TomTom GO with Apple CarPlay - What is missing? — TomTom Community

TomTom GO with Apple CarPlay - What is missing?

RicoKRicoK Posts: 150 [Supreme Navigator]
Hello,

For about two months now I am using TomTom GO for/with Apple CarPlay which is really great. However, it is unfortunately definitely not perfect.

I would like to point out the following, in random order, what is missing/should be adjusted to my opinion:
- The routebar is missing. It is really a loss the routebar is not (yet) available.
- There is no opportunity to mention speed measurement or mentioning the measurement has left/cancelled (Waze for example has this opportunity...)
- TomTom Go via Carplay tells me I need to renew my subscription but I have already paid. This is known with TT and is investigated, but it takes obviously some time.....
- Voice navigation with Siri and CarPlay. It would be very nice, helpful AND safe to use Siri for spoken instructions.
- The possibility to search for contacts
- No possibility to mention variances in a speed limit

Please, feel free to add any point what I might have forgot to mention.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,769
    Superuser
    Hi @RicoK

I believe the route bar is missing as there is no facility in the templates that Apple lay down for use in developing Apps for their system that enables them to include it. TT have said they are looking at how to display the Route Bar info within the Templates available.

Search option for Contacts and My Places, rather than the current My Places list, with the additional option to add the result to the current route as a Stop.

Doug
  • Rolf_the_WolfRolf_the_Wolf Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    RicoK wrote: »
    - TomTom Go via Carplay tells me I need to renew my subscription but I have already paid. This is known with TT and is investigated, but it takes obviously some time.....

The same with me.
    I paid for a one year subscription and every start tells me that the subscription is expired.
    TT does not take the CarPlay integration serious. Nor does write a official statement if they work on a better integration or not.
  • HansJAVDHansJAVD Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Sorry to add that TT Navigation on CarPlay in my Volvo XC60 2019 is not just about finetuning. It is about being reliably operational when needed. In my case since TT quite frequently fades out. That is a major issue ... and having just paid a subscription for two cars, I find myself using Google, Here or Waze without problems. Funny maybe, Sygic has the same problem although less frequently ....
  • TheFriarTheFriar Posts: 53 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I miss the trafficbar that shows you where the trafficjams are.
    I also miss the opportunity to sync routes from MyDrive to the Go Mobile app
    Superuser
    Hi @TheFriar

The Routes bar is missing in CarPlay mode because the Templates that Apple provide time App producers does not facilitate the inclusion of that facility. Tomtom have stated that they are working on the best ways to provide the data that appears in the Route Bar.

The latest update did include some data re delays. Regarding the syncing of routes from MyDrive the facility has never been available on the IOS App however a recent announcement suggests that the facility could become available in the future presumably if it has been successfully trialed in Beta testing at the end of this year.

Doug
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 150 [Supreme Navigator]
    I want to emphasize again the high temperature of the iPhone when using TomTo GO, whether or not combined with CarPlay.

This morning I once used one of the competitors, Waze, on my drive to work. This is a journey of approximately 45 minutes over a distance of 55 kilometers. When getting out and unplugging the iPhone, it did not feel heated at all! With this I can conclude that TomTom really needs to work.
  • Vik117Vik117 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Route Bar is missing! Would really love to have this on CarPlay.
    Superuser
    Hi @Vik117

Apple have laid down templates that an App must be designed to. There is no current template that permits the display of the Route bar in CarPlay although it is visible when on the phone.

Tomtom have said that they are working on providing the Route Bar information that we are all used to within the restrictions laid down.

Doug
    edited August 2020
    Hey,

Sorry, call me a whiner, a pusher, but in a way I get done with TomTom (in combination with Apple CarPlay) ..... I would like to see a 'route map' with a list of when TomTon now what to implement. Is that after the release of iOS 14? Is that later? And what goes into it when?

For example, last week I 'cheated' for a while and I used Waze for a while. The longer I started using Waze, the more I appreciate it. Why?
    Well now, for at least the following reasons:
    - The iPhone (11 Pro Max) charges much faster and the phone stays cool. There is no question of any heating at all, while my iPhone became very hot when using TomTom. I know that TomTom indicates that they are working on it, but that is not said. For example, can this problem be solved by TomTom at all?
    - Using the exit numbers at Waze is much better. Where tomtom only pronounces these, Waze shows them too
    - 'Stay on the three rightmost lanes'. This sounds so simple, but it is. TomTom also does this, but only graphically via the display. However, in fact you should use the display as little as possible for security reasons.
    - My commuting route has an alternating lane and back (previously known as a Carpool alternating lane). TomTom does not know this at all, but Waze indicates that it should be used if possible.
    - With Siri I can use Waze, where this is not yet possible with TomTom. This should be a setup for iOS 14, but, again, you don't hear more than this.
    - In Waze you also have the option to report traffic jams, accidents, cameras, etc. via CarPlay. This is not possible via TomTom.

The spoken instructions from TomTom are of course the best and the clearest, but after using Waze for a while I can certainly get used to this.

It is also not yet possible to use offline map material via Waze, so you are more or less forced to purchase a larger data bundle (which I had already done anyway, because I started listening to online radio via Apple Music). In addition, a small coverage of the costs of the larger data bundle is of course covered by the cancellation of the subscription costs for using TomTom, because Waze is free.

So, TomTom please lift a big tip of the veil and let me / us know about the upcoming changes.

