Android Auto & TomTom GO Navigation - Page 13 — TomTom Community

Android Auto & TomTom GO Navigation

Comments

• szachowaszachowa Posts: 55
    Staff
    @martin.armstrong , about this:
    Anyway I need to test it further tomorrow afternoon as I get different results every time I try it in the production version, sometimes it seems to work correctly, sometimes not, but it seems to remember the setting of the route type set in the current route menu, even if you cancel a route and start again. Is that how it was designed to work?

Not to my knowledge. Setting from the current route menu should be only valid for currently planned route. I will do my best to take a look whenever I find some time.

And about this:
    needed to expand the map a bit to get both parking icons displayed in the production version but in the beta version they are not displayed even when expanded as much as I can before they disappear off the edge of the screen. By the way, even though I have, I think, the same settings in both apps, the parking garages seem to be always displayed on the map in the production version but not in the beta version.

Please double check in Beta if permanent POIs were enabled in Map and Display settings. Seems that you have this option disabled, hence the difference.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,113
    Community Manager
    It looks like some of you have been set up incorrectly on our side.
    Herby101 wrote: »
    Just curious, when will it be out of beta and ready for download from the Google Play store?

Thanks
    According to the last news I have we're aiming for the end of this month. But note that it's an aim.
  • martin.armstrongmartin.armstrong Posts: 42 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    @szachowa

You were right, I had just the carpark POI's selected in production version but had not done that in the beta version, sorry. I had overlooked the sub-menu for that.

However, I have tested my problem with the production version and here is my experience:
    If I plot a route from home to a destination which is 43 km away with 'fast' as the route type in the app settings it plots a route that takes about 40-50 minutes. If I use the current route menu to change the route type to 'bicycle route' or 'walking route' it either plots me a route and shows me a journey time which is unrealistically short (eg. same journey time is quoted for bicycle as walking , see screenshots) or it can't give me a route (see screenshot with bottom part greyed out) I have other problems with altering the route type for a current route but the results are not consistent or easily reproducable.
    1h5i6eepfrbd.jpg
    tgf9hafxugcb.jpg
    xijf4qq2808b.jpg
    dytzbh3q6gp0.jpg

TT GO Production version (2.3.7 release/20.1 (3415)
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 303 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    does anyone know if TT will charge extra for the AA features once out of beta, as I know Sygic are charging £35 for Android Auto compatibility with their app
    Community Manager
    edited April 14
    There should be no extra charge from our side for Android Auto.
    Staff
    @martin.armstrong , I have your issue on my todo list of things to report :)
  • SreeharshaSreeharsha Posts: 1
    Staff
    edited April 16
    Observed mentioned issue not successfully planned route and reported ticket GONAV-2833
    Jürgen wrote: »

that's brilliant news, i can't understand why sygic are charging for this
  • Marek_MkZMarek_MkZ Posts: 36 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    walkerx wrote: »
    Jürgen wrote: »

that's brilliant news, i can't understand why sygic are charging for this

Maybe due to they don't have subscription fee but lifetime license
  • lluiscnlluiscn Posts: 32 [Master Explorer]
    Sygic charges for everything.
    Some things with a lifetime license and some with a subscription.
  • Oldace2000Oldace2000 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    @martin.armstrong
    In the past we have both expressed frustration with the BETA App dropping the planned route after a stop.

Lately I have noticed that this is now not happening. Today I planned a route with two stops and several waypoints. At the first stop I even restarted the phone after shutting down the app and everything was still there as planned. After the second stop everything started up as normal.

Are you getting the same results?? If so one of the main annoyances may have been fixed.

Good Work.
    I now have V2.8.35 beta (3955)

Cheers, Oldace
  • lluiscnlluiscn Posts: 32 [Master Explorer]
    I still can't use the -beta version. I'm with the -latam version and I don't know how to go back to the -beta.
    @Oldace2000

Yes, same here, one outstanding problem though is still the inability to delete the next stop, to tell the app that I have reached the stop and want to carry on. This problem of not always recognising that a stop has been successfully reached has caused me a lot of problems in the past in the production app before this function was inserted and made me avoid putting stops in the route. It is also missing in the latest version. I don't see any technical reason why they left it out when the menu for the current route was redesigned as there is space for an extra icon there. Also it is not possible to do it in the function 'avoid part of route' as the stops are greyed out there and also not possible in the function 'reorder stops' but in any case these functions are too complicated to use when one is driving.

