Record function no longer working — TomTom Community

Record function no longer working

Hi, the record function no longer works on my Start 52 and the saved routes that I had have disappeared. Also the battery is dead, the sat Nov itself works ok when it's plugged into the usb port. Is the record function likely to be because the battery is duff, I don't know whether to replace to battery to find that this function still doesn't work. Thanks

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,887
    Superuser
    Hi @Nic123

If you are plugging the cable into a USB socket then you are not providing enough power to the unit to run it and maintain the battery. The unit will go into power saving mode and eventually shut down on a long trip dependant upon how charged it was before you started.

If you have let your battery go flat a few times then that does not help with battery life as that is the last thing you should allow.

Doug
  • Nic123Nic123 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Doug, the unit only came with a usb charger, should I be using something else? Is the battery issue likely to be the cause of the recording issue? Thanks
    Superuser
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Nic123

Tomtom units come with a Cigarette Socket Charger which the cable has plugs into with the USB end of the cable.

Regarding the record function I suspect you need to do a Factory Reset on the unit to see if that restores it. Before you do the reset check your My Places etc are saved in your account by going to the My Drive Website and logging into your account.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @Nic123
    Welcome to the site....
    Nic123 wrote: »
    The battery is dead, the Sat Nav itself works OK when it's plugged into the USB port. Is the record function likely to be because the battery is duff, I don't know whether to replace the battery to find that this function still doesn't work. Thanks
    Charge the device for a minimum of 2 Hours....
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1665504/#Comment_1665504
    The saved routes that I had have disappeared
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services --> MyDrive... Are you logged into My Drive on the device ???
    The record function no longer works on my Start 52
    How much free space is available on the Start 52 ??? You need to have enough Free Space to store the recordings
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll to 'Free Space'
    400 MB of free working space is considered the bare minimum

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Doug and YamFazMan,
    I've just done a longer charge than usual (2hrs) using the usb cable supplied and also reset the device. Sadly my recordings weren't salvageable, they were already deleted but I can re-record them. The device has plenty of recording space now, probably because my old recordings have gone. I've just done a small test run and it records, plays and holds its charge.
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)
    Superuser
    Hi @Nic123

Routes created/saved on the device and routes recorded/saved on the unit are not synced back from the unit to your MyDrive Account. If you wish to ensure they are always available then go to the My Routes folder on the unit and export the files using a small micro SD class 10 card. You will need a map on your internal memory to be able to do this.

Once you have copied them to the card you could import them into your My Drive Account so they will now sync to the device if necessary.

Doug
    Thank you I'll do that