Suggestion: Alert sound variety — TomTom Community

Suggestion: Alert sound variety

David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
I've noticed in the relatively short time I have been using this Application, it appears to only have one sound.
If there is a speed camera ahead; or if you exceed the speed limit, it is the same sound.
I have yet to encounter other alert conditions yet, but if there are others, I suspect they are the same too.

If the alert sound could be varied depending on the type, then there would be less necessity to look at the phone rather than the road to respond the the alert.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,338
    Superuser
    Hi @David_Green_7

I do not have the Android App but have the IOS version

Are you not able to select a Computerised Voice from the selection of voices available. If you can then this should give you more detailed Directional information and with the additional settings in Warnings and Sounds you can select to have the warnings type set to Read Aloud Warnings . With the latter setting you get the sound followed by a description of what Cameras etc it is warning about.

Doug
  • David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks @DougLap, I'll look into that.
    The next journey will tell if such a verbose alert better or worse than a beep alone.
  • David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    If there an option called "Read Aloud Warnings", I could not see that option specifically; there is an option called 'Alert type; Visual, sound & verbal', but that did not seem any different to the previously employed 'Alert type; Visual & sound'.
    4c0rbovd7bhc.png
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,338
    Superuser
    Hi @David_Green_7

I see that the android version is different to the IOS version. With the settings you are showing it should be that if you approach a Cameras you should get a sound then the addition of Fixed Camera or Mobile Camera describing the type.

I you want to check you do not need to go out and drive past the Cameras. When you have the map showing scroll in to where a camera is sited and Press on the screen for a second or so on th road some reasonable distance before where the camera is sited. A black icon appears which if you tap you can see 3 vertical dots next to drive, tap the 3 dots and select Use as a Starting Point. Then do a similar action at a point after where the camera is only this time select Plan.

When you have done that a route will be created between the points. Now Tap menu/ Tap Current Route and select Preview route. You will now see the what you would see and hear if you were driving along it.

Also if you leave the Tomtom App on with no route on it whilst you are driving you may also hear the camera warnings as you approach like you would on a PND and with the IOS App.

Doug