Navigation problems vacation round trip — TomTom Community

Navigation problems vacation round trip

AardbeiAardbei Posts: 18 [Legendary Explorer]
Hi All,

Last week I used the TomTom App for a round trip from The Netherlands - Gemany and Austria.
I'm using an Iphone SE (old version), CarPlay and the latest software version has been installed.

On every single trip I had some troubles.

Navigation is not on the correct road
Sometimes the navigation works correctly for 300 kilometers and suddenly it loosed track.
It starts with incorrect indication of the speed.
Driving on cruise control and the the speed indication starts to fluctuate (+/- 10 km/hr).
TomTom has problems to stay on the right track (road) and then it starts to navigate in the middle of nowhere.

Incorrect indication of the road many times happen when you stop and stop the car (for instance a gas station).
If you want to continue, it looks that the navigation is OK, but within minutes the navigation is completely lost and stays lost. I have to restart the App or reset my Iphone.

Using winding roads is difficult for the App. Manytimes the navigation is not on the road but 200 - 300 meters beside the road.

Navigation is freezing
This is the most frustrating fault. The navigation freezes completely.
Sometimes this can only be solved be resetting my iphone.
The freezing issue happened every single road trip.
Sometime the freezing is only for a minute, or a couple of minutes and it can happen that it freezes permantely.

Resetting my Iphone before leaving
I tried the option to reset my Iphone every time before a leave.
Also this option is not solving the problems.

Conclusions

If you want a stress free navigation, the GO App is no option for me.

I'm a big fan of TomTom navigation, I have a device for my car and motorcylce and they always work.
Using the Go App in combination with Carplay is no match for me.
I have subscription for 6 months and if future updates are not changing the situation for me, I will cancel my subscription.

Best Answer

• AardbeiAardbei Posts: 18 [Legendary Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    I first did a test by cycling around with the TomTom App.
    The navigation was accurate and seems to be OK.

The second test was to enlarge the distance between my Multimedia Display and my Iphone. This test was also positive, at the moment I'm facing no navigation issues with the TomTom App.

I believe that the Multimedia Display was influencing the GPS of my IPhone.

Thanks Doug for the support and at the moment I enjoy the TomTom App.

Best regards,
    Frank

Answers

• LevispLevisp Posts: 73 [Supreme Navigator]
    edited August 2020
    This may not be the fault of TomTom Go App but rather the power and quality of gps signal from your iPhone SE. I say that because when I had an SE the app performed in a similar way as you have described. Basically not great. When I up graded to an iPhone 8 Plus the app worked much better. I successfully navigated from here in UK across France to Triberg in Germany without any problems. I have since bought a rider 550 and use that now instead of iPhone. I find the rider 550 is more accurate in position than my iPhone. I presume the latest iPhone with more processing power would compare favourable to the rider 550 but thats just a guess.
    Hi Levisp,

I'm also using the TomTom Go App in combination with an Iphone 8. I have the same issues with the Iphone 8.
    I'm not blaming only the TomTom Go App, because it seems that when I use the Go App stand-alone, meaning without Carplay, the navigation quality improves.

The biggest problem is that the GPS position is not accurate. Sometimes the positioning is 200 meters away from the (straight) highway. This is the case with the stand-alone and Carplay connection.

I have no clue if this is an Iphone or TomTom Go problem.
  • LevispLevisp Posts: 73 [Supreme Navigator]
    OK Thought you were using the app with iPhone SE (old version)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,272
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Aardbei
    Who is the Service Provider for your Phone/s....
    Some Providers have appalling coverage in rural areas....

ATB YFM
    @ Levisp

I'm using an Iphone SE (old version) for private use and I have an Iphone 8 for business.
    @ YamFazMan

I'm using T-Mobile (Netherlands) for both Iphones.

I understood that the TomTom App is only using the GPS coordinates for navigation and that the Service Provider is only needed to get actual traffic information.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,769
    Superuser
    Hi @Aardbei

I have the iPhone SE (old) and have no location issues when in Phone or CarPlay use. Where are you placing the phone whilst you are using it in CarPlay mode. I have a Golf and it is connected to the unit via USB cable and the phone is usually placed just to the rear of the Auto Gear lever.I have had it in the slot in front of the gear lever and it works fine there as well.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap
    Good to hear that your Iphone SE is working fine.

My Iphone SE is connected via an USB cable and the positioned in the ventilation grid of the car, see picture.

djb5edgqjmza.jpg

I will test the TomTom App on my bicycle, no CarPlay and USB cable connected to my Iphone SE.

Best regards.
    Superuser
    Hi @Aardbei

Have you tried moving the phone further away from the CarPlay screen? Just a thought as it may be the way you have taken the picture but there looks like some possible interference in the CarPlay image...

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,272
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @Aardbei
    Check the area where you are having problems against the Map, the Phone signal coverage looks pretty sparse when you zoom in ???
    Here... https://www.nperf.com/en/map/NL/-/5701.T-Mobile/signal/?ll=51.61119461048402&lg=6.108398437500001&zoom=7

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi @DougLap

The interference on the picture is due to the Iphone picture.
    But in general, it's a good suggestion to place the Iphone away from the display.
    I will try that out.

Frank
    Accepted Answer
    I first did a test by cycling around with the TomTom App.
    The navigation was accurate and seems to be OK.

The second test was to enlarge the distance between my Multimedia Display and my Iphone. This test was also positive, at the moment I'm facing no navigation issues with the TomTom App.

I believe that the Multimedia Display was influencing the GPS of my IPhone.

Thanks Doug for the support and at the moment I enjoy the TomTom App.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Superuser
    Hi @Aardbei

Glad you are sorted.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0