Warning sound for speed cameras on TomTom Go Premium X — TomTom Community

Warning sound for speed cameras on TomTom Go Premium X

Gerard1943Gerard1943 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
The warning sound for speed cameras does not work (anymore).
I suspect that this occurred after the installation of an update.
How can I remedy this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Gerard1943Gerard1943 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No comments
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,872
    Superuser
    Hi @Gerard1943

After checking the Settings in Warnings and Sounds are as you want them then I would try a Soft Reset.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034215/how-to-reset-your-navigation-device/p1?new=1

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,079
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Gerard1943
    Welcome to the site...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) -->

ecf3doo6egew.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • LittleTykeLittleTyke Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have the same problem with my TomTom GO BASIC as of 11/Nov/20.

I received a system update on 10/Nov/20 and since then the speed camera warnings have stopped sounding. TomTom Support told me to do a factory reset, which I did. Then I checked that the speed camera alerts were all still enabled and subscriptions activated and went for a test drive to the nearest speed camera, which always triggers the alert (30mph).

But the warning did not sound. I've updated TomTom Support accordingly and am waiting for their response.
    YamFazMan: After I did the hard reset a couple of days ago on the advice of TT Support, the Warning type was set to Sounds. I left it like that, as I assumed it's sounds that I want to hear when approaching a speed camera.

When you say "Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Aloud... " what does that setting actually do? Does the device not ding, but instead read something out to me? That's not what I had before. I just had the ding before every speed camera.

Ah, according to the TT manual I downloaded (PDF) page 137:

Read Aloud
    Hear spoken warnings and warning sounds.

Sounds
    Hear only warning sounds.

Visual only
    No warning sounds are given.

However, after my next test drive tomorrow, if the ding still doesn't sound, I'll park up and change the Warning type to Read Aloud to see what happens when I approach the same speed camera on the way back (works usually in both directions). Note that I have been using Serena since getting the device. I had to set the voice back to Serena after that hard reset I mentioned.

Second, re your comment "If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual Warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera", that is how it used to be before I did the hard reset. Not just the presence of speed cameras, but roadworks, slow traffic etc. But on today's trip there was NO information about speed cameras displayed in the Traffic bar In fact, no information whatsoever. Just a vertical bar with the start arrow at the bottom and the chequered flag at the top. I'll take a screenshot of that, too, tomorrow. By the way, the GO BASIC user manual packed in the device package uses the term 'route bar'. Is this what you mean by 'Traffic bar'?

Now in my other reply to you this afternoon in a different thread, I explained how the subscriptions in About are set tp 'Activated' when I'm at home, but change to greyed out with a cross over the little icons when I'm out on a trip. (I parked up and checked.)

YamFazMan: I just had a brainwave! Since I did make a trip this morning to the supermarket, I fired up the TT on my desk at home and selected 'Recent destination' then selected the route I took. This is what the screen looks like right now:

d8wqze6vd74q.png

But during my trip the route bar showed nothing except a vertical bar with the chequered flag at the top, as I said just now.

Superusers
    edited November 2020
    Hi
    @LittleTyke
    LittleTyke wrote: »
    (Snip) When you say "Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Aloud... What does that setting actually do? Does the device not ding, but instead read something out to me? That's not what I had before. I just had the ding before every speed camera. (Snip)
    Ah, according to the TT manual I downloaded (PDF) page 137:
    Read Aloud
    Hear spoken warnings and warning sounds.(Snip)
    Yes you get the triple dong warning sounds and the associated spoken warnings
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited November 2020
    Hi
    @LittleTyke
    Edit....
    I realize the Go Premium has Lifetime Traffic & Speed Cams But
    On your GO Basic have you checked to see if they are Activated ???
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    YamFazMan: "I realize the Go Premium has Lifetime Traffic & Speed Cams... But have you checked to see if they are Activated ???"

My device is a GO BASIC. It has Lifetime Traffic, but the Speed Cams are only for three months (from new) and then one has to take out a subscription which lasts for a year. I bought my annual sub on 13/Apr/20.

When I'm at home or in my driveway, i.e. within WiFi reception range, 'About' says both services are activated and the Speed Camera sub is valid until 12/Apr/21.

I'm just about to go out on a test drive. Expect more screenshots later!

Thanks.
    Superusers
    edited November 2020
    Hi
    @LittleTyke
    Sorry... I read the Topic Page Header instead of your Post....
    When you are out of range of your Home Wi-Fi....
    Or...
    Try logging out of your Wi-Fi....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1729009/#Comment_1729009
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Data Connection....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    YamFazMan: First off, the problem has been fixed! I have my speed camera alert sounds back!

I started my test drive. I set the destination. This is the screenshot just before driving out of WiFi range:

ckpk2vpud3p4.jpg

At approximately one mile from my home I parked up and the speed camera symbol has disappeared:

21nl6nfmgb1f.jpg

Then I remembered reading somewhere to do a SOFT reset, which I did. I held down the on/off switch for 30 secs until the drum roll came.

As if by magic, the speed camera symbol came back!

mq81t6hdpfgf.jpg

I continued the test drive and, yes, the device dinged on approaching the speed camera. To be sure, I set a different destination which has a different speed camera and it dinged there as well.

So there we are.

But one final point: It seems that the 'Activated' status in ...\SystemAbout only appears when the device is in WiFi range, i.e. when I'm at home. Otherwise it's greyed out, even though the speed camera alerts are now working again. Note: I do not have a smart phone, so I only have the WiFi connection at home to do updates. This behaviour may be different for those users who have a smart phone connected to their TomTom with an internet connection via SIM. I don't. I only have an internet connection when I'm at home.

Thanks very much for your comments.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @LittleTyke
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM