Maps on SD card. Impossible? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Maps on SD card. Impossible?

2»

Comments

• grofgrof Posts: 30 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited August 21
    Hi Jurgen,

That is not my experience, nor that of the others posting about this 'new' problem. Plus it's much better to have the maps than not. Surely if they worked before the update and people are contracted into the software, any updates should at least persist using the same hardware! If TT want to make it work with portable great, but don't make it not work with adopted!

What TT are asking those of us using adopted storage to do is completely reconfigure their phone just to accommodate one piece of software. It is non starter for alot of us.

Could you please explain how one gets the update made compatible. Perhaps another update?

Thanks again...
  • BMWarlockBMWarlock Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Tomtom - all we are asking is that the new version installs and works as well on adopted SD cards as the old version did. Even if performance is slightly degraded compared to "true memory" that's a problem we can live with. That's what we're used to! Don't try to make the best the enemy of the good.

What I and others CAN'T live with is having only a fraction of the maps we need and phones constantly informing us that there's a shortage of memory even when there is >100GB sitting spare in the adopted SD card - and, by the way, overall degraded phone performance as a consequence of this severely reduced main memory!

Is that really so had to comprehend? Not everyone has or can afford to purchase the latest and greatest phone every time there's a Tomtom upgrade.

Please, as a matter of urgency, sort this out.
    edited August 21
    Ditto, this really needs fixing pronto. The so called 'upgrade' to 2.2.3 was prompted when I was in France and because I could not install to the phone (no previous warning) had to use Google maps instead of my paid for TT app! Come on Tom Tom, please put this right!
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 246 [Exalted Navigator]
    Adoptable Storage

Android has always supported external storage accessories (such as SD cards), but these accessories were historically limited to simple file storage, due to their expected impermanence and the minimal data protection offered to traditional external storage. Android 6.0 introduced the ability to adopt external storage media to act like internal storage.

Caution: On devices running Android 7.0-8.1, file-based encryption (FBE) can't be used together with adoptable storage. On devices using FBE, new storage media (such as an SD card) must be used as traditional storage.

Devices running Android 9 and higher can use adoptable storage and FBE.

When external storage media is adopted, it’s formatted and encrypted to only work with a single Android device at a time. Because the media is strongly tied to the Android device that adopted it, it can safely store both apps and private data for all users.

When users insert new storage media (such as an SD card) in an adoptable location, Android asks them how they want to use the media. They can choose to adopt the media, which formats and encrypts it, or they can continue using it as-is for simple file storage. If they choose to adopt, the platform offers to migrate the primary shared storage contents (typically mounted at /sdcard) to the newly adopted media, freeing up valuable space on internal storage. Unlike traditional storage, which is limited to 2TB due to its use of MBR, adoptable storage uses GPT and therefore has file storage limit of ~9ZB.

Apps can be placed on adopted storage media only when the developer has indicated support through the android:installLocation attribute. New installs of supported apps are automatically placed on the storage device with the most free space, and users can move supported apps between storage devices in the Settings app. Apps moved to adopted media are remembered while the media is ejected, and return when the media is reinserted.
    Security

The platform randomly generates encryption keys for each adopted device and stores them on the internal storage of the Android device. This effectively makes the adopted media as secure as internal storage. Keys are associated with adopted devices based on the adopted partition GUID.

If the device is configured to use file-based encryption (FBE) on its internal storage, then adoptable storage uses both FBE and metadata encryption. Otherwise, adoptable storage uses full-disk encryption (FDE).

The on-disk layout of the adopted device closely mirrors the internal data partition, including SELinux labels, etc. When multi-user is supported on the Android device, the adopted storage device also supports multi-user with the same level of isolation as internal storage.

Because the contents of an adopted storage device are strongly tied to the Android device that adopted it, the encryption keys should not be extractable from the parent device, and therefore the storage device can't be mounted elsewhere.

If your device uses FBE, see the FBE documentation and the metadata encryption documentation for how to configure FBE and metadata encryption on adoptable storage.
    Performance and stability

Only external storage media in stable locations, such as a slot inside a battery compartment or behind a protective cover, should be considered for adoption to help avoid accidental data loss or corruption. In particular, USB devices connected to a phone or tablet should never be considered for adoption. One common exception would be an external USB drive connected to a TV-style device, because the entire TV is typically installed in a stable location.

