map size too big for device — TomTom Community

map size too big for device

motodaytonamotodaytona Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
hi the mydrive function on tom tom instal page wont allow maps to be updated as it is too big for my device. ive delted all the voices except one last year and also the speed camera alert function as it was out of date anyway and just managed to instal it in september 2019 but now its too big for device. it has european maps and ireland that i dont need can it be split to just the uk?
Tagged:

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,953
    Superuser
    Hi @motodaytona

And the Tomtom model involved is?

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,429
    Superusers
    Hi
    @motodaytona
    Welcome to the site....
    If your device is one of the NAV4 Devices with 8GB on-board Memory....
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 9GB +

@VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators can add a small Map to your Account to get you passed the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....
    See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • cazulpcazulp Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited August 2020
    Have this problem too. Previously Maps of Europe and Canada/USA fitted so that new map updates could 'round robin' between 8 GB onboard storage and 8 GB Micro SD. This allowed me to have new maps and old as backup. Now have Canada/USA maps on onboard storage and Europe on Micro SD. Bit disappointing. Expected the maps to be compressed to fit. Don't really want to buy a new device because of this.
    Another BIG annoyance is that updates realize they cannot fit the way they used to and the first action of the update is to WIPE out everything. I then have to spend 2-3 hours reloading maps from scratch.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,429
    Superusers
    Hi
    @cazulp
    Install a 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card....
    The Memory Card can only contain Maps or be used to transfer Planned .ITN or .GPX Routes
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is around 9GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

@VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators can add a small Map to your Account to get you passed the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....
    See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,881 Moderator
    @cazulp
    A small map of UK and ROI has been activated for your TomTom.

Regards, Vikram