Power for the rider 550 — TomTom Community

Power for the rider 550

YTZYTZ Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, can I wire a type A USB connector to the TomTom battery cable and use the 12 volt socket on my motorcycle to power the rider 550 through the mount. Thanks

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 726 [Revered Pioneer]
    No, because a USB connector is 5 volt and the mount needs 12 volt.

The best way is to connect the mount to a switched accessoire connector on your bike. Most newer bikes have a accessoire connector.
  • YTZYTZ Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi, thanks for the answer, I am probably being really thick, so it’s the mount that’s the issue, it’s different to a car mount? It works when I plug into the 12 volt socket in my car with the car mount, but not on the bike 12 volt socket with the bike mount.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 726 [Revered Pioneer]
    The Riders Car mount uses a external 12V to 5V USB converter in a cigarette lighter plug

The Riders motor cycle mount has an internal 12V to 5V converter and needs 12V.
    So if you want to use the motor mount in your car you have to use a normal cigarette lighter plug without converter. And on your bike you can probably use the same cables that power the USB converter.
  • YTZYTZ Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Ok, thanks very much
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,088
    Superusers
    Hi
    @YTZ

My Rider 550 is connected directly to the 12 Volt Battery Via
    A short fly lead to a Car Power Socket under the seat

1u0usaflaxot.jpg
    And an in-line 12 volt Car Power plug fused 1Amp and the Tomtom supplied lead

lyrfn9zir0s9.jpg

I don't know if there is any reverse polarity connection protection built into the Mount ....
    My set-up works/charges fine... The pins on the Mount the pins show...
    1n9rm90c51op.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM