Maps on SD card. Impossible? — TomTom Community

Maps on SD card. Impossible?

JanjoengJanjoeng Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi,
I use the Go Mobile app on an Android phone (Sony Xperia XZ1 compact). The device is rooted.
I use it for several years without any real issues.
About a year ago (when I bought the phone I have now), it seemed to be impossible to store maps on the SC card. On the previous phone they were on the SD card (Xperia Z5c).
A few days ago, I wanted to get rid of the maps on the internal storage, because it was full.
So I uninstalled the app (and deleted related folders), but was unable to install it again. A message said my memory was full, but there was about 8GB free.
I read somewhere that removing the SD card would help. Not in my case. I finally managed to get an old version running (maps on SD though), but I can not upgrade, because the playstore tells me that I have upgraded to the latest version (oktober of november 2019).The old version is version 2.2.2.
Please what can I do to make it work again? And preferably with the maps on SD?
I have the paid subscription.
Thanks in advance,
Jan

Comments

• JanjoengJanjoeng Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    SC card should be SD card of course ;-)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,701
    Superuser
    Hi @Janjoeng

Hopefully @lampard can help you. Keep an eye out here.

Doug
    Thanks, Doug.
    I hope so. ;-)
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 267 [Exalted Navigator]
    Welcome to the Twilight Zone. I was where you are several months ago. Could no longer go back to 1.18 and could no longer force Map install to SD Card. Was a must as I had several needed OV2 files.

Seems 2.? now hides the Maps in a System directory that is hidden. Once there, you're done. I was forced to leave TT after over fifteen years. Still visit here out of curiosity.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your comment.
    I really hope there is a solution. I don't want to leave TT. But I need the possibility to store on SD, just like you. So I hope there is an other option than leaving.
    Could you tell what software you use now? Or is that an inappropriate question on this forum?
    Jan
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 267 [Exalted Navigator]
    I switched to a Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Alexa Stand-Alone. Aesthetically I don't like as well as the OLD TT App but it is very capable, no bug, hiccups, etc. Nice BIG screen. I was able to convert my OV2's to GPX's and copy them. I am able to push my Appointments to it via the Garmin Drive App. I gets email, text, and calendar notifications from my phone. Has an nice review camera add-on. Only downside is that it wasn't cheap.
  • pabapaba Posts: 23
    Staff
    edited August 2020
    Hi,

Guys afaik nothing changed in the algorithm that picks place for map storage between old and new version. App on the first run will pick partition with most free space whether internal storage or external sd card. I just made a quick test for app 2.2.3 on phone(s20) with android 10 and it works fine.
    Before:
    eyrss5pofkok.png
    After:
    0vgyr8a8krj0.png

Some tips:
    1. Before the first run ensure that there is more free space on external sd card than on phone. Double-check that sd card is recognised by OS (E.g. visible in My files app).
    2. Do not use sd card as adoptable storage , this app will store files on sd card in portable mode
    3. Some phones when app is uninstalled do not remove application files from external sd card ([sdcardpath]/Android/data/com.tomtom...../). This may lead to problems with access when app is reinstalled so make sure your sd card is free of leftovers.

Hope that helps.
  • PeterPan99PeterPan99 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi @paba ,
    I'd be interested to know a bit more about your solution. I currently have the TT GO Nav app installed on my Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0.0). This morning, the TT GO App updated to Version 2.2.3 and downloaded a Central England Map. That didn't reach Torquay, so I downloaded the South England Map also. Now I have almost no storage space left on the phone, although I have 29.7GB available on the SD card.

I assume that you will recommend uninstalling the app and re-installing, in the hope that it then puts the maps on the SSD Card, but can I do that without losing all my stored Favorites (aka My Places)?

After uninstalling the app, will I need to find some obscure folder full of stuff that it has left behind? If so,please advise where to find it.

Thanks.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,701
    Superuser
    Hi @PeterPan99

When the latest App is downloaded it uses the phone to work out where it is and then only loads the map that relates to that position. If you are in the UK there are 4 maps and a Ferry Connection File. This App is using NDS maps and you are able to download only whatyou need which must be beneficial by reducing the amount of space taken up by unnecessary maps.

