LARGE Blue Direction Banner — TomTom Community

LARGE Blue Direction Banner

SpringsSprings Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
Why is the banner containing the driving directions so large on the latest version of the Tomtom Go app?
It covers to top 4cm of the map on my mobile phone which only leaves 5cm of map visible before the black banner containing the current road name at the bottom of the screen. I'm using TomTom Go v2.2.1 on Android 7.0 and my phone has a usable display height of 11 cm in other apps, but only 5cm of tomtom map is now visible.

The directions banner on previous versions was much smaller and didn't hide almost 50% of the map. With such a small amount of map visible its now difficult to anticipate the road a reasonable distance ahead. I've checked the app settings but can't find any option to change the size of this direction banner.

In the UK blue direction signs are reserved for Motorways but the app displays blue direction signs even on local roads. Previous versions of Go used to display the direction signs in colours appropriate to the type of road - blue for motorways, green for A-roads etc. Can you revert back to using the correct colour direction signs for the type of road.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,201 Moderator
    Hi @Springs

Thanks for your detailed feedback. We are actively working on making improvements to this Blue box (next instruction panel) feature in an upcoming release.

Regards, lampard

• lsagerlsager Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I second this. I've been hunting for a way to remove this huge banner - I can barely see any of the map. Have there been any updates to be able to remove this? I love tomtomgo but have been using other apps because of this.
  • Nickh2437Nickh2437 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    It would be useful if users had the ability to toggle this banner on or off and maybe a third option of on, but without the blue background.
  • albertvanderkampalbertvanderkamp Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    @lampard When can we expect this new release with the improvements to the blue box? It was July 27 when you mentioned it and we are now almost four months later!

I'm looking forward for it. Because beside the blue box there are a lot of other items that can, and I expect will, be improved.

Regards,
    Albert.
  • Jürgen_TT2016Jürgen_TT2016 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2020
    I would also appreciate a smaller banner (and/or a transparent one?). But I have to add another important point:
    My next instrucion panel arbitrarily keeps hanging, i.e. while the road navigation and voice instructions are correct, and also the bar to the right updates during the ride, the blue box sometimes still shows the very first instruction at the start of the route, sometines it stops updating somewhere in between. I see the distance to the next instruction point not changing. When I tap on the panel and close the detail list again, it updates, but can also hang again in a while. I want to avoid any unneccesary taps while on the road. TomTom GO app version is 2.3.3 running on Andriod 5.0 (Galaxy note 3)
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 267 [Exalted Navigator]
    The Big Blue (Big Green in USA) has been there for over a year when a Beta of 2.0 was pushed to a few unwitting users. I presume it is still there as more people like it as opposed to those like you and me who don't like it.
  • Step0011Step0011 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In complete agreement, the big blue instruction banner obscures way too much of the display in landscape orientation, it needs to be smaller, & or semi transparent, although at times it can be useful, I don't always have time to assimilate everything it's attempting to communicate to me anyway, and it's been an outright hindrance at other times, I much prefer the small bubble like on the nav4 devices
  • Step0011Step0011 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    65ldnoydl5fx.jpg
    o5oesgg8r65h.jpg
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 303 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    edited December 2020
    TBH even GM and Sygic do the same with their directions, it's the way they are all going
    Translation please. TBH = ? GM = ?
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,183 [Revered Voyager]
    I suggest "To Be Honest" & "Google Maps"
    tgold wrote: »
    I suggest "To Be Honest" & "Google Maps"

Thanks for the translation.
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    lampard wrote: »
    We are actively working on making improvements to this Blue box (next instruction panel) feature in an upcoming release.

Regards, lampard

Are you still actively working on it? Can you tell me what you've changed since then?
  • iojiioji Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    The Big Blue (Big Green in USA) has been there for over a year when a Beta of 2.0 was pushed to a few unwitting users. I presume it is still there as more people like it as opposed to those like you and me who don't like it.

There is a way to make it smaller:
    Go to phone settings, enable developer mode (google it). Than open settings/additional settings/developer options/ and search for "smallest width". Play with it, for me, on Xiaomi MiMax3 the best value is 392 dp, the banner it's smaller and the other information are big enough so i can read them.
    This is the only solution i find for now, until TT will do something about it. Hope it helps.
  • ducatinusducatinus Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    This blue navigation direction bar sucks big time.
    The old tomtom android GO was much better on this it.
    ioji wrote: »

There is a way to make it smaller:
    Go to phone settings, enable developer mode (google it). Than open settings/additional settings/developer options/ and search for "smallest width". Play with it, for me, on Xiaomi MiMax3 the best value is 392 dp, the banner it's smaller and the other information are big enough so i can read them.
    This is the only solution i find for now, until TT will do something about it. Hope it helps.

The old tomtom android GO was much better on this it.

With my samsung s20 i changed the settings 410 dp and it works. Thanks for the tip

https://postimg.cc/PvNkBr1s

@tomtom. Please fix this irritating error. This is not necceary

• iojiioji Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    ducatinus wrote: »
    With my samsung s20 i changed the settings 410 dp and it works. Thanks for the tip

You're welcome :) Well, i like the blue banner, is much more modern. Witch i don't like are the dimensions. Probably is so big because it was made to fit all resolutions but still, too big.