Traffic Updates has never worked. How can I fix this? — TomTom Community

Traffic Updates has never worked. How can I fix this?

I have a GO6200 purchased march 2019, and traffic updates has never worked, and traffic re-routing has only come up twice, despite me hitting numerous jams over the past year. How can I fix this, or do I just throw the thing away?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    edited July 27
    Hi @Harrys_Boy

Hopefully @VikramK can check your Traffic settings on the TT severs . Look back here to say what he has to say. Meanwhile:-

When you say the Traffic updates have never worked you will not get update file s to download as the Traffic data is received by the unit via the inbuilt Mobile Sim every few minutes.

When you turn the unit on do you see within a minute or so Red Markings on the map if you scroll out to see a reasonably large area.showing where the Traffic issues are.The data will only show the traffic issues for up to between 50/100 miles from where you are.

When you turn the unit on and you have route set and ready then in the Route Bar on the right edge next to the Time/Distance there should be a Finish flag sign. If so then the unit is connected to the satellites. If the Traffic is not working then there will be 2 cars showing immediately under the Time/Distance in the Route Bar so if no cars are showing then it is connected to the TT servers for Traffic.

Re not getting Traffic rerouting then this will depend on the settings you have in Settings/Route Planning. Have you selected under the heading When a faster route is available Always take the Fastest/Ask me so I can choose or Don't ask me.The first option means it will change the route without warning you, the second you are advised and can chose and the latter it will never offer a faster route. Also what settings have you got in Sounds and Warnings if you have a computerised voice selected.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @Harrys_Boy
    Welcome to the community!

In some cases the Traffic services don't get activated automatically, I would suggest that you do a factory reset and login again to TomTom Services using your TomTom account credentials.

Main menu- Settings- System- Reset device.

To avoid losing your stored favorites on the device you can create a back-up using MyDrive..

See user guide

Regards, Vikram
  • Harrys_BoyHarrys_Boy Posts: 6 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi Doug and Vikram,
    Thanks for replying.
    Two things; there are still two cars and a 'x' at the top right of my GO6200, and I can't get the correct screen when I log into 'MyDrive Connect'. I've attached a screen shot. I've tried downloading MyDrive Connect again but to no avail. BTW I'm using Mac OS10.12.6. The GO6200 is plugged in directly to the Mac. I can see all my favourites via the Safari browser, but that doesn't seem to give me the ability to save or restore, so I'm reluctant to press the wrong button in case I lose everything. Hope you can advise/help.
    Hi Vikram,

Thanks for replying. Please see my reply to Doug, but hopefully you'll also see it.
    Superuser
    Hi @Harrys_Boy

Firstly lets cover the point you make about getting the Screenshot you attached to your post. You will always see that so nothing wrong with that.

The GO6200 is designed to be updated and have new items added by directly linking the device to Wifi without any need for a PC. If however your Wifi signal is poor, or you have no Wifi at home,, then you can involve the use of a PC except you are only using it as a connection via the PC to the internet. When you connect the GO6200 to the PC you see the screenshot you posted and whilst you can see it you use the Menu /Settings etc options in the GO6200 to manage what you want to do. There is no facility to manage what you want to do on the GO6200 in the My Drive Connect software. Whilst it is not recommended if the Unit is connected to the PC for updating updating you could leave My Drive Connect running in the background and browse the internet whilst the updating is taking place.

As an example if you have a health issue which precludes you from having Wifi at home you will have your PC equipment connected to the Router/Internet by wire. It is for instances like that that you would attach the GO6200 to a PC in order to make a connection to the internet.

@VikramK has suggested that you do a Factory Reset in the hope that the you set it up again the correct settings will be made. Before you do the factory reset go to the my Drive Webpage and log into the same account as on your device. This will enable you to check whether the My Places saved on your GO6200 are also present in your account. You can also see if any 3rd Party POI files you added to the unit also any routes you created and saved in MyDrive and Synced to your GO6200. If they are all there then when you do a Factory Reset when the unit is set up and links to your account it will copy your My Places etc back onto the the GO6200.

A factory reset is
    Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device
    You will return the device to its out of the box position except the current Operating Software and Map versions will not be changed from what they are now.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I'll have a look in the morning and try your recommendation, and let you know.
    Thanks again,
    Jack
    Hi Doug,

Just one question before I use the nuclear option (reset). On the 'my drive' webpage, I can see my favourites and there are also two POI files. What I'm not clear about is if these are saved somewhere (TomTom servers or my Mac), and therefore if I do the reset they will be re-imported automatically to my GO6200, or if they live somewhere else and I need to do something to save them and then re-install them. Sorry to seem a bit thick, but we crave to Holland a lot and some of these POI's are not easily replaced. I've included the MyDrive screenshot so you know what I'm talking about.
    Thanks again for your patience.
    Jack
    Superuser
    edited July 29
    HI @Harrys_Boy

These are POI files that you have added to your GO6200 using Mt Drive. On your GO6200 the files appear at the bottom of the My Places list.

As they are listed in your account in My Drive and therefore backed up on the TT servers they will be restored to your unit when you do the full reset, input your Wifi and TT account details and it logs into your account. As you have the GO6200 which has the in built mobile sim should you ever do a Reset Device away from home out of range of Wifi the unit will still restore the favourites and the POI files to you unit using its own sim. When you are setting it up you can live the Bluetooth pairing until after if you wish.

You can do all the above without the need of a PC as it connects to the TT servers using its direct link via your Wifi.

Should you add another TT unit to the same account when it logs into the Account it would also sync all the same data so they are the same.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

I followed your instructions and I can now see real-time traffic flows on the GO6200, the 'x' has disappeared from the two small cars top right, and my Favourites and POI's are on it, so it looks as if you are a genius. Thanks very much for your help.
    Jack