Thank you in advance.
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited August 2020
    Agreed on all of these points and on a trip where I don’t know the streets, lanes and exits, granularity of especially verbal directions is super important. In my opinion TomTom having its own voice search like all the other navigation apps on CarPlay or integration with Siri is a dealbreaker on unfamiliar roads. It’s not safe and certainly not practical to pull over, put the car into park to get the search mode with keyboard. Can’t wait to see what’s next for this app!
    And still I am using Waze. For the last long(er) period I have not touched TomTom on/with CarPlay. I really can live with Waze. My TomTom subscription ends somewhere early 2021 so TomTom has still a few months to solve the issues. But, this is of course crazy, I really do hope TomTom will come with a major App update in the coming days/weeks in which all the issues are solved...

TomTom? Any update about the schedule/planning/roadmap???
  • Terry_RTerry_R Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Q1. CarPlay on my Skoda Kodiaq does not include TomTom GO? Is there a fundamental problem here or is it something I can resolve myself?
    Q2. Is there any chance of TomTom GO being available in Android Auto.
    Q3. I have a fully functioning TomTom GO 6100 with lifetime maps, updates etc. However this means not using the Kodiaq's beautiful 9.3" built in sat nav screen which would be a neater option. Can I wire the 6100 to mirror its function on the Kodiaq'a media screen?
    Any news yet?

I am really still waiting and looking forward for the coming major update for Apple CarPlay!! According to the time it takes and the radio-silence around it, this must be a really great update.

- Family sharing (of the subscription) can also be added to my list.

• Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Agreed, integration with Siri or at least a voice search in the app of itself is absolutely critical to functionality. Also please get rid of that darn dialog box every time I start the app on CarPlay. I’m two minutes down the road sometimes by the time that thing goes away and multiple times it routed me a different route so I had to turn around and go the other way.
    RicoK wrote: »
    Hey,

Sorry, call me a whiner, a pusher, but in a way I get done with TomTom (in combination with Apple CarPlay) ..... I would like to see a 'route map' with a list of when TomTon now what to implement. Is that after the release of iOS 14? Is that later? And what goes into it when?

For example, last week I 'cheated' for a while and I used Waze for a while. The longer I started using Waze, the more I appreciate it. Why?
    Well now, for at least the following reasons:
    - The iPhone (11 Pro Max) charges much faster and the phone stays cool. There is no question of any heating at all, while my iPhone became very hot when using TomTom. I know that TomTom indicates that they are working on it, but that is not said. For example, can this problem be solved by TomTom at all?
    - Using the exit numbers at Waze is much better. Where tomtom only pronounces these, Waze shows them too
    - 'Stay on the three rightmost lanes'. This sounds so simple, but it is. TomTom also does this, but only graphically via the display. However, in fact you should use the display as little as possible for security reasons.
    - My commuting route has an alternating lane and back (previously known as a Carpool alternating lane). TomTom does not know this at all, but Waze indicates that it should be used if possible.
    - With Siri I can use Waze, where this is not yet possible with TomTom. This should be a setup for iOS 14, but, again, you don't hear more than this.
    - In Waze you also have the option to report traffic jams, accidents, cameras, etc. via CarPlay. This is not possible via TomTom.

The spoken instructions from TomTom are of course the best and the clearest, but after using Waze for a while I can certainly get used to this.

It is also not yet possible to use offline map material via Waze, so you are more or less forced to purchase a larger data bundle (which I had already done anyway, because I started listening to online radio via Apple Music). In addition, a small coverage of the costs of the larger data bundle is of course covered by the cancellation of the subscription costs for using TomTom, because Waze is free.

So, TomTom please lift a big tip of the veil and let me / us know about the upcoming changes.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for quoting myself, but, TomTom, what is, if there is any (...), the status?!?

It all takes a long time now.......
  • CostetaCosteta Posts: 7 [New Seeker]
    Hi,
    Does TomTom Real Time Traffic work on the Apple CarPlay Tomtom Go app please?
    Thanks
    Regards
    @Costeta Yes, TomTom Traffic is working on CarPlay. CarPlay is only a mirroring of your iPhone.
    @lampard @VikramK and anyone else within TomTom who can tell:

Any update yet??

When will the long-awaited update come out?

It still remains awfully quiet.....
    @lampard @VikramK

Any news yet?
    @lampard @VikramK @TomTom

Come on, an update please?
  • PerlonPerlon Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Any update on this since no new TestFlight signups are permitted?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,120
    Community Manager
    Sorry for the late reply and thank you for all your feedback around our app in Apple CarPlay in the first place! Some of these features asked for are actively being worked on. However, we cannot give details on features that are still under development. But our next build will bring more to CarPlay. Hopefully soon I'll have more for you.

@Jürgen Thank you for your communication. However, this has been going on for a very long time. I have always (for about 15 years now?) been a satisfied TomTom user and I always thought TomTom was the best. However, now it takes me more and more effort to maintain my sympathy for TomTom. TomTom really and very soon also has to come up with a very large update, because as said, I have switched to Waze for the time being and honestly compels me to say this: Waze is really good!
  • zorro_68zorro_68 Posts: 38 [Master Explorer]
    ... at least the sidebar missing and the subscription message are a problem ... still not solved yet ... we are having 2021 now ...
    Superuser
    edited January 24
    Hi @zorro_68

The reason there is no Sidebar in CarPlay mode is because the CarPlay Templates laid down by Apple for designing an Apps layout do not facilitate it.

Doug