TOMTOM 6250 PRO GPRS DISCONNECTED! NO LIFE TRAFFIC... HELP — TomTom Community

TOMTOM 6250 PRO GPRS DISCONNECTED! NO LIFE TRAFFIC... HELP

ARTINKARTINK Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi, all. After purchasing a brand new sat nav I have troubles activating the life traffic options. I have watched all of your videos and reset the device and still, nothing happens. GPRS Disconnected. What to do?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,338
    Superuser
    Hi @ARTINK

If you are checking the state of your GPRS whist the unit is connected to your Wifi it will show as disconnected as Wifi takes priority. You should check when out of range..

Hopefully @VikramK can check and change if appropriate the settings for your unit on the TT servers.

Look back here later.

Doug
  • ARTINKARTINK Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @DougLap

I was on the road all night with this sat nav and no wifi was available. It was connected to my phone and still nothing. I had 6100 and never had any issues for over 5-6 years. Now reading your message I have switched off completely my wifi router at home and then the same issue. The message is: We are having trouble accessing TomTom services. Please try later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,690
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ARTINK
    Welcome to the site....
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @ARTINK

Maybe @VikramK can check the settings for your Unit on the TT servers. Look back here later. (May be Monday now)

Doug
    Hi all,

Please let's take this really serious now! I have done everything as suggested and no success whatsoever. It looks like your troubleshooting system is not working on my device and I can't really see the point why I have to wait until Monday to get @VikramK to look for other possible issues when I have started this conversation as early as 9:26 am today. I appreciate your time guys but dealing with such an issue shouldn't be taking that long. I pay and I want the product working. The number unsatisfied customers especially with this 6250 Pro is getting far bigger and you should have solved this by now! No disrespect to car sat nav users but we are HGV drivers and this is how we put food on our table. The same thing is if you lose your PC now (how you're going to be useful for the organisation that you work for)??? I've been with TomTom for a number of years and really wish to be for few more but please help or send me replacement device cause I can't spend any more time playing with it. It shouldn't be that hard to set up a device that costs over £380!

Thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @ARTINK

This is a customer based forum where users, like the 2 of us who have posted here, try to help one another. Unfortunately having flagged your issue within minutes of your first post to @VikramK, who is one of the few TT employees who keep a close eye on what goes on in the forum, he has not picked it up today and so will not be back here until Monday. Usually I would have expected him to have responded quickly but unfortunately not in this instance..

Doug
    Hi @DougLap,

In that case, I know how to proceed from now on. Looking for the alternative product on the market with better support if a faulty device. Thanks and sorry for being annoying!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,690
    Superusers
    edited September 25
    Hi
    @ARTINK
    With your 6250 PROFESSIONAL fully charged
    NOT Connected to USB on your PC and NOT Connected over Wi-Fi....
    To forget Wi-Fi See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704163/#Comment_1704163
    The USB & Wi-Fi connections have a higher priority to the Data Connection than the GPRS SIM....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About....
    Does 'Traffic' report... Activated ???
    Scroll down....
    Does your 'Data Connection' report... Built-in SIM
    Does your GPRS SIM report 'Connected'
    GPRS Model xx.xx.xxx

I assume you tried to register & set up your device today ???
    The restrictions as a result of the Coronavirus, Social Distancing and people working from home, are probably delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Account’/Devices....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators would normally pick this up Today and check/correct your Tomtom Account status.....
    But Now this won't be picked up until Monday Also Tomtom Chat and Email ore only available Weekdays (Normal Office hours)

Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...(Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on Your WI-FI name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices connected over Wi-Fi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if MyDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If you're using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC Taskbar... The NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan,

I have my account for many years now and the device was set up, fully charge and already tested on the road for a full night out. I have completely removed my other device as a 1st step. Thanks again for the long and clear message but I have done all of this. My connection is excellent, my life traffic is activated, forgot the wifi, reset settings, done that Soft/Drum restart and still nothing changes. GPRS used to say disconnected but now is connected and still no life traffic. I will give it a chance for the weekend and see how it goes. If nothing by Monday I will have to return it cause without life traffic in London especially and surroundings it's a no-no game.

THANK YOU AGAIN AND STAY SAFE.

ANY OTHER INFO IS WELCOMED!
    Superuser
    Hi @ARTINK

It could well be that during the set up the units settings have not been completed correctly on the TT servers. There have been a few instances of this occurring and so if that is the case here then @VikramK can quickly resolve the issue on Monday. It is not something you have done to cause this it just appears to happen occasionally. So it will be worth waiting until then before taking any other action especially as it is usually commented that Tomtom’s Traffic is superior to that on other units.

I have a competitors Camper unit which is similar in many ways to the Truck units with vehicle details being input and is fully up to date. The routing locally, I am within 23 miles of central London, is not as good as the TT Camper unit I now have. It refuses to recommend a main A route home but adds an extra 5+ miles to a 9 mile route. Until recently if I forced it to take the A road it directed me as I believe it should and TT recommends except it added a detour through a shopping parade car park. Now it has corrected the detour error after over 2 years but instead of just taking the detour out of the route has added another 2 miles.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap,

Thanks for the advice. I'm ok to wait till Monday with the hope that it would be a matter of an easy fix. Like I said everything else seems to be working fine and no issues at all. I have used my old TomTom 6100 since it was launched until the last few months when it was time for an upgrade. It was still working as it was on the first day and no probs whatsoever. Gave it to a member of the family and now is still in use. I had a cheap HGV sat nav substitution and it worked very well but really missing the life traffic options cause this could save me a good few hours every day. I do travel in the North of England as well and M6 is bad almost every day. 6100 got me out of trouble many many times. So now looking forward to that easy fix and my enjoyable new experience with the 6250. Let's see...

Thanks again and hope you have a good weekend (smashing weather again)! 😂
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,428 Moderator
    Hi @ARTINK

Welcome to the community! The activation of the service should happen when you factory reset the device and log-in on your TomTom using your account credentials.

We had to manually activate the services in this case, please do a soft reset and check for updates.

Regards, Vikram