GO Navigation App (Android) available for all — TomTom Community

GO Navigation App (Android) available for all

Hello everyone,

The new Go Navigation App (v2.2.3) for Android is released for all the users.

Key improvements:
• The latest customizable offline maps, updated weekly
• Enhanced home screen and guidance view
• Lane-level navigation at exits and junctions
• Auto-renewal subscription plans at lower prices

Regards, lampard

Comments

• EdianEdian Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hello,

I just lost all my routes after the new update. Is this a known issue?

Kind regards,

Edian
  • flamingm0eflamingm0e Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Edian wrote: »
    Hello,

I just lost all my routes after the new update. Is this a known issue?

Kind regards,

Edian

It's been an issue since they started embarking on shoving this update on us. It's been a known problem for a year, that they have refused to fix.
  • g_veldhuizeng_veldhuizen Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks, Lampard. Got it.
  • GCMGCM Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Since the APP update I've lost my POIs and APP isn't syncing with MyDrive. My TomTom Go is still ok though
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 35 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi @lampard ,

The description and pictures are misleading (ambiguous) in the play store.

The pictures (screenshots) are still from 1.18.xx versions.

This is not clear for me:
    There is a "- Weekly Map Updates:" mentioned in the top, then further down:
    "Download 4 or more full updates of any installed map per year."

So it is weekly or or 4/ year?
  • Frantz1966Frantz1966 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited August 2020
    Hello everyone, I installed the latest version last night with the new cut out cards, which is handy. A few small remarks about contacts. There is no search engine when navigating to a contact. You have to use the Scroll, which is not practical. In addition, if you have a contact with several addresses, the application does not show you the list of addresses to make your choice, but a map where the addresses of your contact are placed among all your favorites. There again an ergonomics problem. Apart from that, and for the moment, I find that there is a lot of progress in terms of design. Last thing, the possibility of displaying the current time is missing. This existed in the previous version.
    Good evening.

Mod edit: Machine translated (French)
  • BMWarlockBMWarlock Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    With every previous version I could have the whole of Europe on my Motorolla XPlay phones by using additional storage on SD card. This wonderful new version doesn't allow this, only main phone memory. Result - The phone memory is full up with UK and Germany only. Useless for my needs. This is a totally retrograde step by a company which appears to have a death wish. After 12 years of using Tomtom I'm close to abandoning it!
  • pabapaba Posts: 23
    Staff
    @BMWarlock

you may wanna check some tips I added regarding placing maps on external sdcard
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1718682/#Comment_1718682
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 267 [Exalted Navigator]
    My experience is that once the NDS maps install to MainMemory you are stuck. They install to an inaccessible /system directory. I imagine if you are rooted, you could get around that.
    paba wrote: »
    @BMWarlock

you may wanna check some tips I added regarding placing maps on external sdcard
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1718682/#Comment_1718682

Very interesting and thanks pabac - But all my phones have adopted SD cards and I cannot/will not change that just for this appallingly bad Tomtom implementation. What were they thinking?? Maps are usually the largest files on any phone and to install in this way, with no interaction with the user is sheer incompetence. Why couldn't it simply install in exactly the same way and location as the version it overwrote? I have wasted hours of my time over this, uninstalled loads of apps from my phones that I now wish I hadn't, and I have a a GPS system that covers one third of the territory I want and need. I am furious. Tomtom, have you no shame?
  • pabapaba Posts: 23
    Staff
    edited August 2020
    uninstalled loads of apps from my phones that I now wish I hadn't

But if you have adopted storage card then you could just move those others apps there right?
    Maps are usually the largest files on any phone and to install in this way, with no interaction with the user is sheer incompetence.

This is not ideal indeed, just one thing about adopted storage is that it is encrypted and emulated so read/write access performance is poor. Especially for app that has to constantly read from it, so not good fit for offline navigation.
    [/quote] This is not ideal indeed, just one thing about adopted storage is that it is encrypted and emulated so read/write access performance is poor. Especially for app that has to constantly read from it, so not good fit for offline navigation.
    [/quote]

I used the previous version on adopted SD memory for 3/4 years. It worked perfectly. I had no problems. I was very happy. I had the full 8.5 GB Europe map at my disposal at all times and had plenty of space for apps on main memory, where necessary, or on adopted where possible. The phones only have 16GB main memory and every app that can be on adopted SD has now been moved or removed. Please don't tell me that this latest version is better. I pay for it, I have spent hours trying to use it and, for me, it's a disaster. Tomtom has been bragging about this new android version for almost a year. Many users complained about loss of functionality in the new version but were ignored. I hadn't realised until too late that a phone with >64GB inbuilt memory was essential if more than one large country was to be downloaded.

If I could, I would revert back to the "old version immediately.
    lampard wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

The new Go Navigation App (v2.2.3) for Android is released for all the users.

Key improvements:

Regards, lampard

I'm so sorry but I don't agree.
    Most of the key improvements you stated, are drawbacks instead.

