Easiest route? — TomTom Community

Easiest route?

ParsecParsec Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
Recently I drove from Paris to Copenhagen. Approx 1200km, and it should be mostly on German highways. Though as I was not paying attention, I was suddenly in Holland with 100km/h speedlimits, and on German countryroads... wtf ???. Germany have no speedlimits on most highways, and no trucks on sunday. I assume that TomTom found some theoretical benefit that I could save 45 seconds, by shortcutting through some backyard and jumping a fence.
How do I get the Amigo to choose the easiest route, and not put me on smaller roads to save 45 seconds on a 13h drive ?
And whenever the APP suddenly finds a better route, it should tell what is the reason. Like "accident, roadwork" or "Cut through these backyards and save 12,5 seconds"

Comments

• JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,599
    Community Manager
    This is a bit of a notorious route. There have been plans for decades to turn German national roads B402 and B213 into motorways. The Netherlands completed this project to improve E233 over ten years ago up until the Dutch German border. Avoiding the area between the border and the A1 in Germany would cause a huge D-tour.

I myself often drive parts of that route from Amersfoort a little across the border to Germany. An alternative route bringing me to German A31 is always taking more time.
  • ParsecParsec Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    But I was not chasing to save a few minutes. Hence the question of "the easiest route".
    Community Manager
    The underlying NavKit is actually designed to choose the easiest to drive route. But that may not always be possible. There is this road closure shortly across the German border where there only is a rather cumbersome way to get around. That closure was still there last Saturday when I drove there.
    Ok. So when routing through country roads, what average speed does it calculate with, and how does it counter for tractors, trafficlights and grandmas going shopping vs a truckfree german highway (sunday)? If the app just think german contryroad=100kmh, and any city road is 50km/h... then we have the root cause.
    Community Manager
    For the average speed taken into consideration we also use statistical data. For example, for the same traffic jam you might not be guided around it on a Saturday because we 'know' that traffic lights on the alternative route will be more likely to be red while on a Sunday they are more likely to be green when there is no traffic in an industrial area. The same applies to day time / night time. We also have these statistics for smaller roads.
    And hence it will take me away from a main road, and through some industrial district, to save 6 seconds :D:D.
    Apart from average speed, I suggest to apply an "uncertainty/risk/inconvenience cost" to intersections.
    Pretty much like when you tell you kid to use the nearest pedestrian crossing. It will be longer, it will take more time, but it is the wise thing to do.
    Anyway thanks for answering, and I also know that Amigo is in beta, and apart from unwise routing, it looks great !!
    Community Manager
    edited September 4
    Parsec wrote: »
    And hence it will take me away from a main road, and through some industrial district, to save 6 seconds :D:D.
    That's where the choice for the easiest route of NavKit comes in. I don't know the exact threshold but we will certainly not get you on a less comfortable route for winning 6 seconds. :)