Doug
    Staff
    edited August 2020
    Hi @PeterPan99

Your phone suppose to have like 32 or 64 GB of disk space. Regions installed by you already should take only about 1GB space.

To preserve your My Places between app installations just go to Menu -> TomTom Services -> activate My Drive (create account if you didn't do before and log in).

Confirm that your favorites are synced to cloud through web interface https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Next time you reinstall app just log in again to My Drive and your uploaded favorites should be synced to your phone.

But again please double check how much space currently is taken by TomTom app in OS settings. Maybe moving is not worth the effort, since in general reading from sdcard is slower than from internal partition.

Hi,
    Firstly, excuse me for the late response, please. I have been so busy that I even did not read my emails. ;-)
    @Schneidernet: thanks for your feedback. I still hope to solve this issue, but if not, I will certainly give it a try with Garmin.
    @Paba: the problem is that I did everything you suggest, before starting this topic. But it did not work. But the part about 'adoptable storage' is interesting. I did not know about that, so I will check if my SD card is set to be 'adoptable storage' and report back.
    Thanks to you all.
    Jan
    Hi again,
    Unfortunately, no success.
    SD card is set to 'portable storage'.
    Could my issue have something to do with the fact that my SD card is split in two parts (somewhat like partitions on a PC). Don't think I still need that, so if it could be of any help, I could go back to one 'partition'.
    Jan
    Staff
    @Janjoeng
    So Android sees two 2 sdcards? What you see in system settings, even if system is able to recognize two partitions and provide them as available to app, for sure then your free space is not calculated as sum of the two partitions.

So you see on both partitions stuff like [sdcardpath]/Android/data/... for other apps?
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @PeterPan99

When the latest App is downloaded it uses the phone to work out where it is and then only loads the map that relates to that position. If you are in the UK there are 4 maps and a Ferry Connection File. This App is using NDS maps and you are able to download only what you need which must be beneficial by reducing the amount of space taken up by unnecessary maps.

Doug

Hi @Doug,
    That's fine, but I live in Milton Keynes and have family whom I visit in Torquay, so I need at least the Central England and South Maps. Adding both these, which the app seems to have stored on the phone, not on the SD card, has led to the phone flashing up warnings about lack of storage. (It only has 32GB) This only happened since the update to 2.2.3 and off-line maps, so I am looking at moving the TT GO maps to the SD Card.
    paba wrote: »
    Hi @PeterPan99

Your phone suppose to have like 32 or 64 GB of disk space. Regions installed by you already should take only about 1GB space.

To preserve your My Places between app installations just go to Menu -> TomTom Services -> activate My Drive (create account if you didn't do before and log in).

Confirm that your favorites are synced to cloud through web interface https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Next time you reinstall app just log in again to My Drive and your uploaded favorites should be synced to your phone.

But again please double check how much space currently is taken by TomTom app in OS settings. Maybe moving is not worth the effort, since in general reading from sdcard is slower than from internal partition.

Hi @paba ,

Many thanks for the advice.

I checked and My Places were already synced to the cloud; I had just forgotten how to check for them.

After uninstalling and re-installing, with UK Central and South maps, I now have 2.0GB free on the phone.

