Gps signal lost during navigation. — TomTom Community

Gps signal lost during navigation.

Having troubles with my go5100.
When I am on the road, the go5100 loses connection with satellites.

It does not know where I am. Jumps on wrong roads that are 10 to 50 meters away. At fist it was once a trip. But now it happens every 2 to 3 minutes.

Is there a fix?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    Hi
    @driel24
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • driel24driel24 Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    Did this. Also a full reset.
    Problem is still there.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,884
    Superuser
    Hi @driel24

One more thing you could try is:-

Make sure the unit is fully charged or is attached to a power source of some kind.

Go out side well away from buildings and trees etc with a clear view of the sky all around. Turn the Unit on and when ready do a Soft Reset then when it has restarted create a route on it so it is ready for you to drive off. Now put the unit down for 30minutes plus so that it can get a good connection with the Sats.

This is what we normally suggest for those who are having issues getting their units to connect to the Sats.

Usually once this has been done and the units are connecting to the Sats again they connect to them quicker in future. Also you need to download all the updates offered particularly any GPS quick fix ones if offered as they are designed to help the units locate the Sats.

If this does not cure the problem then it looks like trying the Recover your device option is the only one left before you consider needing it to be looked at to see if it needs repairing .

All the best.

Doug
    edited August 2020
    I am afraid it is the end....

After this it rebooted.

wlavv4bv5mag.jpg
    Superuser
    Hi @driel24

That is saying the unit is not connected to your PC or is asking you to. Did you try the recovery process I referred too If not don't try yet..

Connect it to a PC when you see that screen.

Doug
  • ukbarrieukbarrie Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    My Go520: since it installed two updates today when on search screen does not offer possible town names as I type in a town or a post code. So there is no route for where I want to go. Also, my recent destinations have been cleared out. Any help gratefully received, the device is useless at this point.
    Superuser
    edited August 2020
    Hi @ukbarrie

Go to Settings/Maps and see what map is currently selected.

Try a soft Reset

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034215/how-to-reset-your-navigation-device/p1?new=1

Doug
    Have done the 30 minutes in open air.
    Must say i have driven not enough to notice the sat issue.

But this screen came up during navigation. Never had this.
    After reboot it is working again. Have connected it to pc. Nothing came up.
    Only mapshare update.
  • ukbarrieukbarrie Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hi YamFazMan. Have just read your advice to dreil24. I didn't know about the reboot technique. I have done that and it seems now to offer suggested names when I type a town into the search box. Thank you. However, it doesn't now offer a location when i type in a post code, maybe I should try a more serious re-install. If you have time time I would be grateful for a quick 'do' or 'don't'.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    edited August 2020
    Hi
    @ukbarrie
    Firstly, on Tomtom devices you DO NOT enter a space in the middle of a postcode....

All the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via, GO & GO Premium Ranges, that have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options....
    Check on your GO 520... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode....
    Option (1).... Quick Search (Default)
    Always use Quick Search, (The best Search Engine)
    Option (2)... Step by Step Search....

The GO 520 has 2 search engines 'Quick search' and the Step by Step search engine....
    Are you using the problematic Step by Step search engine....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1630007/#Comment_1630007
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @driel24

If you go Tap Menu/Settings/System/About what maps are listed with there version numbers.

Doug
    Europe West v1050.10189
    Superuser
    Hi @driel24

That is the latest map so what updates are you expecting

Doug
    I am not expecting an update. I want sat connection. 😂
    edited August 2020
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @driel24

One more thing you could try is:-

Make sure the unit is fully charged or is attached to a power source of some kind.

Go out side well away from buildings and trees etc with a clear view of the sky all around. Turn the Unit on and when ready do a Soft Reset then when it has restarted create a route on it so it is ready for you to drive off. Now put the unit down for 30minutes plus so that it can get a good connection with the Sats.

This is what we normally suggest for those who are having issues getting their units to connect to the Sats.

Usually once this has been done and the units are connecting to the Sats again they connect to them quicker in future. Also you need to download all the updates offered particularly any GPS quick fix ones if offered as they are designed to help the units locate the Sats.

If this does not cure the problem then it looks like trying the Recover your device option is the only one left before you consider needing it to be looked at to see if it needs repairing .

All the best.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Have tested it properly. It worked. But 30 minutes was not enough.
    It still had problems with Sats.

Second time i have put it in open air with a route for 2 hrs.
    Since then all fine.

Strange that this is the solution with a go5100, as it has a simcard....

Thanks.
    Superuser
    Hi @driel24

The inbuilt Mobile Sim has nothing to do with the units ability to connect to the satellites so it knows where it is. The mobile sim, which is a Mobile Data sim, is used to connect to the Tomtom servers and get the Traffic data for where you are or to sync any routes etc that have been sent to the device from a PC or the Mobile My Drive App. The mobile sim will show as Disconnected if the GO5100 is attached to your Wifi but will connect when you are out of WIFI Range.

Doug
    edited August 2020
    go5100 has no wifi.
    Of course it is a data sim. But what i mean is, it should get a quickfix with the Datasim.
    When you connect the go5100 with the pc it never receives a quickfix.
    My other system Start20 (also with lifetime maps) always gets a quickfix on Mydrive.
    Superuser
    Hi @driel24

I have the GO5200 it does not get quickfix files so I doubt yours will either although the older units like the Start 20 would get them regularly.

Doug
    I know it doesn't receive the quickfix,
    but I meant it is stupid it does not receive it through the data sim.

Unfortunately, I have judged too soon.
    Again it lost connection for 3x one minute in a 40 minute trip.