Android Auto & TomTom GO Navigation — TomTom Community

Android Auto & TomTom GO Navigation

JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,777
Community Manager
Following Google's announcement, we’d like to share that TomTom is participating in Google’s Early Access program for Android Auto. As early access partners, GO Navigation will release Android Auto functionality to beta testers by the end of this year. We will share more information as it becomes available.

Comments

• Frantz1966Frantz1966 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited August 2020
    I'm looking forward to it 👍 👍

Mod edit: Machine translated from French!
  • bwichersbwichers Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I like to be a beta tester
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 264 [Exalted Navigator]
    My experience is TomTom pushes these things to other than volunteers.
  • MvIperenMvIperen Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Can't wait...
    Would live to be a bèta tester, always used TomTom till I got a new car with Android Auto support
  • lneamlneam Posts: 75 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    Following Google's announcement, we’d like to share that TomTom is participating in Google’s Early Access program for Android Auto. As early access partners, GO Navigation will release Android Auto functionality to beta testers by the end of this year. We will share more information as it becomes available.

Hi Jürgen,
    to skip all the misunderstanding, we are not talking about "mirrorlink" connection ?

if we are talking about Android Auto, how we connect the device ?
    only with usb cable ? or we have also wi-fi abillity?
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 44 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Ineam, Android Auto is usually 'wired' ie the connection between the phone and infotainment system is via a USB cable.

AA supports a wireless connection, but only the most recent vehicle head units support this (for example the MY2021 VAG cars) so most of us won't see it for a few years.

This connection choice is nothing to do with whatever apps appear in AA's main screen - that's down to which apps are deemed compatible with AA, and for navigation at the moment I believe it's only Google navigation and Waze. If TT GO is added to the approved list, it will appear on the car's AA screen as an app, ie very similar to the interface on an Android phone.

We can only hope that TT achieve rapid success with this endeavour and that the AA-compatible app has fewer bugs and downright fails than the current 'new' version.
  • lneamlneam Posts: 75 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Ineam, Android Auto is usually 'wired' ie the connection between the phone and infotainment system is via a USB cable.

AA supports a wireless connection, but only the most recent vehicle head units support this (for example the MY2021 VAG cars) so most of us won't see it for a few years.

This connection choice is nothing to do with whatever apps appear in AA's main screen - that's down to which apps are deemed compatible with AA, and for navigation at the moment I believe it's only Google navigation and Waze. If TT GO is added to the approved list, it will appear on the car's AA screen as an app, ie very similar to the interface on an Android phone.

We can only hope that TT achieve rapid success with this endeavour and that the AA-compatible app has fewer bugs and downright fails than the current 'new' version.

i believe that technologies like android auto, mirrorlink, apple carplay, etc are a total disaster for the customers. Too many incompatibilities, and bugs. Only special versions of apps can play. When ? after some years tomtom is still beta !!!!

I wish that all the car infotainment systems can support only one technology, the HDMI. No matter if it was with cable or inside the wifi protocol.
  • PartnairPartnair Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I also would like to be a betatester. I' m using TOMTOM from its day of birth. Currently the TOMTOM Go mobile app for Android.
  • wschlichwschlich Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    As early access partners, GO Navigation will release Android Auto functionality to beta testers by the end of this year.

I would also love to become a beta tester for TomTom GO on Android Auto :-)
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 292 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hopefully will work with just the phone running AA and not actually be required to be connected to the car system.
  • Russo92Russo92 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I'd like to be a beta tester
  • jurjen74jurjen74 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Would love to beta test!
  • Waszko1980Waszko1980 Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ready to beta test TomTom! B)
  • BramblestormBramblestorm Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I'd like to be a beta tester.
  • TasarionTasarion Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just started with Android Auto and being forced to using Waze or Google Maps isn't perfect at all. Looking forward to it and I would be happy to participate in beta testing as well.
  • CaptainBCaptainB Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Happy to be a beta tester for the Android Auto App. Been with TomTom since Version 1 of the original phone app and would love to be able to get it on my car's infotainment screen again, as I did for a short while when it was a Jaguar InControl App.
  • ThomasKuijperThomasKuijper Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Same here, i like the android version of the app. Is there a way to become a beta tester?
  • simpd002simpd002 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Can I become a Beta tester please
  • BezulbaBezulba Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I'd love to become a beta tester too! Been a fan of Tom Tom since my bad bought it way back when it first came out but now i have little use for it since it doesn't support android auto.
  • MrRtTnMrRtTn Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I also really like to become a beta tester.
  • cerij101cerij101 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I'd like to be a beta tester too. Happy to record and submit all the bugs and issues I see.
  • SatIoMeSatIoMe Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited October 2020
    Will it be available in all languages?

Mod edit: Machine translated from Italian!
  • Ben120485Ben120485 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Is it possible to join the beta programme please? Would love to use TT on my car head unit
  • friggialberto23friggialberto23 Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Se vi serve un beta tester in italia....sono disponibile
  • intramangaintramanga Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Where can we sign up for beta tester ?