Traffic not working — TomTom Community

Traffic not working

brownale99brownale99 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
Traffic is greyed out since installing iOS 14. I’ve reset, logged in and out, reinstalled and checked network settings to no avail. Anyone any ideas as I’m stuck

Mod edit: Merged different discussion threads in here

Comments

• shaxdogmanshaxdogman Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have v2.3.1 on an iphone 11 pro with iOS14.0.1. When using the app over mobile network, 5 mins after leaving Wifi coverage, the traffic data icon turns to no-connection icon. When running over Wifi it is fine.

I don't see the "local network" setting under TomTom Go in settings or privacy, and I have never had a popup for TomTom for this either. Other apps do appear in privacy/local network.

Help - looks like v2.3.1 hasn't fixed this for me.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,342
    Superuser
    edited September 30
    Hi @shaxdogman

Interestingly I deleted the App version. 2.3.1 from my Phone with IOS 14.0.1 which was showing Local Network in Tomtom Go in Settings then reloaded the App and the Reference to Local network does not now appear.

Maybe @Jürgen or @lampard can confirm that this is what should happen and suggest what may be the issue re Traffic

Doug
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,674
    Community Manager
    Are we talking about the same settings here? In the Settings of iOS > Privacy > Local Network I have one entry for TomTom GO (end-user) and it is switched off. I switched of WiFi, then opened the app and it is showing traffic for me using 4G.

There is no second entry under Local Network for GO Navigation (beta) which I had indeed uninstalled / re-installed to test the messaging fix in 2.3.1.
    Thanks Jurgan. Yes its the same setting - I dont have TomTom listed under Local Network.
    I did a little more testing - I get traffic initially over 4G, but after 5 mins it shows the no traffic data icon, though I can see the original traffic on the map. If I use Wifi, or even VPN over 4G, the "no traffic icon" does not appear.
    I have also tried Reset Network Settings, and deleting & re-installing the TomTom Go app.
    Superuser
    Hi @shaxdogman

Is your Mobile Data turned on in Settings.

Doug
    Yes Doug it is - and against TomTom Go
    Community Manager
    If you go to Settings in iOS and scroll all the way down to TomTom GO, is Mobile Data enabled?
    Yes it is Jurgen - and I tried turning it off (& wifi), then starting TomTom Go. I then get a popup saying mobile data is off, with the option to go to Settings.
    Community Manager
    Strange - this must be somewhere in the settings, probable those for mobile data. When WiFi isn't available, upon the first refresh there no longer is traffic data.
    Agree. I have just tried on my ipad on iOS14.0.1 using 4G data (same operator as my iphone) & thats working fine. I think I need to try restoring the iphone, which I will do during today.
    Having done a restore on the iphone, I still see the same issue over 4G.
    Any further suggestions welcomed :-)
    Community Manager
    edited October 2
    We see some users report issues with Traffic in the Apple App Store. Can you help us by answering the following questions (whereby I filled in what we already know)?
    • Network operator
    • Package / SIM type (pay as you go, monthly etc)
    • Cellular network type: 3G, 4G etc - 4G
    • Which iOS version - iOS14.0.1
    • Which iPhone device - iPhone 11 pro
    • Type of network access on the phone when problem occurs: Cellular only - WiFi works
    • Have they tried resetting network settings in iPhone Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings - Restored iPhone
    Community Manager
    @shaxdogman
    Can you tell me who your network provider is and what type of subscription the SIM uses? The rest of the info we need to try reproduce the issue we already got from you.
    Thanks!
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,880 Moderator
    Hi @brownale99

Welcome to the Community! Please first reset network settings in iPhone Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. When you start the app, please go to 'Phone Settings > TomTom GO > Local Network' and make sure that the permission is enabled. See if this restores the traffic on your app.

We saw some similar reports and if the issue still persists for you, please provide us with the below information?
    • Network operator
    • Package / SIM type (pay as you go, monthly, etc)
    • Cellular network type: 3G/4G?
    • Which iOS version?
    • Which iPhone device?
    • Type of network access on the phone when a problem occurs: Cellular/WiFi?

Regards, lampard
  • brownale99brownale99 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for the reply. I’ve reset the network settings in the iPhone and the only local network I can find on the iPhone is under privacy/local network and TomTom isn’t listed here, I’m on cellular so would it be? I tried these before reinstalling a while ago and have tried after but still nothing

Three
    Rolling monthly contract
    4G
    iOS 14
    iPhone XS
    Problem is when on cellular using the app

Thanks for the help
    Community Manager
    Sorry @brownale99
    One more thing: is this happening while you're in your home country UK?
    Thanks for coming back to @lampard so quickly! :)
    Community Manager
    @shaxdogman
    I assume the problem still persists since we have another user reporting the issue yesterday. Could we still have the forum provider and if this is happening in your home country or abroad?
    Yeah all UK based everything was fine until a few weeks ago and then it just stopped
    Community Manager
    Thanks @brownale99! :)
    Community Manager
    It seems not to be provider specific from what we found out by now. If you could help with the following:
    • Is this a private or a company phone that might have any restrictions?
    • Do you have no Traffic over celluar in 100% of the times or is it 99% or or less?

Thanks,
    Jürgen
    Hi Jürgen, the phone is a personal one and there’s no restrictions that I know of. Traffic was working 100% but since upgrading to iOS 14 it hasn’t worked at all, the traffic symbol is greyed out as son as the app is started.
    Superuser
    Hi @brownale99

Have you updated to iOS 14 or IOS 14.0.1?

Doug
    Phone is updated to iOS 14.1
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 87 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    @brownale99 Are you sure? In case you have really updated to iOS 14.1 then you should be a Beta-user, because the latest 'regular' iOS update is 14.0.1.
  • gortomasgortomas Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Same applies to me. Exactly 100% same. Only reason I did not report is because I couldn’t get to a human.. custumer support is just a prepared questions and answers which doesn’t help. I noticed for last good 2 weeks so it started to work offline every single day.

I got updated it to 14.0.1, app got newest update in, my network is three and I got unlimited data. However last 2 weeks it did not work at all.

I also noticed that it does work on wifi, when I get into my car and while I’m setting my route while Wifi is still available - it works. But once I leave and drive few metres away it stops working. I doubt its my network provider fault, three always been bad for data availability but till ios 14 update my live services been fine 🤷‍♂️ Now I got to drive 20 miles through the london each day in peak time without traffic updates and last 2 weeks was really hard.