Rider 550 is trapped in an endless loop — TomTom Community

Rider 550 is trapped in an endless loop

KawatourerKawatourer Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi, last week I was on the road with my bike and there is something I want to share with the community. I generated a tour with MyDrive on a PC I'd liked to ride. The tour includes kind of a loop. Unfortunately the was a closed road within that loop. As far as I know a tour generated with MyDrive can't be modified with the Rider. The only way to overcome the contruction area was to turn left and I hoped the Rider would pick up the route after a few kms. But what happened? Rider picked up the route but not the remaining route instead it found the old part of the route and just wanted me to follow the old route and drive the loop again.
I think this is something to complain about. It took me a few kms to realize I rode this road before. This is either a bug in programming or I need some hints from you how to prevent this behaviour. My solution was to stop and view the display in detail to see how I have to navigate manually. But I thought this is why I have a Rider. and although the roadblock wasn't new the Rider setup was only 3 days old and I think if the Rider is online it gets all the traffic information, doesn't it?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,623
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @Kawatourer
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe....
    When you have diverted from the .GPX Track
    (1)... Cancel the .GPX Track
    (2)... Re-load & Calculate the .GPX Track
    (3)... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Track.... Ride to Track
    (4)... The device will plan the route from your Current location and join the .GPX Track at the nearest Access point from your Current location....

Note... You may not need to clear and restart the .GPX Track
    (1)... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Track.... Ride to Track
    (2)... The device will plan the route from your Current location and join the .GPX Track at the nearest Access point from your Current location....

Note... The... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> 'Current Route' sub menu... Has many more options to modify the route....
    Compared to the equivalent .GPX 'Current Track' sub menu....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • KawatourerKawatourer Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi YamFazMan,
    I'm afraid your proposal will not help in the situation I described. The obvious point for me is that Rider recognizes that the old part of the track - although already driven - is closer to the current location and hence it will connect to the old part of the track instead of the nearest access point of the remaning track. Restarting or reloading will always navigate to the nearest access point and this is unfortunately a point of the already driven part. So I think this is simply a logical error in programming the navigation software and should not be solved by the user. In my case I realized afte 5km that I've already been in a village but what if it's night? I can imagine that you need more time to realize that something is wrong.
    I simply expect from a navigation system to take into account what is already behind of a track and what is still to do. Meaning the TomTom guys are required to think about this.
    But many thanks for your answer.
    Take care.
    Kawatourer
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 714 [Revered Pioneer]
    This behavior is normal when you drive (routes based on) a track.
    Track do not use trafic information. (for example a traffic delay or roadblock is only displayed on the screen)
    Also a Garmin Zumo XT and most other systems will bring you back to the track no matter witch part of the track. And only display the traffic jam. So also if you are still at the first 10% an your detour brings you closer to the last part your route will become very short.

The TomTom Rider 4x0/5x0 always uses tracks when you use MyDrive or a GPX file.
    So you have to find the detour for avoiding the roadblock yourself. In most cases you can just follow the advised alternative. By restarting the track without hitting Drive (and click the arrow an zoom to adjust the display) you can see the original path and make the best decision. Back on track Just hit Drive (and closest point) to continue the track.

You can also use "GPX Track 2 OV2" or "Load Track" on my website. Then you only have to use zoom to see the unaltered track on your screen.

As alternative you can use .ITN routes. Then you navigate from stop to stop in order. All Stops are mandatory. So a stop at a roadblock must be skipped in the Current route menu. Between Stops the path is free based on route preferences. For example fasted route will avoid traffic jams. So the "route" can be different between stops for you than for your friend using other settings or a other PND.

(The new TomTom Go App does avoid roadblocks and shows faster alternatives when driving a track.)
  • KawatourerKawatourer Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    RoadRider, thank you for your comment. I've been not logged in for a while so please excuse my late answer.
    I'm a little bit surprised about your sentence "Track do not use trafic information."
    I didn't realize that this a default behaviour. Isn't this point one of the reasons to use a navigation system? If I plan a tour with MyDrive I only get gpx-files meaning roadblocks are not taken into account during the planning phase? This can create a lot of anger in reality - my personal experience. As far as I know you get ITNs only by using the TomTom Rider directly but this is what I use if I have only one destination.
    Maybe I'm looking for an alternative to MyDrive to edit ITN routes and then transfer the files to the Rider device.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 714 [Revered Pioneer]
    You can already see the roadblock when traffic is on when you load the Track. It is also visible in the route bar. So you have more then enough time to find a alternative.

An ITN route is only the solution when there is not a Stop at the blocked road. In this case you still have to stop and skip this Stop(s) in the Current Route menu.

For simple routes up to 20 Stops you can still use MyDrive and the "Send Stops" option.
    (this route wil be active directly. You can save it on the Rider in MyRoutes)

Personally I only use Routes when the Stops are important to visit.
    I use tracks for a tour ride. On long trips I only plan the last bit as nice curvy tour. In this area's close to the destination there are not much traffic Jams. When your Rider is on fastest Route it will calculate a route to your track using traffic data so you are as quick as possible in the nice area.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,623
    Superusers
    edited September 2020
    Hi
    @Kawatourer
    Welcome to the site...
    I prefer .ITN Routes....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1702945/#Comment_1702945

I also use the Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter
    ITN Converter has a huge number of Map types The Tomtom Routes Map is included, the ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1712711/#Comment_1712711

Stay Safe... ATB YFM