GO Premium - Lifetime traffic and cameras limited to 5 years? — TomTom Community

GO Premium - Lifetime traffic and cameras limited to 5 years?

Hello all
I currently have a GO 6100 that has worked great for many years. I want to recommend this to a family member but looking at the TomTom website the equivalent model now is the GO Premium. Looking in the detailed specs it says ...
"Traffic and mobile speed camera services are available through your SatNav's built-in SIM or your smartphone's Bluetooth connection. For as long as the 2G network remains available, or for 5 years following the first time you turned on the device, you can access TomTom traffic and mobile speed cameras through your built-in SIM. Should the 2G network be switched off or your 5-year service connection expire, you will still be able to access TomTom traffic and mobile speed camera services through Bluetooth on your smartphone.
... does that mean that 'lifetime' is actually limited to 5 years???

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,953
    Superuser
    Hi @HarryHogroast

The wording actually says that should the 5 years service connection expire you will Still be able to get Traffic and Mobile speed cameras through Bluetooth. 2g has been turned off in some countries so the inbuilt sims which work with 2g no longer connect. The devices still however have the ability to connect for the Services using the Bluetooth facility and can also connect using a Hotspot via your phone or a Mifi.

Tomtom are still honouring Lifetime Maps on some devices that are well over 5 years old and they have declared obsolete and no longer support with operating updates or live services. These unit generally have only got 2gb or less of internal memory and in some cases have no ability to add extra memory.

A while back Tomtom started including an expiry date however where users have indicated the their units have reached the date shown Tomtom have continued to supply the services and I think extended the date. The current Maps are much larger than on the old units with the Full European map exceeding 9gb now.

Doug
  • HarryHogroastHarryHogroast Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Doug
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I understood you could still get the services via a smartphone link but the reason I bought my GO6000 was that it doesn't require a link. Would my GO 6000 have the same 5 -year cut-off as it must be getting close to age now? I added a 32GB SD card several years ago so never had a problem with map updates. I also know 2G services will be switched off slowly but I assume that if TT want to sell these devices in the future they will be updating to a 4G SIM. With the 5-year cut-off TT seem to be following the Apple example of forcing device obsolescence which is a shame because my current device works perfectly after nearly 5 years.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,429
    Superusers
    Hi
    @HarryHogroast
    This "Discussion" about Lifetime Maps having an expiry date in MyDrive Connect has been going on for years (Mikko was replying to the same queries back in 2017)
    As far as I recall, the expiry date is more or less a placeholder that can be extended/updated as required....

See Vikram's reply (Tomtom Moderator) ....
    Here.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1700420/#Comment_1700420

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • HarryHogroastHarryHogroast Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    OK thanks for everyone's help. I am more concerned with traffic and cameras than maps. I guess I have to hope that TT will extend my lifetime traffic and cameras when the time comes. I only use my TT for known routes, so without traffic it is of no use to me.