Regards,
    Peter
    @paba
    Indeed, Android sees two SD cards. One of them only has an Android and a lost.dir folder, maybe because it is not really in use. I don't know.
    I will try to make it be one SD card again, but I hope I don' t have to format it completely.
    I report back.
    Jan
    OK, so I reformatted the SD, put the old data on it an retried.
    Just the same as before (see original post).
    Just one correction: I saw that, in the original post I wrote "I finally managed to get an old version running (maps on SD though)" The last sentence should have been: "(maps NOT on SD though)".
    Because I tried it all again, I now have the exact messages I got during trying to install.
    Firstly, I tried to install the latest version, from the Google app store.
    In a first attempt with the SD card in the phone.
    I got the message "Not enoughe space. There is not enough space available for installation. Delete data to make space on your device. Data Size 36MB/ 1MB free.
    Acutally the phone had 8.8 GB free and the SD card more than 160 GB free.
    In a second attempt I installed the same version from the app store, but this time with the SD card removed from the phone.
    The app installed, and after that, I got the message "prepairing your app to get maps"
    A car is driving in a circle and after some minutes, I get the message "somethint went wrong".
    So far for the latest version.
    Next I tried version 2.2.2.
    Firstly wiht the SD card in the phone.
    I got the message "prepairing your app to get maps"
    A car is driving in a circle and after some minutes, I get the message "somethint went wrong". (Same as the latsest version without SD)
    Then I removed the SD an tried 2.2.2 again.
    It installs and it gets to the car that drives in circles, but this time the background is not black, but more translucent grey and there is the triangle-like symbol in the middle of the screen. After several seconds it suggest to downoad a map. I do, and everything works fine.
    So why doe it only work with the old version and why does'n t it word with the SD card in the phone?????
    Very ennoyinng... Is te Tom Tom crew following this topic? If so, please what is going on and how do I solve this?
    Some more info: I restarted the phone after each trial and allways checked if there wher files left from Tomtom. If so I removed them first.
    Jan
  • BMWarlockBMWarlock Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    @Janjoeng - I share your pain and frustration. Just like that little car, going around and around in circles, I too have now spent days trying to get an app, which last week worked perfectly with maps for the whole of Europe, on a 16GB phone with 250GB adopted SD card, and now can barely cope with UK maps only.

I really love the Tomtom android app, when it works, but this development, after all the hype and beta tester warnings, is a self-inflicted disaster. It is the most expensive app on my phones and now is simply not fit for purpose. Most people want a GPS navigation system to cover them wherever they may ever wish to travel, but Tomtom now only lets us travel in our local district!!

Is this more misguided Eco-fascism to force us to save the planet??
    @BMWarlock
    I absolutely share your feelings. I also used to have the whole of Europe. Now I can only install Belgium and the country I know I am going to. Very frustrating indeed.
    Let's hope someone can solve this for us. ;-)
    Thanks for your comment.
    Jan
  • grofgrof Posts: 44 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited August 2020
    I can see I'm not alone here with this issue having created my own post relating to the same problem 'How to install 2.2.3 to SD card like previous version'. I have had zero useful help from TT. Please if anyone comes up with a solution please hollar!

It was mentioned earlier that SD card should be formatted as portable and not adopted, but that does not work with a card which is already adopted and in use!

I am fairly certain that this is developer issue. TT please hear us and put this right. As @janjoeng states 'I too have now spent days trying to get an app, which last week worked perfectly with maps for the whole of Europe, on a 16GB phone with 250GB adopted SD card, and now can barely cope with UK maps only.' It stands to reason that expanded storage would be used to store large files like maps so why make it impossible? TT Please put your hands up and put this right.
    Hi Jurgen, yes I have thanks. But the post refers to having the storage formatted at portable not adopted.

2. Do not use sd card as adoptable storage , this app will store files on sd card in portable mode.

Most of the other comments/ complaints including my own have adopted SD cards and so the post is unfortunately irrelevant.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,100
    Community Manager
    No, I'm afraid that is the cause. I'm probably a bit lost here since I use iOS myself but don't you have an option to format the SD in portable mode?
    Hello again Jurgen.

A couple of things.

Are you suggesting that if the storage is adopted it will not work?

If the above is true then:

a) This does not follow the previous version that did install to the SD card if adopted.

b) If the SD card does need to be formatted as portable, then TT must be assuming that the SD card in not being used for anything else. I and many others already have SD cards which were working fine with the previous version, and are sharing the cards with other apps / music, etc. It is not possible just to reformat the card without losing everything else and is therefore unworkable. TT need to put things back so that the install will work with adopted storage as with the previous version. Thanks
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,100
    Community Manager
    From what I understand there is a high risk of poor performance if maps are installed on adopted memory.