charged 2.99 w/o reason — TomTom Community

charged 2.99 w/o reason

ex_tomtom_userex_tomtom_user Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
Like some of you I got charged 2.99 EUR for a monthly speed camera subscription although I had never intentionally chosen for it. Since I don't care about anything else than getting my money back, here's my short guide how not to get charged again and possibly get a refund.

1. Cancel your ongoing subscription in "Subscriptions"

2. Contact the support, preferably by chat, and ask for a refund. It will take a while (30 minutes in my case) from explaining the situation to finally receiving a confirmational email as they respond quite slowly so be prepared.

3. If you want to be sure you won't get charged again, delete your bank card details. According to the person from support it goes more or less like this: "to do that, select any product and add it to your basket, on payment page, you shall find a tickbox to save payment details while payment, you can deselect the box to unsave your details". It worked for me.

I'm still not 100% sure if I won't get charged again "by accident". If so, I will contact my bank and block all payments from TomTom.
In case I don't get the requested refund I might ask my bank to undo the transaction(s) made.

Comments

• ex_tomtom_userex_tomtom_user Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    BTW the email informing about the ongoing subscription comes AFTER the "unconciously authorised" payment confirmation. So one first gets to know he's being charged for a product X but only later he gets informed why
  • SaffrisSaffris Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Same thing happened to me although the email informing me of auto renewal arrived the same day as the charge was applied. I tried to cancel but was too late so asked for a refund, which has still to be confirmed. The response I received states; "This auto renewal was especially introduced based on the feedback we've got from our customers and the intend was to make this more convenient for everyone." Not sure I support that view. I hope everyone is checking their accounts!