Why is my Rider 550 not charging when in the mount?

tdeffler
tdeffler Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited September 2020 in RIDER
I've wired the mount for the Rider 550 into my motorcycle's Aux circuit. When I turn the ignition on, the Rider 550 does not start charging.

Using a voltmeter:
  • There is 12v to the wires coming into the mount
  • There is over 6v across the pins of the mount (analog meter, the exact decimal voltage is a guess, but it's well over 6v.
  • The pin on the right when facing the mount is positive, the other negative.
  • The charging symbol does not appear on the Rider 550 and, after a while, checking the status shows that power has declined.

Answers

• tdeffler
    Apprentice Seeker
    Also want to add that undocking the unit or turning the bike's ignition off does not bring up the message that the unit will be going to sleep...which I interpret as meaning it never thought it was on external power in the first place.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,151
     Superuser
    edited September 2020
    Hi
    @tdeffler
    Welcome to the site....
    To eliminate a mount fault... Have you tried connecting the Mount directly to the battery or a different 12v supply....

Do you know the output current of the Aux circuit ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tdeffler
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited September 2020
    No I haven't tried an alternate power source yet because that means taking everything apart and unfishing the wire. That's my plan for this weekend, I guess.

I was corrected on a Harley forum that that connector was not for the aux circuit but for the chassis cooling fan. If that's true, then the current is either quite good for my purposes (fan) or possibly minimal (fan powered elsewhere and this is just for relay switch).

I guess I'll do some more exploring tomorrow and try coming right off a 12v battery and seeing what the behavior is.

If the latter, does a low current rating cause symptoms like I'm experiencing?
  • a76taino
    a76taino Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I am having the same issue. I also tried to connect directly to the battery as I was trouble shooting. That did not work either. Need help!
  • a76taino
    a76taino Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Update, I’m getting 11.76v at the mount/holder but will not charge the GPS
  • Stephane30
    Stephane30 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    I have the same problem with my Rider 550 not switching on or off when connected through the mount. The power cable has been installed by my Triumph workshop and I can measure the correct voltage of 5.54V when the key is in. The little flash symbol in the battery status sometimes blinks but does not stay on permanently (like when using power through the USB connector of the Rider). When taking out the ignition key the Rider is not switching to sleep automatically.

Does anyone else has this issue and what could be the problem? Connecting the Rider using the AUX power socket works fine but it is a awkward to always use a USB adaptor and lay the cable before riding.

Thanks for your help
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,564
    Elite Voyager
    Have you checked that the pins of the support are in good contact with your GPS?

If your driver does not automatically go to sleep, check Settings > System > Battery Settings if this box is checked so that your driver will turn off when it loses power.
  • Keralagreen
    Keralagreen Registered Users Posts: 27
    Master Explorer
    edited July 9
    I have the same problem, the wiring is direct to the battery so as soon as I mount the rider it comes on. It used to be fine and I very rarely had to charge it
    I have 5.56Volts on the pins, I have got into the habit of leaving it on the bike mount when I stop anywhere But I would have thought this would keep the battery topped up being connected to the battery (wether that is causing the problem I don't know) the last 2 rideouts of 5 or 6 hours the battery has been flat at the end of it When I take it of mid ride I get the message turn off sleep or cancel. ???
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,151
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Keralagreen
    Have you checked the power pins on the Rider Mount...? They should be free in the mount, protrude 1.5mm and be spring loaded
    Is the Mount and the Rider 5xx head-unit stable when the Bike is running/ticking over (i.e. Vibrations V-Twin or Single Cylinder engines) this can cause an intermittent power connection

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Keralagreen
    Master Explorer
    Have checked all the above they are as should be (wiped the terminals with methylated spirit) the bike is a triple but there's a bit of vibration in the mount but I would say not excessive.
    Will see what happens next time out and confirm if better

Thanks
  • Keralagreen
    Master Explorer
    Tried the Sat Nav on my other bike it was fully charged when I put it on and after a 150 ml ride and was still fully charged at the end of the ride. I then left it on the bike where it does not seem to charge, left it on for 5 hrs with no reduction in the battery charge, So will see what happens on the next ride out, hopefully no more problems