Why the TomTom GO 6200 only shows "Live Traffic" in the UK, but not shows this when uses abroad? — TomTom Community

Why the TomTom GO 6200 only shows "Live Traffic" in the UK, but not shows this when uses abroad?

Viv-SViv-S Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
Good morning TomTom community,

My Go 6200 device only shows "Live Traffic" in the UK, but not shows this when use abroad? I used the unit when I visited "Thailand" last November and it did not shows any of "traffic jam"/"Live Traffic" at all!!
Do I need to activate any options on the device (If so - What/which?) to have the "Live traffic" to drive in those countries?

(I turned on the unit as I am writing this question - and again, the "Live Traffic" only shows in the UK, but not shows any in Europe nor around the world - (of course when I activated those related maps "Thailand / Europe etc").

Thank you kindly in advance,
Viv-S

Answers

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,853
    Superuser
    edited August 2020
    @Viv-S

A ) The SIM in your device is only valid for Europe so will not work in Thailand
    B ) Traffic details are only shown for about 100 Km radius of your current position
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,884
    Superuser
    Hi @Viv-S

Firstly when you turn your GO 6200 and it connects to the Tomtom servers it only receives the Traffic data for an area 50 miles + radius from your existing position. As you travel along then the Data is updated to the same distance from your new positions. Presumably this is working on the premise that if there is a traffic issue in Edinburgh and you are in Manchester it is not an issue unless the traffic problem is still there as you approach Edinburgh at which point it will be seeking faster routes if they are available or necessary..

Tomtom units are sold on the basis that the Traffic data you will get on the unit is only for the Region in which the device was purchased. So if you are in the UK the unit will provide traffic when you are in Europe. So anyone who buys a unit in say Australia for example would not get Traffic data whilst Europe.

Doug.
  • Viv-SViv-S Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited August 2020
    Hi, @DougLap, @Niall,

Thank you very much for your quick response and insightful to my query.

On the first part, it is great to know of the 50 miles radius. I have to admit that I haven't used this device in Europe and the continent yet. (Hope the "live traffic" works when I do so).
    Besides, will this functions still work after "BREXIT"?

On the second part, yes, the device was purchased in the UK. Just wondering if in your example (UK / Australia). If there would be a possibility (from TomTom) to allow the device be used with "live traffic" in Australia, and vice versa of Australian owners to use it with "live traffic" in the UK.

FYI - When I travelled to Thailand last November, I connected the device to the local SIM mobile "WiFi" hot-spot while driving, and still no "live traffic". Perhaps this was due to the device's region "restriction / purchased" as you explained in your answer.

Lastly, as this is a UK purchased device, I wonder if there a list of "active live traffic" that covers all European regions including the North to Scandinavia? - the East to the border with Russia? - and the fringe like Turkey / Cyprus?

Kind regards,
    Viv-S
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,884
    Superuser
    Hi @Viv-S

Here is a link to the Go Premium and if you scroll down you can click to see the full spec. If you look through that it shows you which countries are included in the map and also the Countries for which Traffic and cameras are supplied . The lists for your unit will be the same and are included in the service your unit gets at no extra cost.

Regarding Australia if you go to the Australian Website they do not list a Live service as being available. So you cannot add the Traffic service to the device if you go to Australia. and likewise the USA etc.

Doug
  • Viv-SViv-S Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, @DougLap,
    Thank you for your reply. I noticed that you meant to include "the link" in your recent reply. (Thank you in advance).
    Great to know that those services are included with my unit at no extra cost.

Thank you kindly,
    Viv-S