TomTom stucks when starting — TomTom Community

TomTom stucks when starting

My brother-in-law's TomTom Basic has recently been showing weird cures. He asked me to take a look at it. At startup, a screen appears with a world map and a bar indicating the progress of the startup process. At a percentage of about 45% the progress stops. Then the device restarts and a screen appears with the symbol of a laptop and twith data appears and then pressing the power button three times with a red cross in the connection between the two symbols. I tried to do a reset by holding the start button until a white text with data appears and then pressing the power button three times quickly. The TomTom then restarts and the previously mentioned screen with the laptop and the TomTom and the red cross reappears.
You may still have alternatives to get the device working again

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,569
    Superuser
    Hi @hugothedog

When you have been trying the 3 Tap option have you followed this video including connecting to a PC..

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

Doug
  • hugothedoghugothedog Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for the speedy answer.
    I indeed followed the video you mentioned. But after pushing three times the power button no turning wheel appears but after aboout three or four seconds the system restarts and the "connection picture" appears. When I connect in the meantime the TomTom to my laptop Mydrive Connect recognizes the TomTom but only shows a message that it is possible the unit without a computer
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,569
    Superuser
    Hi @hugothedog

The tricky bit is the 3 Taps. It is most unlikely you got it right the first time. Try a few times with slightly different Tapping Rates.

Doug
    Hello DoudLap,
    I'll give it a try tomorrow
    Hello DoudLap,
    I tried a lt of times the 3 taps mode in different tapping rates, But every time no turning wheels but the screen with the symbols of a laptop, the TomTom en a red cross in the connection. Is there another method to come in recovery mode?
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,567
    Superuser
    edited July 29
    Hi all

@hugothedog

I think while an update of the NavCore, the internal software of the device, there was a problem (internet connection cut/connection too weak/maps downloaded at the same time)

If I'm not mistaken, the device need to reinstall its NavCore and if you see a screen with symbol of a PC with a red cross, it is already in Recovery Mode. You don't need to do the procedure of 3 successive pressures. (this is only used to force a device that starts normally to switch into Recovery Mode)

- Charge the device with a main charger (smartphone/Iphone/Tablet 2A) at least 2 hours, the Recovery Mode require a full battery.

- If you have a micro-SD card installed in the device remove it from its slot. Sometimes the cards can cause a problem for the starting.

- Do a Soft Reset ==> Device switch on, press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds. This can take 30 seconds or more. The device restarts. If you see a black screen with white text, hold down the button until you hear the drum sounds.

If you allways need the Recovery Mode with MyDrive Connect:
    - For the MDC software on your PC think to log in with the email and password of the TomTom account.

- Only after, connect the cable directly to an USB port of your PC (no hub) then to the device with the red cross.

- The PC download and reinstall the NavCore, the internal software, around 350 Mb. Your device will restart during the process, wait and leave it connected to the PC until it has a normal display.

I hope it will work for you.

Regards.
  • Winston818Winston818 Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    i have the same problem with my GO 520.
    I have follow all of above instructions and have tried many times, the problem just could not be fixed at all.
    Thank you for your advice.
    I all the advices, but without success.
    Here are my findings:
    1. Briefly press the start button until TomTom logo appears;
    drum solo sounds, startup screen with progress bar appears. At 45 % the progress stops. After about 30 seconds, the notebook screen with TT symbol and cross connection appears.
    2. As 1, press and hold the start button until after the drum solo;
    Result as at 1
    3. As 1, press and hold the start button until white text appears;
    a. briefly press the start button three times (tried many times);
    The previously mentioned connection screen appears.
    b. press once
    TT turns off.

Then I treied the following:
    MyDrive on the laptop is turned on. TT started until after white text appears. Three short clicks on the start button and during start TT connected to laptop. MyDrive recognizes TT and indicates that system is being restored. A percentage indicates the progress of the process. The connection screen appears on the TT. At 100%, MYDrive's screen disappears from the notebook. The TT displays the TT logo and a bar indicates the progress of a proces. This takes about 2 minutes after which the TT will start up but will remain stucked at 45% as before.
    If I don't do anything else the connection screen will reappear after about 1 minute and restart the whole process. This continues until I stop manually. By the way, the connection screen on the TT is occasionally replaced by a blank white screen.
    I hope that this description can lead to further advice

• LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,567
    Superuser
    Hi @hugothedog

Thanks for your detailed explanation on how you were able to start recovery mode. I don't know why it doesn't work even though MDC shows 100%. Other than try again, I don't see what else to do. Sorry. :disappointed:
    Maybe Monday the moderator forum @VikramK can take a look.

Regards.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator

Hi @hugothedog
    Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @hugothedog
    Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram

Hi VIKRAM,

My Go 520 has the same problems as well, can i send my s/n to you to have a look? thanks.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Sure Winston.. Just click on the same link I added above...

Regards, Vikram

VikramK wrote: »
    Sure Winston.. Just click on the same link I added above...

Regards, Vikram

SENT.