Routes — TomTom Community

Routes

If I import a route into the TT MyDrive on my Mac that I have created in MyRoute App, can I have it showing in the 'My Routes' in the TT Go app on my iPhone? It appears that the MyRoutes bit in the App is greyed out!

Best Answer

Answers

• ColinNColinN Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Correction - there doesn't appear to be an option for routes in the TT Go App - is this correct? So I pay a subscription but can't have the routes that I create showing in the App?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,241
    Superuser
    Hi @ColinN

There is not the facility to sync Routes from My Drive to the GO Navigation IOS App. also I do not see a greyed out My Routes in the App To my knowledge there has never been the facility to Sync routes to the GO Navigator or the previous IOS App versions.

Currently they could not sync the routes until they resolve the compatibility issue between the My Drive Maps and the App Maps. Once that has been sorted then I assume that Tomtom will want to be able to sync Routes like they have done in the past on the Android App although not on the very latest version at the moment owing to the compatability issue. To achieve this they will need Apple permission which I assume has not been forthcoming up to now. .

For example Apple have facilitated Tomtom to utilise the CarPlay facility but Google I think so far have restricted Google and Waze as the only 2 Nav Apps that can work with the Android Auto facility.

Doug
  • ColinNColinN Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    OK thank you
  • Rolf_the_WolfRolf_the_Wolf Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If TomTom GO can not sync from mydrive TomTom product, what is the benefit of TT GO therefore ?
    I would like to use TT GO via Apple CarPlay and if TT GO can not show the uploaded routes is the product totally useless.
    Superuser
    Hi @Rolf_the_Wolf

The IOS visions of the TT mobile Apps have never been able to sync or receive Routes or POI files from My Drive even from the IOS My Drive App. Whilst currently on the latest Android version you currently cannot either on previous versions you could sync routes etc from My Drive. This would suggest that TT wish to offer the facility but maybe Apple will not facilitate it within the currently laid down options available to the TT developers. Interestingly Apple facilitate the use of CarPlay for Nav Apps but I think you will find that Googles Android Auto does not allow Nav Apps other than their own Google and Waze.

The CarPlay version differs slightly from the phone version as for example it does not show the Route Bar as the Apple laid down CarPlay Templates do not facilitate it. Tomtom have said they are looking at ways to show the Route Bars information using the Templates available. On the Phone the App lets you can Search your contacts and select one as a destination that facility is not currently in CarPlay. However all your My Places (Favourites) are synced to the App and can be selected .in CarPlay. You can create routes with a search facility and having created the route do further searches and add waypoints

On the Phone or in CarPlay you can see cameras and be warned as on the PND units including when no route has been set and the latest update CapPlay shows a countdown distance to the cameras and length of any delays as you approach them .

I like the CarPlay option and hopefully more attributes will be added in the not too distant future.

Doug
    Hi Doug
    Thanks for the update.
    Very special situation in this case.
    Google Maps does not support routes in Google Maps on CarPlay (even it does work on a normal Mac).
    Even Apple Card does not support routes in Apple Card app via CarPlay (even it does work on a normal Mac)
    TomTom Maps does not support routes in TT App on CarPlay (even it does work on a normal Mac).
    Garmin does not have an App at all anymore.

Why should I use CarPlay at all ?

As long as TT is not able to sync the routes, the TT GO is a NO GO.
    Strange marketing.

TXS and Reg.
    Rolf
    Superuser
    Hi @Rolf_the_Wolf

What do you mean by,

"TomTom Maps does not support routes in TT App on CarPlay (even it does work on a normal Mac).'

You can create routes in My Drive or even import .GPX files into it on a Mac and you can send them to any devices synced to the account but not to the App.

You can create Routes in the IOS My Drive App and sync them to the same units on the account but again not to the App.

Currently there is an issue with the new format of maps that are used by the IOS and the new Android App which are not compatable with the maps used in My Drive. Tomtom have said they are working on that issue and we will have to see whether once that has been resolved whether the ability to Sync routes to the IOS App becomes a reality as I expect it will be with the Android App as it was before.

Doug
    Hi Doug
    As you state in your explanation "you can send them to any devices synced to the account but not to the App".

Apple CarPlay does only support the App TomTom GO and therefore, no routes are synced and available to be used.
    As long as TT does not support this function, TT GO App via CarPlay is not helpful as the current functions are also available via Apple Card or Google Maps.