TT GO Version 2.8.35-beta (3955)
    AA Version 6.2.610914
    i have both my subscribed version installed and the beta installed to get the AA side of it.

I have noticed if I add a place in the beta version when open the app on my phone, this is not passed to the android auto options, so have to search for it again as only a limited number of places are given.

Anyone else noticed this
  • rabero1985rabero1985 Posts: 80 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited April 17
    I noticed today something with the use of the app (don't know in AA, was using the app on my phone). I use the Belgium recorded human voice "Lucie".
    When she has to say "after 300m...." she only says "300m....". it seems only affects this distance.

Sound setting output channel : phone call (second option).

When I use the output channel : alarm (latest option) it is not working properly. There is a 'pause' between words and words are sometimes not full spoken out.
    This i had also when used in AA and setting was normal on audio output. If I don't start the app first on my phone I have this problem

Both cases bluethooth is on.
    And all permissions are on, battery saving options are off
  • FuzzbyrooFuzzbyroo Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    So I've been wondering. When TomTom Go gets a full release for Android Auto, will there be an option that will show us what street/road name and/or route number we're driving on like it does on the TomTom Go mobile app? Without using turn by turn navigation. I posted an example below:

zq0y97m4kpcl.jpg
    @walkerx
    Quite honestly I plan to input destinations and stops directly on the phone because it is easier there and start the navigation before I leave home then connect the phone to android auto afterwards because then it carries on navigating me when android auto starts (this seamless navigation seems to work ok now.)
    I had previously tried the destination input under AA but was not particularly impressed but in response to your question I have now again tried it with the latest version and the result does not seem to have improved significantly.

Under AA it seems that always, also when the car is stationary, only the latest 6 recent destinations are shown which to me is unnecessarily restrictive. In waze and google maps under AA the list of recent destinations is not limited to 6 (if 8/9 are previously input on phone they all are displayed under AA)
    Also the destinations shown in the list in the search screen seem to be made up of 1 or 2 entries being the last search attempts under AA and then the rest of the 6 are recent destinations as in phone, which is a bit strange. It also shows only 6 possible destination after an input is done. The initial search display changes to seemingly just the last 6 searches done under AA when searching for a stop after having put in destination. Also a search in this case finds far fewer destinations than a search for a final destination and I have the impression that it is limited to only destinations within a short distance (5 km?) which, if that is so, is not satisfactory.
    On the phone the recent destination list is shown in the search window, which to my mind is what should also be done under AA, otherwise it is confusing.
    The search function in AA does not use the phone contacts for the destination.
    Google maps and waze, however, have access to phone contacts under AA.

I would say that the beta version needs a lot of improvement in the area of destination input before it could be put into production as some users (not me) would use this intensively and a lot of user complaints would result.

AA Version 6.2.610914
    Staff
    @walkerx
    Quite honestly I plan to input destinations and stops directly on the phone because it is easier there and start the navigation before I leave home then connect the phone to android auto afterwards because then it carries on navigating me when android auto starts (this seamless navigation seems to work ok now.)
    I had previously tried the destination input under AA but was not particularly impressed but in response to your question I have now again tried it with the latest version and the result does not seem to have improved significantly.

I would recommend using Google Assistant for entering desired destination on Android Auto head unit. This is most used feature by our Beta testers. You can trigger GA by pressing the small microphone icon visible in bottom right corner of the head unit screen, or for some cars it is also available as a button on the steering wheel.
    Under AA it seems that always, also when the car is stationary, only the latest 6 recent destinations are shown which to me is unnecessarily restrictive. In waze and google maps under AA the list of recent destinations is not limited to 6 (if 8/9 are previously input on phone they all are displayed under AA)

This is known limitation of current Android Auto car app library. Please note that Google and Waze are not using the same library as other navigation apps, since Waze == google so they have privilege to access some internal APIs.
    This has been already reported to google some time ago, please check status here: https://issuetracker.google.com/u/0/issues/179648622
    Also the destinations shown in the list in the search screen seem to be made up of 1 or 2 entries being the last search attempts under AA and then the rest of the 6 are recent destinations as in phone, which is a bit strange. It also shows only 6 possible destination after an input is done. The initial search display changes to seemingly just the last 6 searches done under AA when searching for a stop after having put in destination. Also a search in this case finds far fewer destinations than a search for a final destination and I have the impression that it is limited to only destinations within a short distance (5 km?) which, if that is so, is not satisfactory.

