I think I have connected to a scam — TomTom Community

I think I have connected to a scam

JohnsatnavproblemJohnsatnavproblem Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
Logged into tomtom.com/getstarted . Clicked on the top entry and was connected to Tom Tom help.
Opened chat line to explain that I cannot update my maps. After some questions was told the problem would be solved very quickly by phone. I thought "AT LAST SOMEBODY TO ACTUALLY TALK TO" Very quickly my phone rang and a foreign sounding gentleman was initially very helpful but soon seemed to take over control of my laptop and said it was my subscriptions overdue. I do not pay subscriptions and his attitude became quite aggressive. He then said " I see you are lifetime maps, so not a problem" But then he brought up all of my apps on screen and was quick firing questions with what I considered an aggressive attitude and when I told him to stop as I suspected a scam he was even more aggressive. I ended the connection.
About half an hour later I got what also looked like an authentic E-Mail from TomTom to say that the update had not yet been completed and to click on the attached!! I ignored this and I seems that is the end of it.
As far as I can tell, no damage has been done. I am however totally without the latest updates which I cannot get until I install NAVCORE which when I try it says updating device but IT NEVER happens. I am sick and tired of Tom Tom and the inability to talk to anyone. Hope all you people out there are having better service that me. YES I have tried to find the answer via Community but still without success.
Regards,
John

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,879
    Superuser
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Johnsatnavproblem

You have clearly connected to a scam site and I am pleased you have been able to spot it in time.

If I type "tomtom.com/getstarted" in my browser header I am taken to this page

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014482660

Is this the page you were in when you clicked on a Top Entry. if not can you indicate what page you were on so that @Luca from Tomtom can investigate.

There are no current Phone lines with so many working from home. Here is some information on how to contact Customer Support.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

Chat is during normal working hours only and is very busy and you may have to try a few times to get into Chat.

There is currently no Phone line Customer Support with so many working from home.

If you have a problem with the above link try another browser.

You could also try Clicking on Contact Us at the bottom of this page under the heading Support.

When you have signed in on the next page Tap Red Contact Us

Type Help in next box then hit return

Help box appears with a few suggestions. Just Tap the Contact Us at the bottom

Box appears with Chat/Email

Doug
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,853
    Superuser
    This is another one for @Luca to follow up

Maybe @VikramK can look into the status of your subscription.

@Johnsatnavproblem Please keep the email you were sent by the scammers, and try and list all the steps that you did to get to the situation that you called. Also where was the email from?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,397
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi all
    If I type "tomtom.com/getstarted" into the Browser header search box....
    I get the real Tomtom site....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014482660

I guess most people don't type into the Browser header at the very top of the screen.....
    They type into the Google search engine box mid screen....
    If I type "tomtom.com/getstarted" in the Google search box... 1st on the list is the SCAMMER.... https://www.tomtommapupdate.com/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,866 Moderator
    @Johnsatnavproblem

Hi John

With regards to updating the maps, I want to confirm that your devices come with Lifetime maps, and a new version 10.50 Europe should be offered as a download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards, Vikram