My MicroSDHC 32GB card is full. Can I use a larger capacity card? — TomTom Community

My MicroSDHC 32GB card is full. Can I use a larger capacity card?

My updates are taking longer and longer, and I believe the lack of capacity on the card might be the reason. Hence wondering if the device will recognise a larger capacity card.

Best Answer

Answers

• rawles1rawles1 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for your response. I have one update outstanding which shows it is 8500 MB, with 8540 MB space available. So I'm wondering why (a) it won't download, and (b) why so little space is shown as available on the device.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    edited August 2020
    @rawles1

Which device do you have? Which maps do you have on A ) the internal memory, B ) the memory card
    GO 510. I'm not sure how to see what is on the device as opposed to the card. I do know that I have Europe, the US and the UK/Republic of Ireland. Not Australia or any other large land masses.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    @rawles1

Taking that you are in the UK the manual is here http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf
    See page 109
    Within MyDriveConect
    Check MyContent > My Maps
    This will list what maps you have where
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @rawles1
    Maybe You have a Counterfeit Micro SD Card ???
    There are lots of Videos online... How to identify a FAKE Micro SD Memory Card... Just Google 'Counterfeit Micro SD Cards'
    They can visually be very convincing

I downloaded the Micro SD Card Test Program 'H2testw' from Softpedia
    It generates and copies 1GB files to the card until the card is full + Checks the Read/Write speed
    Here... https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml
    Note... The program 'H2testw' checked out as Virus free... Using Avast AV & Malwarebytes

Program copies 1GB files to the card until the card is full + Checks the Read/Write speed
    A formated 16GB card should hold around 15ish of the 1GB files to fill the Card and 31ish files to fill a 32GB Card
    The Fake cards have software installed, that fools the PC into repeatedly over writing the data on a much smaller Memory card, giving the impression it's much larger than it is in reality...

Luckily all my cards check out OK
    Use the above at your own discretion...

My 16GB Toshiba SDHC Card....
    Test results....
    Warning: Only 14915 of 14916 MByte tested.
    Test finished without errors.
    You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
    Writing speed: 15.4 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 18.8 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4
    Installed 1GB Flles = 15

ATB YFM
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. On the basis that 32gb (Niall) should be more than enough, I have come to the conclusion that YamFazMan is correct and that my current card must be a fake. Updates do take a long time to download and, so, based on this, I'm going to buy a new card and start again! Thank you again, although I might need your help with the new card! But I'll check TomTom's Support pages first.
    I bought a new SD card and transferred my maps to it. It's still half empty so I'm guessing that YamFazMan's prognosis was correct in that my original card was dodgy. Thank you again, everyone, for all your help and input.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    Hi
    @rawles1
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM