iOS 13 and TT Basic — TomTom Community

iOS 13 and TT Basic

Does anyone know, is there any fix yet from TomTom for using an iPhone running iOS 13 with the TT Basic? Since I bought it in December 2019 I have been unable to connect via Bluetooth for more than three notifications (that's the total number in 10 months!) and have never been able to use the phone's 100GB data allowance for updating maps etc as the device simply won’t connect to the phone - one of the main reasons I bought it was so I could update it over wifi using my phone's wifi hotspot - I am allowed to tether and the hotspot works with everything else without trouble and to receive phone notifications on the satnav’s screen.

I've been through every possible solution I've seen here on these forums and those which have been suggested by Tomtom support (which amount to much the same) ranging from updating the firmware to uninstalling and reinstalling the MyDrive app, to pairing/forgetting/re-pairing BT, forgetting wifi connections and to factory resets of the TT itself. I've even tried with a different iPhone and still no connections or notifications!

I'm now preparing to return this to Halfords as the fault was clearly a known issue before I bought it and was just wondering if anyone else has returned theirs?

Not sure what'll happen as it clearly can’t be repaired as there's no fix and replacing it with the same model would have exactly the same issues.

Thanks.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,964
    Superuser
    Hi @55bb

Firstly the GO Basic is designed to be able to process updates to its maps etc by being connected to a Wifi source not to Bluetooth. So either connect it to your Home Wifi if you have it if not connect it to the iPhones Personal Hotspot and try and update the maps etc that way. One thing for certain when you do this you will have to have Bluetooth turned Off on your iPhone as the GO Basic will not see your Hotspot if Bluetooth is on as well..

Regarding Traffic and messaging firstly the Messaging facility is not available as Apple included a security function in IOS13 which prevents the My Drive App functioning as it was designed to and facilitate the messaging. It would appear that a change o the My Drive App will not resolve this.

With the traffic the solution is to do the following.

Delete all the current pairings between the GO Basic and the iPhone on both units then turn them both `Off and On .

Now go to Personal Hotspot in the iPhones Settings and Turn it On.

Now go to the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and turn that on.

Do not at any point open the My Drive App on the Phone.

Now go to Bluetooth on the GO Basic and select Add a Phone.

When the GO basic shows in Bluetooth on your iPhone Tap it then accept the pavings on both units.

You should now get the Traffic data working and the Handsfree as well.

When you use your GO Basic you will have to have both Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot set to ON otherwise it will not work. At no stage will you be asked for the Hotspots password and it will not be shown as connected to the GO Basics Wifi facility.

The only use for the My Drive App on the iPhone is to use it to create routes and save them there and or sync them to the GO Basic just as you do if you open My Drive on your PC.

Doug
  • 55bb55bb Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited September 2020
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @55bb

Firstly the GO Basic is designed to be able to process updates to its maps etc by being connected to a Wifi source not to Bluetooth.

Yes I understand that and it will do this via my home wifi, but as the primary reason for buying it was to be able to do this without removing the unit from the car it defeats the reason for buying it...

So either connect it to your Home Wifi if you have it if not connect it to the iPhones Personal Hotspot and try and update the maps etc that way. One thing for certain when you do this you will have to have Bluetooth turned Off on your iPhone as the GO Basic will not see your Hotspot if Bluetooth is on as well..

That's the issue - the TT will simply NOT connect to the iPhone's wifi hotspot. Ever.

Regarding Traffic and messaging firstly the Messaging facility is not available as Apple included a security function in IOS13 which prevents the My Drive App functioning as it was designed to and facilitate the messaging. It would appear that a change o the My Drive App will not resolve this.

I'm not sure I agree with that as I have in total received three notifications from the phone - two from WhatsApp and the other from memory was an SMS in the entire 10 months of ownership.

Anyway, if that actually was the case why are these still on sale and no mention made of this iOS issue?

With the traffic the solution is to do the following.

Not having any issue with traffic as I don't use it

Delete all the current pairings between the GO Basic and the iPhone on both units then turn them both `Off and On .

Now go to Personal Hotspot in the iPhones Settings and Turn it On.

Now go to the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and turn that on.

Do not at any point open the My Drive App on the Phone.

Now go to Bluetooth on the GO Basic and select Add a Phone.

When the GO basic shows in Bluetooth on your iPhone Tap it then accept the pavings on both units.

You should now get the Traffic data working and the Handsfree as well.

When you use your GO Basic you will have to have both Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot set to ON otherwise it will not work. At no stage will you be asked for the Hotspots password and it will not be shown as connected to the GO Basics Wifi facility.

None of the above procedures work for me - I've spent months on and off trying them and am still not able to connect to any iPhone wifi hotspot - Android is no problem but as I don't have Android it's not much use to me :anguished:

I do know that I'm not alone in this hence my original post to see if Tomtom had fixed their product, but alas it seems not.

The only use for the My Drive App on the iPhone is to use it to create routes and save them there and or sync them to the GO Basic just as you do if you open My Drive on your PC.

And to be honest that was too much of a palaver anyway.

Doug

Thanks for the reply Doug - seems like it's back to Halfords for me then :(

I think Tomtom have sold a real pup here to many people