550 and volumes — TomTom Community

550 and volumes

DisheartenedDisheartened Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
I am so disappointed at how rubbish my very expensive Rider 550 is. Linking it to my phone and helmet was stupidly hard - although I have done this now. Reception to FM radio is so bad that I don't even bother with it any more but the worst thing is the volume levels. If I have music from my phone, the navigation commands and speed cameras going they ALL want to be at different volumes. This is a good thing, right? Not when it is virtually impossible to adjust the volume when riding. How do you adjust the ear shattering speed camera command when you are riding past a camera for 2 seconds? When the phone rings the volume is, again, ear shattering. Not having separate volumes built into the software of the device with the ability to test and adjust each volume in a safe place is the most stupid thing I have ever seen. I have been riding with the speed camera function disabled because I don't want it to burst an eardrum or a speaker in my very expensive helmet. So my expensive rubbish 550 has functions turned off or not used because of pain or risk of damage to my hearing. Does that make the Rider 550 even worse value by function?

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 553 [Revered Pioneer]
    Using a Bluetooth headset volume settings are a headset function.
    With all brands you can adjust the PND volume when a navigation instruction is spoken.

My headset also has an app to change the different volume levels.
  • DisheartenedDisheartened Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Thank you for you comment, although it didn't answer my question which was;

'Does that make the Rider 550 even worse value by function? '.

I get the point of bluetooth control but why not emulate a speed camera so that any volume issues can be dealt with off the road? After all, speed cameras are placed at accident hotspots and riding through these with one hand on your crash helmet isn't going to do much for road safety!
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 553 [Revered Pioneer]
    Speed camera's use the same volume level as navigation instructions.
    You just have to adjust te level once. Your headset will remember your setting. ;)

You can also turn off Speed Camera's in your Rider.

(I learned now that the UK uses a different policy for placing Speed Camera's. Here is the Netherlands the are placed in at places where is save to drive fast so the most cash is generated.)
  • DisheartenedDisheartened Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    That is interesting. The volume level for my navigation is fine, the volume level for speed cameras is off the scale loud. I have had the speed camera on mute due to the volume but that makes the function almost useless. My the time I try and get the speed camera volume down, the notification has ended and then it adjusts the music or navigation.

I took the rider past a speed camera in my car earlier and it was a reasonable volume. I am seriously thinking of connecting it to my helmet and driving past a camera in my car with the helmet on my lap. After spending £350 and another £80 for a model specific bracket surely there must be a better way to try and get the volume to a reasonable level safely?
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 749
    Superuser
    This is a problem since the 400 era... I’ve mentioned it many years ago but...