Problems using routes in new rider versions. — TomTom Community

Problems using routes in new rider versions.

xvendrellxvendrell Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
Hi,

Two years ago I changed my old rider v1. In the old versions of the rider, I loaded the routes and could choose whether to skip a waypoint or go back to a previous waypoint easily. With the new version this is not possible. It always tries to calculate from the beginning or from the position we are at, but it does not let me choose if I want to use a previous or subsequent waypoint.

Is there a way to use the old system, which DOES work. Every day I am more disappointed with the modern system that these tomtoms have.

Thanks

Francesc Xavier Vendrell

Comments

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 290 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Using the old version of the firmware is impossible on modern devices. There is a chance that the option is moved to another place. Take a look at the Help section or contact TomTom support.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 544 [Revered Pioneer]
    edited August 9
    The new Riders prefer Tracks. When you use a .GPX file or the Sync option in MyDrive the route will always become a Track.

When you prefer Routes you can sill use .ITN Routes on a Rider 4x0 an 5x0 and drive like you are used to on the older Riders. (only all waypoints(Stops) are hard)
    Just import the ITN route on your Rider with a USB cable or micro-SD card.
    The Current Route menu lets jou for example skip stops.

If it is a simple route with just 20 waypoints you can also use "Send Stops" in MyDrive or "Send ITN Route" on my website to load the Route using the MyDrive Cloud.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,419
    Superusers
    Hi
    @xvendrell
    Maybe useful....

.GPX Track....
    The Save & Sync option saves a .GPX Track... it's basically a bread crumb track that you follow....

.ITN Routes....
    I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note...When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner....

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner....
    For .ITN Routes with NO Stops... The Menu Shows 'Send Destination'
    iiqpfjt825ei.jpg
    For .ITN Routes with Stops........... The Menu Changes to 'Send Stops'
    z9lgonvfc3fi.jpg
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Twenty Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware .ITN Routes....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer and when 'A' IS NOT your present location...
    The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

Important....
    For a more detailed info about the 'Dropped 1st Stop Bug'
    Click on the Link...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Then Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the Route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • xvendrellxvendrell Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    RoadRider wrote: »
    The new Riders prefer Tracks. When you use a .GPX file or the Sync option in MyDrive the route will always become a Track.

When you prefer Routes you can sill use .ITN Routes on a Rider 4x0 an 5x0 and drive like you are used to on the older Riders. (only all waypoints(Stops) are hard)
    Just import the ITN route on your Rider with a USB cable or micro-SD card.
    The Current Route menu lets jou for example skip stops.

If it is a simple route with just 20 waypoints you can also use "Send Stops" in MyDrive or "Send ITN Route" on my website to load the Route using the MyDrive Cloud.

Hi,

This is the problem. In the old devices you upload a route. And then you could jump a waypoint or reuse the last waypoint. Now i'ts impossible. If you have a route now you can't modify nothing. It's very dificult drive in this conditions. For example, you arrives in your hotel, at night. Then, you go to the near town to dinner. And then, you canno't use the waypoint "hotel" to drive to hotel.

Wy if the old routes system works fine Tomtom change this for a other that is bad. Nothig in the new route system is better than old. We talk with a lot of tomtom users and I don't know any that like the new system.

Thank you very much, but I don't see any advantage in the new system.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @xvendrell
    With the .ITN route that contains the waypoint/stop of the "Hotel" Active/Running on the device....
    To toggle the view to the 2D North-up planning Map
    Tap on the Direction on travel pointer (Above the Plus & Minus Signs)

pifbk61zuxwb.jpg
    Pinch zoom & swipe to the "Hotel" waypoint/stop
    Long Tap (Tap and hold for 1second +) on the "Hotel" waypoint/stop Icon
    Tap the (Drive button)... The device will calculate the route from your present location to the "Hotel"

Note... If the .ITN Route containing the waypoint/stop "Hotel" still has further use, make sure the .ITN Route is saved to MyRoutes....

Or... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces --> Recent destinations....
    The Recent destinations list contains your last destination/s and .ITN Stops
    The list is in reverse order i.e the last stop visited heads the list....
    Scroll down the list select the waypoint/stop for the "Hotel"... Tap the (Drive button)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Thank you very much.

I have needed to read your message several times to understand something. It is incredible that tomtom complicate it so much, when before it was so easy and intuitive. I understand that tomtom want to add new things, but removing one that already worked fine and that I never had to read anything to use it, is a big mistake.

GPS have to make travels easier. If tomtom complicates our lives, what does it worth?

Thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,419
    Superusers
    edited August 10
    Hi
    @xvendrell
    You're welcome, glad you're getting sorted :)

A little more light lockdown reading... Tomtom Rider 5x0 User guide....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014295100-RIDER-500-550-User-Manual

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @xvendrell
    You're welcome, glad you're getting sorted :)

A little more light lockdown reading... Tomtom Rider 5x0 User guide....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014295100-RIDER-500-550-User-Manual

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Yes, This is the problem. 14 years with my old tomtom and NEVER need use a guide. And now, to do any easy thing, I need read a guide or ask in the forums.

In my work we make simple and easy interfaces for programs and websites. I know what I'm talking about when I say that these modern tomtoms are not very intuitive.