything works fine . On mobile network I don’t think traffic ever connects , I’ve noticed in those first 5-8 mins before you get the grey car symbol I don’t get speed cameras either .

I bought the “lifetime” Tomtom app many years ago and was forced to migrate to the Tomtom go app when they stopped supporting the lifetime app - with a promise of 3 years of free traffic . I’ve been patiently trying and testing fixes for the past 12 months and am officially giving up now . Tomtom have had a year to fix it . It’s a shame as I think their traffic services are the best and willing to pay for them and advocate to others as well but the fact they can’t fix this is a joke

I’m not techy so no idea how to vpn from my mobile , the iPhone 12 will not allow you to choose 3G and I can’t keep borrowing my partners mobile hotspot . So can we turn this thread into what traffic services should I use instead? I’ve been trying Waze and Google but might give Apple maps another go ( I haven’t opened it since it was first launched )
  • nigelbbb
    nigelbbb Registered Users Posts: 111
    Supreme Navigator
    I looked at Apple maps when they first came out & found them pretty primitive compared to Google maps but was very impressed with the functionality when I was forced to use them the other day when Traffic failed on TomTom.
  • lukm
    lukm Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer
    nigelbbb wrote: »
    I looked at Apple maps when they first came out & found them pretty primitive compared to Google maps but was very impressed with the functionality when I was forced to use them the other day when Traffic failed on TomTom.

Same here. I commute around the M25 and traffic from tomtom has been essential for me. I started using apple maps again, and have to say have not been disappointed. I still prefer the tomtom interface with the traffic bar, and prefer the layout on car play, but apple maps is proving to be a great alternative!
  • Chusan
    Chusan Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Traveler
    Seguimos arrastrando el problema…. Me parece una absoluta verguenza por parte de tomtom
  • GoGo42
    GoGo42 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Saw a new tomtom go update in the app store installed it and i can confirm that it still DOESNT work so the issue with low volume after directions/alerts is still there!!

Great update TomTom and thanks for not responding here!!
  • Feckweed405
    Feckweed405 Registered Users Posts: 85
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    GoGo42 wrote: »
    Saw a new tomtom go update in the app store installed it and i can confirm that it still DOESNT work so the issue with low volume after directions/alerts is still there!!

Ugh. I wonder if that was fixed. Sorry! I think the steer to reroute was changed as an option vs the only thing we had. Let’s hope another fix comes soon!
  • TorenPjp
    TorenPjp Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have been having trouble with no live traffic for a few months now and haven’t been using the app at all. The live traffic doesn’t work when I have my 4G on. If I’m at home on WiFi the traffic does work and if I turn my 4G off and just use the 3G option then it does work but limited signal availability. Can anyone help with this problem it will be hugely appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Toren
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @TorenPjp

If you are using 3 as your sim provider then there appears to be an issue. Does your IPhone model enable you to select 3G as the mobile feed if so try that.

Doug
  • brownale99
    brownale99 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Master Explorer
    Well, that's it for me, it's been over 12 months since I made the original post on here and I've given up hope and cancelled my subscription, no idea how to go about claiming for lost services as you just end up going round in circles so that's 2 years money wasted. After running into countless jams and being diverted around jams that aren't there anymore as the traffic updated over hotel wifi hours before I've ended up the new using apple maps. It's a crying shame as I've used TomTom since the days of palm pilot and GPS dongles but I refuse to pay for something I'm not getting and the support has been non existent.
  • PeeWee123
    PeeWee123 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    GoGo42 wrote: »