When a user adopts a new storage device, the platform runs a benchmark and compares its performance against internal storage. If the adopted device is significantly slower than internal storage, the platform warns the user about a possibly degraded experience. This benchmark was derived from the actual I/O behavior of popular Android apps. Currently, the AOSP implementation will only warn users beyond a single threshold, but device manufacturers may adapt this further, such as rejecting adoption completely if the card is extremely slow.

Adopted devices must be formatted with a filesystem that supports POSIX permissions and extended attributes, such as ext4 or f2fs. For optimal performance, the f2fs filesystem is recommended for flash-based storage devices.

When performing periodic idle maintenance, the platform issues FI_TRIM to adopted media just like it does for internal storage. The current SD card specification does not support the DISCARD command; but the kernel instead falls back to the ERASE command, which SD card firmware may choose to use for optimization purposes.
  • BMWarlockBMWarlock Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Here endeth the sermon. Let us now pray.
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 42 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    schneidernet, thanks hugely - an excellent description, especially as I was thinking of changing my phone next year and the choice is likely to be one which can use an SD card
  • JanjoengJanjoeng Posts: 10 [Novice Seeker]
    edited August 23
    Hi,
    Thanks all for your comments. Nice to hear that I'm not alone with this frustration.

@Jürgen:
    See my original post (topic starter) and another detailed report further on. I have my SD card formatted as portable storage and I am not able to store maps on SD.
    If there are more people with this issue, please raise your voices. Maybe some day someone will help us. (Don't know if I still believe this though ;-))
    Jan
    It would be different if the app/maps were a small and finite size like alot of other apps, but to restrict an app which by its very nature uses bags of storage seems a bit daft to say the least. Here's hoping TT will sort this ASAP.
  • WvanMierloWvanMierlo Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am running into the same problem. Till at least version 2.1.0 I was able to install to my sdcard. My phone only has 16 GB (Moto G5) of internal memory, and always had a sdcard as adoptable storage. Never experienced bad performance because of this and always had TomTom installed on the sdcard. Even if you have the app installed on adoptable storage , there is always the option to move it to internal storage if the user wishes so. I couldn't continue using the old version (1.18.x) of TomTom because I cannot extend the subscription. With the current version I cannot have the maps I need on my phone because of this new limitation. For me it is a reason not to renew my subscription.
    As previously mentioned I have been in touch with TT directly via email with this issue and they have confimed:

I have checked and would like to inform you that in order for maps to download to the SD card the sd card size must be larger than the internal memory and it cannot be set as extended internal memory

Unfortunately they made no suggestion that this issue would be rectified or even looked into. Just a plain old:

I hope the above given information is helpful to you. If you have any query or require further assistance, please feel free to get back to us anytime.

Well TT the above information is not particularly helpful as it does not solve the problem it created.

Please can a moderator pick this up and get it fixed. For many of us TT have just made the GO app unworkable. This is a massive own goal.

It would be good to get some confirmation too that we are being heard and that something is being done.
  • saffisaffi Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited August 25
    Had Tomtom Go on an Android car stereo (I know, not supported but common, where would you use it most??). How on earth can anyone come up with the idea to push an update in the middle of holiday season? We started out with perfectly working app and half way through the holiday (when in France, poor data connection not to mention that you are forced to download the maps again) I tried to get it all working again (even though I knew I would only be able to download the maps against huge cost because data bundles are finite abroad. Nothing worked. The whole app has become useless. I'm almost up for prolongation of the subscription but TT has lost a customer. I won't be the only one I guess. I've been using TT since it's inception. Sad to see they will go down because of the lack of quality.
    I read in a recent google play review (25 / 08) that they are working on it to make it in a future (?) release available again.
    edited August 26
    Thanks for mentioning this. Is there anyone there from TT who can confirm this and give us an idea of when please?

Why is it so hard to get TT to provide customer service? This complaint is made over and over but they just don't seem to care.
  • huselhusel Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited August 30
    As stated by the others: This really needs to get fixed.

Please leave the dicision to the phone's owner how to configure the storage setting on one's devices - I did intentionally choose the adoptable mode and I just want the Tomtom app to deal with that correctly - as it did with the versions < 2.2.3...
    In version 2.3 (4 September) it was fixed I noticed.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,707
    Community Manager
    WvanMierlo wrote: »
    In version 2.3 (4 September) it was fixed I noticed.
    This is indeed correct. Sorry but I only got confirmation now. The 2.3 build is currently at a 20% rollout.
    • Added support for SD cards formatted as internal storage
    • You can now search for contacts within the Contacts list