Why won’t my TomTom Bluetooth earphones turn on? — TomTom Community

Why won’t my TomTom Bluetooth earphones turn on?

OMurphyOMurphy Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
I purchased a pair of TomTom Bluetooth earphones directly from the website which arrived yesterday but they will not turn on. When I connect them to charge the light goes red at first then changes to blue after a few seconds which would indicate that they’re fully charged. However when I hold down the power button as instructed nothing happens.

I’ve tried using the digital support online but there are no articles that help and I can’t find an email address or customer service number to seek further help.

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,384
    Superusers
    Did you just buy them from TomTom Sports directly? I was not aware they were selling them as they went out of business almost 3 years ago and stopped producing them at the time. You may want to return them as you can get a far better pair elsewhere for less money (any BT headset will work) and I imagine those have been sitting on a shelf for 3 years so the battery may be depleted. Are you sure you are holding down the correct button? Do you get any tones or sounds? Since you just bought them you should be able to get warranty coverage by contacting Support using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Only email and chat support exists for watches and their accessories.
  • OMurphyOMurphy Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    tfarabaugh wrote: »
    Did you just buy them from TomTom Sports directly? I was not aware they were selling them as they went out of business almost 3 years ago and stopped producing them at the time. You may want to return them as you can get a far better pair elsewhere for less money (any BT headset will work) and I imagine those have been sitting on a shelf for 3 years so the battery may be depleted. Are you sure you are holding down the correct button? Do you get any tones or sounds? Since you just bought them you should be able to get warranty coverage by contacting Support using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Only email and chat support exists for watches and their accessories.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I bought them directly from the TomTom website but wasn’t aware they had gone out of business. Yes I’m holding the button down as instructed but there is no audio saying “power on” like my previous pair would do. I’ve raised a ticket to have them returned/refunded now. I thought only TomTom earphones worked with the watch? I have tried other types before but none of them ever seem to pair with my watch.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,384
    Superusers
    OMurphy wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I bought them directly from the TomTom website but wasn’t aware they had gone out of business. Yes I’m holding the button down as instructed but there is no audio saying “power on” like my previous pair would do. I’ve raised a ticket to have them returned/refunded now. I thought only TomTom earphones worked with the watch? I have tried other types before but none of them ever seem to pair with my watch.

Most BT LE devices should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is because cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, time outs, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc. TomTom cannot change their code every time a manufacturers messes with the BT coding. This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not. At a minimum they need to be BT LE and support A2DP and AVRCP, the two protocols necessary to play music. Your best bet is to buy them from someplace with a good return policy so if they don't work you can return them and try another brand.
  • OMurphyOMurphy Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    OMurphy wrote: »

Most BT LE devices should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is because cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, time outs, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc. TomTom cannot change their code every time a manufacturers messes with the BT coding. This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not. At a minimum they need to be BT LE and support A2DP and AVRCP, the two protocols necessary to play music. Your best bet is to buy them from someplace with a good return policy so if they don't work you can return them and try another brand.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I’ll give a different pair a try.