Route variances between MyDrive website tool and GPS unit — TomTom Community

Route variances between MyDrive website tool and GPS unit

I have noticed that while planning a route between two points on the MyDrive website, the route choosen is often different than if I were to plan the same route on the actual GPS head unit- in this case a GO Supreme.

For example, if I am on the MyDrive website and plan a route between work and some POI, the route offered is often different than if I were planning that same route between work and the same POI on the actual GPS.

On the website, you can choose between car, truck, rv trailer, etc., but on the GO Supreme your choices are considerably different, such as Fastest, Shortest, Bicycle, etc.

The routing is often more practical on the web-based site than on the actual GPS.

Wondered if anyone else has noticed this difference?

Best Answer

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 301 [Supreme Pioneer]
    If your GO doesnt have an active internet connection, thats normal. TomTom uses a thing called IQ Routes which calculates the fastest available route without internet but according the time and date.
  • ColbyJackColbyJack Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thank you for that. So, if the TOMTOM was linked to my phone, utilized as a WiFi ‘hotspot’, that would change how the TOMTOM calculates some routes?
  • xwintechxwintech Posts: 301 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Yes it would change if you have connected the TomTom with a Wi-Fi hotspot.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,847
    Superuser
    Hi @ColbyJack

The first thing that can effect the difference in routing is the settings you have in My Drive and the Supreme. In both you can set yes or no to Motorways, Ferries, Tolls etc and these must be the same otherwise that will possibly change the routing.

Secondly the My Drive Routing takes into consideration Traffic data for the whole journey whereas the GO Supreme only has Traffic data for about 50 miles or so radius from where you are. So if the journey is further than the Supreme has traffic data for this can effect the routing as it works out routing to the Destination or Stops sent from My Drive. Any route you create on the GO Supreme will continually be assessed as you go along as the unit is regularly updated with the traffic data for 50 miles or so from wherever you are. .

Regarding the connection of the Supreme to your phone this is necessary as otherwise the unit will not get Traffic data and so in the event of a problem on route you would not be offered a better route. The GO Supreme would just calculate the route based on IQ route data but once linked to the phone will reassess the routing based on the up to date traffic data it is receiving.

You can save the route you create in My Drive in the My Routes folder and ask for it to be synced to your devices.. When you turn your Go Supreme on and it links to your account it will copy the saved route to the units My Routes folder. The issue with this is that a GPX file is a track and the route you take is specified and even if the unit gets Traffic data that suggests a faster route it will ignore it as the Track is in effect a breadcrumbs route to be followed exactly.

Doug