TT's IT development team are about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. And they NEVER respond. The software has got worse and the fixes far and few between. Maybe they've outsourced it?
  • TorenPjp
    TorenPjp Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    @DougLap yes it does but the 3G connection is much worse compared to 4G in the areas needed. And you’re right it does work but it should work with 4G which Hasn’t been resolved in the few months the issue has continued for
  • Digdeep
    Digdeep Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Jürgen wrote: »
    We see some users report issues with Traffic in the Apple App Store. Can you help us by answering the following questions (whereby I filled in what we already know)?
    • Network operator
    • Package / SIM type (pay as you go, monthly etc)
    • Cellular network type: 3G, 4G etc - 4G
    • Which iOS version - iOS14.0.1
    • Which iPhone device - iPhone 11 pro
    • Type of network access on the phone when problem occurs: Cellular only - WiFi works
    • Have they tried resetting network settings in iPhone Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings - Restored iPhone
    Jürgen wrote: »
    We see some users report issues with Traffic in the Apple App Store. Can you help us by answering the following questions (whereby I filled in what we already know)?
    • Network operator
    • Package / SIM type (pay as you go, monthly etc)
    • Cellular network type: 3G, 4G etc - 4G
    • Which iOS version - iOS14.0.1
    • Which iPhone device - iPhone 11 pro
    • Type of network access on the phone when problem occurs: Cellular only - WiFi works
    • Have they tried resetting network settings in iPhone Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings - Restored iPhone

• Digdeep
    Digdeep Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    After reading all these posts regarding no traffic information while on 4g, from a year ago.
    I’m having all these issues too.
    Located in Aust
    Telstra
    IPhone 11 Pro
    I have reset network,
    Removed and reinstalled tomtom go.
    Rebooted phone

My iPad is working fine, iv checked all settings (unless I missed one) . compared settings between iPhone and iPad, I can’t see anything different.

I still can’t get traffic on my iPhone while on 4g. And I just confirmed with my wife’s iPhone that’s it’s traffic info not working either.
  • LarryM2619
    LarryM2619 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Master Explorer
    edited October 2021
    It is abundantly clear that this is a widespread issue and NOT something users can fix.

Previously reported workarounds do not fix it - the idea of reverting to 3G is laughable since many phones do not have that option; whatsmore reverting to 3G degrades the user experience across everything (if you can do it).

TomTom keep advertising the Live Traffic Update feature when the know it does not work - is this false advertising?

TomTom reps - do you actually know what the problem with your software is? Other GPS systems can integrate Live Traffic Update (equivalents) in their apps. This has been going on for over a year now.

It is time to fix or come clean. Refunding everyone a year’s subscription to Live Traffic Updates, with an additional year for good will, will be a start. Stop advertising the feature until it works. Fix it.

Thank you from a very frustrated user.

By the way, iPhone 12 with latest update (iOS 15.0.2), TomTom Go app version 2.7.2, Telstra monthly plan, in Perth Australia. Does not work in 5G or 4G (3 G option not available). Do not use wifi when driving …..
  • DVR46
    DVR46 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Novice Seeker
    edited October 2021
    Every time I use my map to navigate somewhere after about 1-3min it comes up with X in the top right corner we’re traffic updates should be I don’t know how to fix this
  • DVR46
    DVR46 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Novice Seeker
    I’m having this same issue in Australia
  • ACamsell
    ACamsell Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    I have been having this issue for over a year now and I am absolutely astounded that TomTom haven't been able to provide a fix. As I've said in previous posts, absolutely no other app I use requires me to switch to 3G to use its features. This is not what you expect from a global leader in sat-nav technology. It is truly appalling that they haven't dealt with this.
  • LarryM2619
    Master Explorer
    LarryM2619 wrote: »
    It is abundantly clear that this is a widespread issue and NOT something users can fix.

Previously reported workarounds do not fix it - the idea of reverting to 3G is laughable since many phones do not have that option; whatsmore reverting to 3G degrades the user experience across everything (if you can do it).

TomTom keep advertising the Live Traffic Update feature when the know it does not work - is this false advertising?

TomTom reps - do you actually know what the problem with your software is? Other GPS systems can integrate Live Traffic Update (equivalents) in their apps. This has been going on for over a year now.

