RIder 550 compared to android tomtom go? — TomTom Community

RIder 550 compared to android tomtom go?

jyorkejyorke Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
Hi All,

I previously had a Rider 400, that was good, however due to having a new phone, I had Bluetooth issues, so I upgraded my Rider 400 to a Rider 550, where I had all sorts of issues, as I could get my pairing to work with my Sena headset, but not my phone, after some changes and resets, managed to get my phone working, but pairing with my headset failed. Sometimes it would work then only when adding in some routes, the headset would fail re connect about a dozen times.
So it just gathered dust in the cupboard for about 8 months.
When I had updates and my phone (android Samsung 10se) , retried last year and everything worked.
Then sods law happened, Some of my biking buddies brought new headsets (different brands), so my Sena was no longer compatible.
anyway... long story short...
I am toying on the idea now and installing Tom Tom Go on my phone, as now we are using an application called BikerCom, that you pay 12 squids a year but unlimited persons you can chat to. you call into a resource (Free, yes I know its £12 so its not free).
So really I don't need both phone and Rider, I might as well just use my phone as I can control my phone via voice command.
and Everyone is happy.
SO I need pro's and cons on TomTom GO android app. Can anyone assist before I take the plunge?

Cheers all
James

Best Answer

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 699 [Revered Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    The new NDS TomTom GO Navigation for Android has changed quite a bit compared to the Rider. (iOS version is not able to navigate GPX tracks yet)
    - NDS maps with different route calculation in the Cloud and local backup.
    - More frequent partial map updates.
    - Alternative route at known roadblocks or fasteralternative.
    - Only syncing Tracks no ITN routes.
    - No community POI’s
    - No track recording
    - No zoom buttons anymore. Pinch zoom can be very difficult on your bike.
    - Less clear map display.
    - Harder to use with gloves.
    - High risk of damaging the smartphones camera on your bike.
    - Is your phone really waterproof?
    - How to power your Phone? Cable is not waterproof, waterproof case or QI can run your phone to hot. Battery only can only be used for short routes.

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 699 [Revered Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    The new NDS TomTom GO Navigation for Android has changed quite a bit compared to the Rider. (iOS version is not able to navigate GPX tracks yet)
    - NDS maps with different route calculation in the Cloud and local backup.
    - More frequent partial map updates.
    - Alternative route at known roadblocks or fasteralternative.
    - Only syncing Tracks no ITN routes.
    - No community POI’s
    - No track recording
    - No zoom buttons anymore. Pinch zoom can be very difficult on your bike.
    - Less clear map display.
    - Harder to use with gloves.
    - High risk of damaging the smartphones camera on your bike.
    - Is your phone really waterproof?
    - How to power your Phone? Cable is not waterproof, waterproof case or QI can run your phone to hot. Battery only can only be used for short routes.