New app crashes every time I start navigation — TomTom Community

New app crashes every time I start navigation

olawtonolawton Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I've got an Android 8.1.0 head unit in my car and the old TomTom GO ran perfectly on it. The new version starts up and loads the map but crashes as soon as I select any destination.
Is there any fix for this?
I've read that there's no way to reinstall the old version. I don't feel like buying a new head unit just to run TomTom GO, my current one runs all the other apps I use.
Thanks

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 290 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Maybe a software bug. There is a way to install an older version. Search for an APK.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    Hi @olawton

I think Tomtom have stated that the latest version of the App has not been tested for Head units .

Doug
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,590
    Community Manager
    As @DougLap stated, we are not testing the app on built-in Android devices. The app is optimised for mobile phones.
  • wolfemanchriswolfemanchris Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Same for me. Crashes as soon as you select Drive on my head unit.

Who would have guessed people might want to use the app on a car head unit.

Used and paid for the app for over 4 years

Another lost customer.
  • flamingm0eflamingm0e Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Same for me. Crashes as soon as you select Drive on my head unit.

Who would have guessed people might want to use the app on a car head unit.

Used and paid for the app for over 4 years

Another lost customer.

Their stance on Android Head Units is really strange to me. An Android device is an Android device. It shouldn't matter if it's a phone, tablet, or head unit. The head units are merely "tablets" on your dash. The fact they refuse to even care about problems on head units means that my subscription that is up in February is not being renewed.

That along with this crappy new update they have forced on us, removing functionality, means I will be using other options for navigation and not recommending TomTom (in any form) to anyone any more.
    Yeah. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no dice. Crashes as soon as I click drive

Installed it on my phone as I have almost a year of subscription left - it won't let me login to retrieve my account until the month trial ends. So I have to set my home etc and can't access my saved destinations for 3 weeks.

What a joke and I won't be renewing. Good work TomTom!
  • grantstewgrantstew Posts: 79
    Staff
    edited August 12
    "Installed it on my phone as I have almost a year of subscription left - it won't let me login to retrieve my account until the month trial ends. So I have to set my home etc and can't access my saved destinations for 3 weeks."

Go to the main menu / tomtom services / then Log In.

Now flick the MyDrive switch to on.

This will restore Home, Work and any other favourites you had sync'd previously, also it will retrieve your subscription, which you can view in settings / Subscriptions.
    Thanks but the app doesn't work in my car since the new version was installed so its moot.
  • TV105TV105 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi - had the same on my old Android 6 head unit and my new Android 8 Head Unit.

Is there already a fix???