It is time to fix or come clean. Refunding everyone a year’s subscription to Live Traffic Updates, with an additional year for good will, will be a start. Stop advertising the feature until it works. Fix it.

Thank you from a very frustrated user.

By the way, iPhone 12 with latest update (iOS 15.0.2), TomTom Go app version 2.7.2, Telstra monthly plan, in Perth Australia. Does not work in 5G or 4G (3 G option not available). Do not use wifi when driving …..

Update - raised issue on Apple App Store as a review. Rather ordinary response - starts ‘we understand your concern’. Also ‘ We are working actively on this and will let you know as soon as a fix is available.’

Hardly - they certainly do not understand the concern and a year to fix this? Really? Meanwhile they continue to advertise the ‘feature’ and take our subscriptions. Does not sound like they understand.
  • loekf
    loekf Registered Users Posts: 64
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    I posted a rant on the announcement of the 2.8 release and as a question. For some reason I can't enter a support ticket today. Tomtom's site keeps redirecting me to the support forums.

I can also confirm 2.8 still doesn't fix it (KPN NL in Netherlands). When using VPN it works. Also, don't start your route with VPN already active. TomTom Go crashes. First start your route, then enable VPN.

Traffic is usually updated when you start a route.

So first leave VPN off. Start a route, then enable VPN. Then it usually takes 5 minutes before Traffic is updated. I think it updates at regular 5 min. or so intervals.

Of course it's PITA that initially you don't see delays, but blame it on TomTom and their crappy SW.
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,966
    Hi @DVR46

Welcome to the Community! There's a similar report on DE forum but on the Android Auto screen. Can you please provide us with your device model, Android version, and App version?

Best, lampard
  • guy01992
    guy01992 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Hi there, TomTom says not connected to internet using THREE network simcard. I have to use a VPN to be able to connect to the TomTom traffic system. Can this be looked into please. Works fine on wifi and using a VPN. Does not work with THREE network on its own. Three network is a UK network.
  • guy01992
    guy01992 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    By any chance are you on THREE network?
  • LarryM2619
    Master Explorer
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @DVR46

Welcome to the Community! There's a similar report on DE forum but on the Android Auto screen. Can you please provide us with your device model, Android version, and App version?

Best, lampard

Hi @lampard and team, can’t speak for @DVR46 but this discussion is about the iPhone app.

There may well be a problem with the Android version, however given that there has been a LOT of detail provided by iPhone users in this discussion, I, and likely ‘we’, would appreciate an update, acknowledgement that this has been an issue for over twelve months, and acceptance that you will do something to compensate those who have subscriptions but not able to use this ‘feature’.

Further, as per previous discussions and feedback, please STOP advertising Live Traffic updates as a feature - clearly does not work in most/all circumstances.

Your lack of actually addressing the points raised in the discussion is very frustrating.
  • loekf
    loekf Registered Users Posts: 64
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    LarryM2619 wrote: »
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @DVR46

Best, lampard

Hi @lampard and team, can’t speak for @DVR46 but this discussion is about the iPhone app.

There may well be a problem with the Android version, however given that there has been a LOT of detail provided by iPhone users in this discussion, I, and likely ‘we’, would appreciate an update, acknowledgement that this has been an issue for over twelve months, and acceptance that you will do something to compensate those who have subscriptions but not able to use this ‘feature’.

Further, as per previous discussions and feedback, please STOP advertising Live Traffic updates as a feature - clearly does not work in most/all circumstances.

Your lack of actually addressing the points raised in the discussion is very frustrating.

Yeah, Tomtom is very stubborn listening to its users and not able to fixing this bug which has been around for 1.5 years now.

@lampard : read the endless posts here. I am convinced it all comes down to the iOS app or Android app not able to find Tomtom servers for cloud services and traffic when the cell phone provider supports IPv6 on 4G or 5G. On an iPhone you can not downgrade to IPv4, on Android you can.
This discussion has been closed.