The latest customizable offline maps, updated weekly:
    Just check the forum some user reported the maps are worst than before, becouse does not covering some areas.

Enhanced home screen and guidance view:
    The colors were washed out, less visible than it was.
    The "big blue guidance board" looks absolutely awful.
    The volume adjustment is completely gone.

Lane-level navigation at exits and junctions:
    Wasn't this there before?

Auto-renewal subscription...
    I'm not sure it is good for me at all.

...at lower prices: At least some compensation of degraded features. Of course, degraded features is not emphasized in the announcement.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,113
    Community Manager
    We will address map colour settings so you can choose from different profiles.

The static Advanced Lane Guidance has become Moving Lane Guidance.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 684 [Revered Pioneer]
    @Jürgen Can we also get the zoom buttons back?

It is now almost impossible to zoom while driving.
    With pinch the center is also easily shifted resulting in a screen that does not follow the navigation arrow. (the arrow than moves over the screen)

Please also create an option to display the original track as a thin line in a alternate color on the screen. And the option to display community POI's on the screen.
  • Sp4rkySp4rky Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    We will address map colour settings so you can choose from different profiles.

The static Advanced Lane Guidance has become Moving Lane Guidance.

Can you please advise on the following

Advanced Lane Guidance has become Moving Lane Guidance - what's the difference?

Also what is the subscription price difference. I'm asking as my subscription is due to expire on October and at this stage I'm. It sure if I will renew.
    Community Manager
    This article shows an animation of Moving Lane Guidance:
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013961719-About-Moving-Lane-Guidance

Pricing starts with the one year subscription at 12.99.
    edited August 2020
    @Jürgen The linked animation is from 1.18... version
    3y3v5dw8z2hv.gif
    In the new version we do have disgusting, giant blue backgrounder arrow and direction info
    BTW. The screenshots in play store also old and misleading.
  • miki_MBmiki_MB Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited August 2020
    It's not from the "old" version, this is completely new feature! This particular animation gif is from iOS version, and it look 10x better without ugly blue board.
    miki_MB wrote: »
    ... from iOS version
    Then there is no place here in "GO Navigation App (Android) available for all" topic.
  • fomifomi Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi,

Just wanted to say I had to downgrade to 1.18.1 because this new app is seriously flawed

* Cards seems more detailed, so take more space (that's why they are all split in pieces), and scrolling the chart is now much slower than previous app

* More importantly, like it has already been mentioned, the huge blue nav panel takes a lot of space on a small screen ( I have a Sony compact), and I can't see the road ahead. So I need to click on the map to remove the panel, then click again on the small compass button to put it back. So it needs a lot a tapping samll zones on the screen making the navigation utterly much more DANGEROUS.

Please correct this issue, not everyone has a 7 inch screen...
  • miki_MBmiki_MB Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited August 2020
    dezmo wrote: »
    Then there is no place here in "GO Navigation App (Android) available for all" topic.
    I agree, but idea was to show new moving lane guidelines feature in action, and it is exactly the same in both iOS and Android. I like it very much, so much better than Sygic's "lines".
    w45trbkffm3o.jpg

Blue/green instruction billboard is so annoying, blocking almost 1/3 of the screen, especially when you drive in slow speed, as you have different angle (more zoomed in) comparing to higher speeds, hope this will be removed in future updates.
    I have one question regarding 3D objects: in previous version 1.18, some of the "important" buildings were quite detailed, not bland, semi-transparent gray objects like in new version. Why is that?

Regards,
    Community Manager
    We are actively working on making improvements to the next instruction panel (the blue/green box) in an upcoming release.
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 112 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    This article shows an animation of Moving Lane Guidance:
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013961719-About-Moving-Lane-Guidance

The moving lane guidance isn't always correct. I was yesterday on an exit of a motorway/highway. This exit had two lane each going to a different direction. The audio direction were clear, but the guidance showed the two lanes in blue.

Additionally, there seems to be issues with the zooming. Sometimes, at the start or a route, it zoomed out and seems to want to give a (very) wide overview of the route and doesn't zoom anymore whilst driving. The zooming option is checked though and there isn't any logic for this behavior.

• fabiofi17fabiofi17 Posts: 47 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited August 2020
    i have installed last tomtom version on my Xiaomi Mi9, a VERY powerful phone.

The optimization of the app is a UGLY, slow map, slow scrollings, bad graphics, UGE next instrucion panels, 2D map SLOW AND WORSE during the scrolling, VERY BAD Frames per Second!!!!!!!...and my phone is powerfull!!

Every App goes perfectly!!!!!!

TRAFFIC displaying bad tha before, traffic strips now are tiny and statics, before.... was fat and animated.

Bad graphics, bad UI, BAD GPS APP AT ALL!

I NOT RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTION.

thanks for ruined my favourite app.

PS: A L O T of playstore reviews (i have italian PlayStore) say the same ... (infact playstore vote is under the 4 stars) .... something goes wrong with this app, tomtom developers are not good.........
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category2

Karmann
Karmann
paba2
paba2