tomtom home update deleted eveything! — TomTom Community

tomtom home update deleted eveything!

blackmyerblackmyer Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
I connected my xl to tomtom home and it said there were updates so i let it loose and the first thing it did was delete everything. It has now been connected for 48 hrs with the ball running back and forth with no end in sight. i tried to see if if would restart or reset, nothing says no maps Is this thing junk now? if so, not a very good updater.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,924
    Superuser
    Hi @blackmyer

Some XL models have been declared obsolete so you should not be offered updates except for the map on it if it was sold with lifetime map updates. Was your unit sold with Lifetime maps and what are the first 2 characters of the serial number.

The reason there would be nothing on the unit will arise from the fact that when an updated map is being loaded the original is deleted to make space for the new one. If there is a problem after the then the update can fail and so no maps can be found.

Have you got an extra memory card in the unit and how much space was available on it before the update.

Doug
  • blackmyerblackmyer Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    c_no: gk
    if it was going to wipe everything out and then not put anything back why would it proceed?
    no memory card
    Superuser
    Hi @blackmyer

It could have lost a connection to the TT servers after deleting the old maps and before it completed the update and so loses both.

I can't see GK on the obsolete list so lets see what @VikramK has to say tomorrow. he can have a look at the logs for your unit on the TT servers.

Doug
    thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,474
    Superusers
    edited September 2020
    Hi
    @blackmyer

nmz4s2mpf7d6.jpg
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up Tomorrow check/correct your Tomtom Account status....
    ' if '... the appropriate Map is still available on the servers, allocate it for download on your account....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,933 Moderator
    Hi @blackmyer

The map has been reactivated. Please check for updates in TomTom HOME.

Regards, Vikram
    its been running for 4 hrs, is that normal?
    Vikram, HELP, it has been downloading for 24 hrs, am I doing something wrong? I appreciate any guidance
    Thx
    Superuser
    Hi @blackmyer

@VikramK will not be back on the forum until Monday I am afraid.

Doug
    thanks
    any help would be appreciated
    thx
    edited September 2020
    @blackmyer
    Sorry for my late reply.. For the XL model, unfortunately, there are no logs for us to review in the backend. :/ Difficult to say what could be causing the freezing issue.

My advice would be to configure any settings(security software and firewall) allowing access to downloads in TomTom HOME.

Try reinstalling TomTom HOME or see if it help to install updates on a different computer.

Regards, Vikram

Fixed! Changed computers and worked like a charm. Thank you all for your diligence.
    myer
  • JsforderJsforder Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Hi All I have had exactly the same problem, I connected my XXL Classic and after 3 days of it saying it was downloading from the server it timed out after deleting everything off my device. I managed to get the operating system back on it but I have no maps, It came with the full UK and Europe maps. Can someone help please?
    DougLap wrote: »

Thanks, Doug but unfortunately not, it doesn't show any maps available for download unless I purchase a new one at £35. I bought the device with pre-installed maps, is there any way Tomtom can re allow my map download from Tomtom home?
    Superuser
    Hi @Jsforder

Hopefully @VikramK may be able to help you so look back here tomorrow.

Doug
    Hi @Jsforder Welcome to the community! Map has been reactivated... :) Please check for updates in TomTom HOME...

~ Vikram
    edited September 2020
    Hi @VikramK thanks for the quick reply. unfortunately, no maps are showing in the update.
    Hi @Jsforder

That is a bit strange as the map still shows as active for your TomTom..

Try the following-

----Remove the map to be downloaded again from your device
    From the main menu of TomTom HOME, click on Manage my device.
    If there are maps in the Maps folder, click the checkbox to select the map you wish to download again.
    Click Remove items from the device.
    When the map has been successfully removed, click Done.

----Reinstall TomTom HOME

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013901760

----Install Map

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013961259

Regards, Vikram
    edited September 2020
    @VikramK Ive followed that exactly, there were no maps to remove, ive tried both on my windows pc and macbook and its still not showing any maps. here are the screenshots. Ive also looked in finder at the device and there are no maps on it.
    yfd6ityxikbu.png
    ubf42l8h5umy.jpgb3u2leg1rxaz.jpg

edited September 2020
    Hi @Jsforder

Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Please be careful when you are attaching pictures. I have edited the images to remove your email address.. Avoid sharing of private or personal information on a public forum.

Thanks, Vikram
    @VikramK Ive just looke on totom home and all the maps are there now, thank so much for your help.