Tomtom Runner 2 fitness point algorithm has issues — TomTom Community

Tomtom Runner 2 fitness point algorithm has issues

This has probably been raised before, but I have noticed that I am getting "cheated" on fitness points with the Tomtom Runner 2. In particular, while the watch analyzes altitude and ascent, it doesn't seem to give any credit for altitude. Case in point: I do a 4 mile walk (my titanium hip won't let me run anymore) on flat terrain at 16 min/mile and I am awarded 1600+ points. But I only get 580 points for a 6.5 mile hike with a 1500 ft ascent at 22 min/mile. How do I know it is a 1500 ft ascent? The watch tells me. The 6.5 mile hike was clearly harder (OK, it was also 32 degrees C). I know this is quibbling some, but if you are going to give points and then tell me that I am old as crap, it would be nice to get credit for actual hard work, especially since the data is there. It is also likely that the calorie count is also wrong. It would be nice to have an update (there were many updates after I got it two years ago) that would make the "rewards" more reflective of the activity.

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 290 [Supreme Pioneer]
    TomTom Sports went out 2.5 years ago, no way you will receive any updates.
    Do better.
    Sell it
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,618
    Superusers
    WEOrmand wrote: »
    This has probably been raised before, but I have noticed that I am getting "cheated" on fitness points with the Tomtom Runner 2. In particular, while the watch analyzes altitude and ascent, it doesn't seem to give any credit for altitude. Case in point: I do a 4 mile walk (my titanium hip won't let me run anymore) on flat terrain at 16 min/mile and I am awarded 1600+ points. But I only get 580 points for a 6.5 mile hike with a 1500 ft ascent at 22 min/mile. How do I know it is a 1500 ft ascent? The watch tells me. The 6.5 mile hike was clearly harder (OK, it was also 32 degrees C). I know this is quibbling some, but if you are going to give points and then tell me that I am old as crap, it would be nice to get credit for actual hard work, especially since the data is there. It is also likely that the calorie count is also wrong. It would be nice to have an update (there were many updates after I got it two years ago) that would make the "rewards" more reflective of the activity.

I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It uses your calculated VO2Max (which will be wrong as no watch can compute this) to calculate points. It is not the amount of exercise that matters, it is the intensity. Unless you are in Z3 or higher for a substantial part of your workout it will not change anything. If your workouts are walks or jogs or anything that is not intense, it will have no impact on the age and points. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

There are no further updates of any kind coming, the watches have all been discontinued and are obsolete.