I purchased my TOMTOM Start 52 May 1st 2020. Recently asked to update for speed cameras. — TomTom Community

I purchased my TOMTOM Start 52 May 1st 2020. Recently asked to update for speed cameras.

Jeffrow_73Jeffrow_73 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited August 2020 in TomTom Services
I contacted TomTom and took out Speed cameras world for 1 year. Having paid for it your assistant advised me that I had taken out the wrong product and said she would refund me the £29.95 I paid. She then put me through to a technical assistant to update my TomTom for me. His work took an absolute age having taken over my computer and then I was landed with a bill of £263.99 which I was aghast at. Have I been conned by TomTom? The invoice for this work came from Sat Nav Maps Uk and covers Lifetime maps and speed camera-Life Time Maps and Updates. The invoice states ' Thank you for your payment. You just made our day' and there is no authorised signature.Could you please look into this for me as I feel as though I have been conned by TomTom. Yours sincerely Jeff Tel: xxxxxx

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 301 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited August 2020
    You got HEAVILY RIPPED OFF

YOU DON'T NEED TO CALL TOMTOM TO BUY SPEED CAMERAS SUBSCRIPTION

Buy the service from TomTom's website
    https://tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/speed-camera-updates/world/
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,053
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Jeffrow_73
    Welcome to the site....
    I'm Sorry but you have been Scammed :/
    See The 'Scam' Info Link in my Signature....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,678 Moderator
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Jeffrow_73
    Sorry to hear about this scamming thing...
    Cannot be a genuine TomTom website where you are asked to give the control of your computer and further being charged for the same..
    If you could name the website or provide a link it will help our team investigate the case.
    Also, some information on how you landed on this page will be an additional advantage.

Flagging this for @Luca to review.

Thanks, Vikram
  • LucaLuca Posts: 10
    Staff
    Hi @Jeffrow_73 ,

Really sorry to hear about this, can also confirm that you have been interacting with a scam site and that Sat Nav Maps Uk is by no means affiliated with TomTom.

As mentioned by @VikramK , could you share the name of the website and how (i.e. using which search criteria) you reached to it? this will help TomTom take some measures against them.

As you did make a payment, please contact you payment provider and explain them that you have been scammed as we advise in the link posted by @YamFazMan .

• Jeffrow_73Jeffrow_73 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you for your reply. The point is that I was purchasing an update for Speed Cameras with TomTom and Tom Tom (via the lady operative that I was talking to) redirected me to the scam site and so I was under the impression that I was still dealing direct with TomTom.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,822
    Superuser
    Hi @Jeffrow_73

There have been no Phone lines operating with Tomtom Customer Services during the Covid crisis as so many have been working from home so when you were speaking to the Lady you were not talking to Tomtom. I suspect you were on the scam site from the beginning. That being the case it would be useful to find out how you finished up with the site.

Doug
    I hear what you say however I definitely spoke to TomTom and they have definitely sent me an invoice to cover the update of the speed camera information which I paid for by PayPal.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,822
    Superuser
    Hi @Jeffrow_73

Out of curiosity did you make the initial purchase from the Tomtom website and then did you decide to contact Tomtom customer Support about it after.because it had not appeared on your device so you want to chase it up. Why would a Tomtom agent say you had bought the wrong product as that is the only one available for Cameras.

If you have then tried to contact customer support then I assume that is how you have finished up with the lady saying she would refund the money which have you seen in your account yet?

If you have purchased the Subscription from Tomtom it should appear under subs in your account. Click on following

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/

Log in to your account then Tap the Person icon top right and you will see a subscription option.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,053
    Superusers
    edited October 2020
    Hi
    @Jeffrow_73
    There are no Tomtom Support Phone lines open....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...(Normal Office Hours)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    (1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

The Scam websites are remarkably convincing and the Phone call or Chat line is where you get first get suckered in... then the Support Service person (Scammer) rings you to completes the Scam....

Have you checked your PayPal account to see where your money has been transferred to ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited August 2020
    Message for Luca

I purchased my TomTom Start 52 Car Sat Nav 5 inch GPS Lifetime UK and RO1 Maps, Lane assist on April 25th 2020. About a fortnight ago I received an email from TomTom asking whether I would like to update for Speed Camera. I contacted TomTom August 7th and spoke to one of TomTom's female advisors. This resulted in my taking out and paying for Speed Camera World 1 year for £29.95 inclusive of VAT. Whilst speaking to the advisor she said that I had taken out the wrong service and would be willing to refund me the £29.95. She then advised that it would be better for me to take out full Lifetime Service for Mapping and Speed cameras, she then put me through to another person to explain this to me. I commenced discussion with an Indian sounding gentleman who agreed that it would be better for me to have the Lifetime Mapping and Speed Camera Service and that he could do this for me however he would need to take over control of my computer. You need to understand that at this point I thought that I was still in the hands of TomTom and so I agreed to go ahead and let him do this for me. After about an hour he confirmed that he had completed the exercise and asked me for payment of £263.99 inclusive of VAT . I was absolutely shocked at the amount however believing it was TomTom I made a payment using PayPal. It wasn't till later after receiving an invoice for the work that I found out that it was not TomTom who had carried out the work but Sat Nav Maps UK. So the lady I had spoken to at TomTom had put me through to another company. This is very deceiving and an absolute con. In fact I don't know whether anything has been put on my computer or not. I can only suggest that TomTom take action against the gentleman and Sat Nav Maps UK and obtain a refund of £263.99 for me. I initially made contact with TomTom using my Safari search engine. I attach emails and correspondence with TomTom inclusive of all invoices and receipts of payment.

Jef

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!
    Luca

Please note that my receipt for payment from PayPal indicates:-

Merchant GPS UNIT MAP LLC

[email protected]

201-761-9746

Note Sat Nav Maps UK Service Invoice has charged for VAT however no VAT number shown on their invoice. Perhaps they are not registered. ?

Please note that the bottom of their invoice indicates:- Any question re invoice or the subscription please contact at [email protected] or call 0800 689 1713

Jeff
  • LucaLuca Posts: 10
    Staff
    Hi @Jeffrow_73 ,

as other users pointed out, you have not been in contact with TomTom all along, on August 7th you did not interact with a TomTom representative. It was part of the scam and you have not been put trough to a different company, only to a different person.

Do you recall what you searched for in your browser and the name of the website you landed on?

As suggested, please do file a claim with PayPal to attend recovering your funds.
    Also: this is a public space, if you want to share with TomTom the document you mentioned, use the support link on the top of this page.