scammed from tomtom wesite — TomTom Community

scammed from tomtom wesite

pralfpralf Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
today i fell victim to the scammers on the tomtom website,live chat directed me to a phone call, tecnician rang and fixed problem with updating satnav but paid him 54.99 by paypal, have all the details yet no one at tomtom is interested

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,153
    Superuser
    Hi @pralf

There is definitely someone who is interested so if you can provide as much detail as possible ie how you got on to the website ie was it Google, what website did you get directed to etc then @Luca from Tomtom will seek to use those details to build the case for stopping them.

Please avoid including any personal details or TT serial numbers.

Doug
  • pralfpralf Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    I used google chrome and went on the tomtom website to download the software to enable me to update my satnav on this computer, i got an error code 0*0000342 and a pop up help chat asked me the serial no of my satnav and then said a technician will call me. he called me using tel no 02086388702 and advised me he was calling from tomtom. he called himself ryan alan and requested that i ok some software to enable him to fix my satnav. he then asked me to buy security software for £179 which i refused to do, he then said he could fix the satnav for 54.99 payable through paypal. he fixed my satnav and was paid through paypal, his paypal details were mohd ariz, [email protected]
    He rang back twice from the same number to firstly verify my satnav had succesfully updated and then some time later someone from the same number called saying they were from tomtom and i asked them if ryan alan was their technician, they confirmed he was from tomtom and told me all about the call and the price id paid and not to worry as he was a genuine tomtom technician.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,153
    Superuser
    Hi @pralf

Thank you fo the details. You have not gone to the Tomtom website from the beginning. Have you got the Webpage details so they can see which of the scam sites is involved.

By the way what model Tomtom do you have

Doug
  • pralfpralf Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    model no 4EN52
    I googled tomtom and went to this site
    https://navigationsupport.online/tomTomSatnav-lifetime-maps-Updates.aspx
    I then went to tomtom.com/getstarted
    on that website i had an online chat and was told a technician would ring to solve the problem.
    he took control of my computer and i believe the website he used to update the satnav
    was https://navigationsupport.online/Default.aspx
    I have typed the websites from google history including the use of upper and lower case letters as they appeared
    hope this helps, I have avg protection thats supposed to prevent me going to illegal websites, guess it doesnt work