Traffic not working

Comments

• sjorge
    sjorge Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    Some more interesting data points wrt DNS...

I managed to convince IT to redirect 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 to our internal server. So now the internal DNS will reply to queries send to these 4 servers.

That seems to be enough to get traffic to work on Corp Wifi and via VPN!

So I'm now pretty confident that not having access to some well known public DNS server is causing the issues, I suspect some code in TomTom or maybe even in a library it is using is failing to detect 'internet access' is available due to DNS not working to those public resolvers.
  • Haworthman75
    Haworthman75 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    For a few months now the online connection drops out and the only way to get it back is to stop mobile data and restart it. Not great when you’re driving. The app is the latest 2.4.1 and the phone is also fully updated to iOS 14.3. The issue was present before these updates. I’m currently using an iPhone SE 2020 which I’ve had since Christmas but it was happening on my previous phone, an original 2016 SE. I have no issues with any other app on mobile data. I’m with the Three network and have been for long before the issue started.
  • loekf
    loekf Registered Users Posts: 64
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    TomTom, can you please fix this ?

This morning I had to go briefly to work:

The app has no working traffic and MyDrive working if you rely on cellular data

As soon as I enable VPN all is ok again.

My cellular provider is KPN in the Netherlands.

As the poster above writes, must be some DNS issue. I'm not going to reset network settings, because then I loose all WIFI passwords I have collected so far. So the workaround is enabling VPN, but it is a very annoying bug.
  • loekf
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    For the record, traffic is working again for me (KPN, Netherlands. I suspect a iOS update (14.4) and a carrier update did the trick.
  • Simon_Gerrard18
    Simon_Gerrard18 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited February 2021
    Traffic hasn’t worked in my iPhone XR for at least six months.
    It is impossible to speak to a human being at TomTom about this. The nearest I’ve got to help is by posting on TomTom twitter posts which gets the attention of people posing as customer support personnel which send you direct messages to get you away from the public feed. Speaking of feeds you then get generic answers saying we are working on the problem and we will let you know when it is fixed, it’s not been months.
    Anyone else having the same problem.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,041
    Superuser
    Hi @Simon_Gerrard18

Is the absence of Traffic when using the Tomtom App or when linking your Iphone to a Tomtom PND.

Doug
  • Simon_Gerrard18
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited February 2021
    Hi Doug
    When using the TomTom app.
    It works if I tether it to my iPad but on my phone I just get an X in the traffic column
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Simon_Gerrard18

If you Tap Menu, Tap System , Tap Your information are both options there Selected.

Doug
  • Simon_Gerrard18
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes, they are.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited February 2021
    Hi @Simon_Gerrard18

If you Tap Menu then Tap Tomtom Services Is the first Option selected and does it give you the option to Log out of your Tomtom Account at the bottom?

You could try completely deleting the App and reloading it to see if that effects a change.

If you Tap Settings on the iPhone and scroll down and Select Tomtom Go does the first line say that Location say it can be used and is th last option Mobile Dtat selected.

Doug
  • Simon_Gerrard18
    Apprentice Seeker
    I’ve tried logging out of the app numerous times, then deleting it and reinstalling it, no difference.

Yes to location and and mobile data enabled.

Three on twitter said, ‘enable your service providers VPN and test the app. But didn’t say how to do that?????

Also, I was in France recently and traffic worked perfectly but when I got back to the Uk. It stopped working.
    It also works if I tether my iphone to my iPad, which is also on Three.

Any idea what the VPN thing is?
  • Simon_Gerrard18
    Apprentice Seeker
    I should also say that traffic work sporadically then goes off.😡
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,408
    Community Manager
    @Simon_Gerrard18
    I'm afraid this is a known issues a few users see. We've moved your thread.

We could not reproduce this ourselves using a Three sim from our London office. Is your iPhone a business phone? One user with T-Mobile Netherlands reported that the issue was fixed after an update from his carrier.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Simon_Gerrard18

I wonder if you could check something. I cannot on my IPhone 12 but I think there is a facility on your model to restrict the mobile data to work in 3G. If so can you try this and see if Traffic then works.

Please let us know.

Doug
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    When Traffic is not working for you, can you please check on https://ipv6-test.com/ if IPv6 is supported with your provider?
  • Markyj06
    Markyj06 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    I’m on three uk, still having same problem as everyone else, works for 10 mins then on traffic refresh goes offline
  • Markyj06
    Markyj06 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    ko2uu137mm4i.png

That’s the result for ipv6 from three iPhone x
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    Thanks @Markyj06 - I've forwarded this
  • benr1972
    benr1972 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I have exactly the same issues.

Traffic not working on cellular. Wi-Fi worksr1e5nnt7ja5u.jpeg
  • loekf
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Still having problems:

KPN (4G) : no traffic
    KPN (4G) + VPN : traffic work
    Vodafone (4G): traffic works
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    loekf wrote: »
    What does this URL show you, does IPv6 work with KPN 4G? https://ipv6-test.com/

• N0_traffic
    N0_traffic Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    After reading several related threads have switched back to 3G in settings and live traffic seems to be stable. Used to drop out on 4G after a few minutes even without moving.

Need to test on the move but so far it doesn't seem to be dropping out.
    Tom Tom Go App 2.5
    Iphone X
    Three (Monthly contract)

• MJNorris100
    MJNorris100 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    edited March 2021
    Hi

I am also having problems with Traffic not working with Apple CarPlay, an iPhone 11 Pro Max and on the EE network. I took on board other suggestions and switched 4G off and Traffic now appears to work until I switch 4G back on again

Mike
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    The 2.6 build we're currently working in should fix this but in the meantime this is perhaps indeed a workaround:
    iOS Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data - select 3G.
  • loekf
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    Jürgen wrote: »
    loekf wrote: »
    What does this URL show you, does IPv6 work with KPN 4G? https://ipv6-test.com/

Sorry for the slow response. Yes, IPv6 is fully working on KPN.

xqvetbhcm1rm.jpg

I also have a Vodafone e-sim in my iPhone 12 Pro. This one does NOT support IPv6. So as I mentioned traffic works on Vodafone, not on KPN.

7cvlg7zfdn9y.jpg
This discussion has been closed.