Why my GO 6200 didn’t activate when driving? — TomTom Community

Why my GO 6200 didn’t activate when driving?

When the go 6200 connected to WiFi At home, everything activated except the SIM card, the red light camera etc will show on the screen.
But when I drive away from home , there’s no WiFi connection any more, then everything just unactivated, no red light cameras show on the routes anymore.
Does anyone Know how3ymlf1k7gyb1.jpeg
jar7mt14dm2l.jpeg
h16ycm2tqdia.jpeg
mxo4avpr18m3.jpeg
to fix this problem?
Thanks.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,550
    Superuser
    Hi @Winston818

The TT unit is designed so that when the unit is connected to Wifi the inbuilt mobile sim is disconnected. Whilst connected via Wifi it receives Traffic Data. When the unit leaves the Wifi’s range then it should switch to using the Mobile sim which should then show connected.

I would check all your My places etc are saved in your account On the My Drive Website and if so do a factory reset. This will not change the Operating Software or Map versions on the unit but will return the unit to the Out of the Box situation. If after you have set the unit up again with Language, My Drive Account etc Traffic still does not work out of Wifi range then you will need to contact Customer Support.

Doug
  • Winston818Winston818 Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    I would check all your My places etc are saved in your account On the My Drive Website
    where's My Drive Website?

If after you have set the unit up again with Language, My Drive Account etc Traffic still does not work out of Wifi range then you will need to contact Customer Support.

when i setup the device, i have already choose Australia and Australia Map.
    The SIM seems never works.
    Customer Support - online support or phone call support?

Thank you very much Doug!
    Now I just do a hard reset:
    - choose English(Australia)
    - Choose Australia Map
    - Do not setup WiFi connection
    - Do not setup phone connection

As you can see, all the service are stop, the GPRS is disconnected as well.v8g4f8spn6ej.jpeg
    e5s16h7pkvhd.jpeg
    Superuser
    Hi @Winston818

Too early in the morning for me. 😂😂 I forgot you are in OZ.

The GO6200 has a 2G sim in it so if Australia has turned Off 2G ,which I think I have seen it has, then the inbuilt sim has no available signal for it to work. The loss of a 2G signal is why the current new models in Australia all require the use of a mobile phone for data.

Now if you have connected your GO6200 to Bluetooth if you go to Settings/Bluetooth and Tap your phone and you should get a screen with 3 options. The first is the connection for Handsfree and the second is for Data. If you ensure the Data option is turned On then that is designed to work when you are out of WIFI Range and the Sim is not able to connect. You will now be using the Data on your phone for the Traffic. This is a very small amount If you don.t want Handsfree you could just comment the GO6200 to your phones Hotspot if it has one jus as you connect to your home Wifi.

Doug
    Hi @Winston818

Too early in the morning for me. 😂😂 I forgot you are in OZ.

The GO6200 has a 2G sim in it so if Australia has turned Off 2G ,which I think I have seen it has, then the inbuilt sim has no available signal for it to work. The loss of a 2G signal is why the current new models in Australia all require the use of a mobile phone for data.

Now if you have connected your GO6200 to Bluetooth if you go to Settings/Bluetooth and Tap your phone and you should get a screen with 3 options. The first is the connection for Handsfree and the second is for Data. If you ensure the Data option is turned On then that is designed to work when you are out of WIFI Range and the Sim is not able to connect. You will now be using the Data on your phone for the Traffic. This is a very small amount If you don.t want Handsfree you could just comment the GO6200 to your phones Hotspot if it has one jus as you connect to your home Wifi.

Doug

Hi Doug,
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    My GO 520 doesn't has a inbuilt SIM but it still show all camera on the screen.
    AS per my knowledge, If the SIM in 6200/5200 doesn't work in Australia, then the 6200/5200 devices should work like a 620/520 which has no in-built SIM as well.
    Right or not?

Otherwise, who would like to pay extra $$$ to buy a 5200/6200 model in Australia as the SIM is useless here.
    Superuser
    Hi @Phillip_Marshall

The cameras appear on the map because you have a Cameras file on the unit which you get updates for from time to time. The Traffic data is obtained by a unit via a Sim if fitted and working or Via your Phones data connection . This information is updated every few minutes and covers an area of about 50 miles radius from your current position.

In the absence of 2G you connect the phone to both units for the data the Sim would have provided.

Doug
    Hi @Phillip_Marshall

The cameras appear on the map because you have a Cameras file on the unit which you get updates for from time to time. The Traffic data is obtained by a unit via a Sim if fitted and working or Via your Phones data connection . This information is updated every few minutes and covers an area of about 50 miles radius from your current position.

In the absence of 2G you connect the phone to both units for the data the Sim would have provided.

Doug

yes that's what i think.

But the problem is my 6200 has been updated everything included the map/camera etc via WiFi at home, so when i drive away form home then the cameras should show on the screen as the 520 device does, even its SIM doesn't work.
    Superuser
    Hi @Winston818

Try a Soft Reset which it is a good idea to do after you do any updates.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034215/how-to-reset-your-navigation-device/p1?new=1

Have you done the Factory Reset I suggested earlier if not then if the Soft Reset does not sort the cameras out then do the Factory Reset.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited July 31
    Hi
    @Winston818
    Welcome to the site...
    The Tomtom GPRS SIM is 2G, Australia have shutdown the 2G services, the Built-in SIM will never connect...

If you're in the Office or at Home and your device is connected to your Office/Home Wi-Fi
    The Wi-Fi connection will be priority Data connection
    Note.... It's the same when you are connected over USB....
    The USB connection will be priority Data connection

In Australia The Data Connection for Live Traffic Etc... Is via Bluetooth using a Smartphone ....
    Get data and hands-free calls using your Apple iPhone....

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034283/get-data-hands-free-calls-and-smartphone-messages-using-your-iphone-and-mydrive-app/p1?new=1

Get data and hands-free calls using your Android phone.....
    See...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034286/get-data-hands-free-calls-and-smartphone-messages-using-your-android-phone-and-mydrive-app/p1?new=1

Try moving out of the Range of your Wi-Fi
    Or
    Logout of your Wi-Fi....
    (You can't actually logout you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device... I turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates
    Its no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password
    Another benefit of logging out of Wi-Fi... I find the device is more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

Stay Safe... ATB YFM