Please provide screens/videos that would allow us to reproduce and analyze this issue. Without providing detailed description of the issue, we won't be able to help. I can recommend here separate topic on this forum with your detailed observations.
    On the phone the recent destination list is shown in the search window, which to my mind is what should also be done under AA, otherwise it is confusing.

But we show recent destinations under the search on AA head unit.
    Please provide more detailed info to allow us further analysis.
    The search function in AA does not use the phone contacts for the destination.
    Google maps and waze, however, have access to phone contacts under AA.

This is known limitation of our app. Thank you for this feedback. We have this reported as a future app improvement.
    I would say that the beta version needs a lot of improvement in the area of destination input before it could be put into production as some users (not me) would use this intensively and a lot of user complaints would result.

AA Version 6.2.610914
    [/quote]

We are constantly improving our application and listen to feedback from our users. As I mentioned above, please give google assistant a try, it really improves overall experience of entering the destination and I believe this is also recommended way of using navigation apps in the car by Google.

@szachowa
    I have big problems getting GA to understand properly what I am saying even if I carefully and loudly enunciate the words, so I prefer not to use it unless there is no alternative, eg. when answering whatsapp messages. That is why I prefer to plan the route directly on the phone before I get in the car.

On further investigation of the discrepancy in search results between end-destination and stopover points under AA it seems that when I search for a stopover point it only provides me destinations that are on or near the route to the final destination. This may be ok in certain circumstances but that is not the way it works directly on the phone. It makes plotting of a circular route not possible. Such a route is desirable when one is on holiday and want to tour an area, starting and ending at the hotel, or whatever, where one is staying and stopping off at various places on the way round.

I have photos and screenshots included.
    The first one is the 1st page of results of a search for a destination 'edeka', the 2nd one is the 2nd page of results, ie 6 in total, the 3rd is the destination selected 'liederhalle stuttgart', the 4th is the search result page for 'edeka' when selecting a stopover point on journey to the liederhalle,. The fifth is the second results page. The 6th is a screenshot from the phone after a search for 'edeka as stopover point is done.
    2ufe5nrjw82d.jpg
    oz3u49uyfncl.jpg
    9qn27f0s878x.jpg
    xb5eu7awbdjv.jpg
    eouqz64qliad.jpg

6hy5adnawzhx.jpg

AA Version 6.2.610914
    @szachowa

This limit on 6 entries for non-google apps under AA is obviously a ploy by google to emasculate all non-google navigation apps to reduce the competition for google maps/waze. The excuse of safety is rubbish because it applies always, regardless of whether the car is moving or parked!

AA Version 6.2.610914
  • fedepifedepi Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi. I would like to know the difference between TomTom Go and TomTom Navigation and what’s the most affidable for long trips? Which of 2 apps is the principal for TomTom? Thanks!!
    Staff
    edited April 20
    fedepi wrote: »
    Hi. I would like to know the difference between TomTom Go and TomTom Navigation and what’s the most affidable for long trips? Which of 2 apps is the principal for TomTom? Thanks!!

Hi @fedepi
    TomTom GO Mobile - our old application for Android based on old map standard and with old map renderer
    TomTom GO Navigation - our updated application for Android based on new map standard and with new map renderer
    TomTom Navigation - probably you have been added to Beta program, and you are seeing Beta version of TomTom GO Navigation.

I have taken these names from Google Play Store/application. It can be a little bit confusing, but please stick to TomTom GO Navigation, which is our principal navigation app for Android with onboard maps.
    Here is the link to Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.gplay.navapp . Latest released version of our production application is 2.3.7.
    Community Manager
    The TomTom GO Navigation app supporting Navigation Data Standard (NDS) is the successor of the GO Mobile app with classic maps. We are about to get rid of the stand-alone GO Mobile board here on our forum.
  • fedepifedepi Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited April 20
    Community Manager
    This is the same GO Navigation app but beta.