Start 40 classic - Installing the USA map — TomTom Community

Start 40 classic - Installing the USA map

I want to update the map for my Start 40 but there is not sufficient space for the map. I would like to only use the USA map and not have Canada included. this way the map would fit. I also would like to know if the memory size of my device can be expanded? Please help.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,569
    Superuser
    Hi @Trigger1937

Your Start 40 has 4mb of internal memory and you can add up to 32gb of extra memory in the extra memory slot. You need a Micro SD Class 10 memory card and I would suggest a Sandisk, Samsung or similar major manufacturer as one of the lesser known makes have been known to have a few issues in the TT units.

Doug

• Trigger1937Trigger1937 Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    edited July 19
    Doug,...On the bottom of my device is the number 4ET03 . Above that it sasy TOMTOM * START. The serial number is C_no:GTxxxxx102. There are no memory slots anywhere on the device that I can find. When connected to my PC the software indicates a memory of 1882 MB

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!.
    Doug,...The original TomTom Start 40 has no removalbe memory chip. The Flash memory internal to the device in only 2GB and as far as I can see is not replaceable. So the issue is,..can I get a map download of only the USA and no Canada or Porto reco or anything else. I've seen on MyConnect there is a USA only map so I can I get that?
    Superuser
    edited July 18
    Hi @Trigger1937

Okay. I had not picked up that you are in the US. Tomtom devices can have similar names but different specs there than here in Europe.

I have found on the US web site a reference to units with Serial number starting with GT and they are Start 45's . These units were declared obsolete a couple of yers ago and so no longer supported by Tomtom which is similar to units in Europe with only 2gb of internal memory and no extra memory slots. I cannot find whether the Start 40's are. similarly affected.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/obsolete-products/#car

Let us see what @VikramK has to say when he picks this up on Monday. He will know what if any options are available to you.

Doug
    Doug,...Thanks for you help. I know the device is obsolete,..just like I am. I'm 83 years old and it runs just as good as I do. I live in the hills of Northern California and I have to drive a long was to see a doctor. GPS tells me where to go. US Army,...out.
    Doug,....I just got through watching a new movie about US Navy Destoriers that protected the troop and military supply ships on the voyage to England in WWII. It gave me chills just to watch it. I was too young for WWII but I did go to Germany on a Troop ship across the same waters. I also came home on a troop ship with 5000 other soldiers and their equipment.

Hope you get a chance to see the movie,...it is called "Grayhound"

Trigger1937
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @Trigger1937

Have you contacted the customer service regarding the same query?

I already see a smaller map of USA added for your TomTom. Are you able to install it now?

Regards
    Vikram
    VikramK,....I see that there is a map ready to download but it is 2085 MB which is too large for my device. This map is also both USA and Canada. So How do I get one that USA only.
    VikramK,...The version that is ready to install in : 10 51.10319 ---2087 MB
    VikramK,....I just checked what is installed. It is version --995.8546,...@1819 MB. The applications takes up 13.4 MB. The device capacity is 1885 MB.

Hope you can tell me how to get the new version of USA only. It should fit on my device. It not they there may be an earlier release that will fit.

Trigger11937
    Doug,...Thanks for getting me back to that discussion. Were could I look at the size of the last set of releases and see if one of them would fit.?????

Trigger1937
    Superuser
    Hi @Trigger1937

I am not sure you will find that information on the site however by writing @VikramK like that in your post he will get a notification that you want him to look at that post and the others with it and then he will be able to identify what USA based maps might fit your Purpose.

The current maps are way bigger then the maps that may be available for your unit with its limited memory. If it would help Vikram to see if he is able to find a cut down USA map that covers your area so what sort of coverage would meet your needs. For example instead of having the Whole Europe map I could usually get away with just having the UK and Northern Ireland one which is about a 1/9 th of the size.

I have flagged these posts to Vikram so have a look back here tomorrow.

Doug
    Doug,...thanks for you help. VikramK was helping me via a different post and that is the one I lost. He seemed to be very close to an answer but I lost his connection. I'm sure the new 2020 Maps of USA alone would be too big so I need to find something that was last year or the year before. I used to always be able to use MyDriveConnect but not now? I don't suppose there is anyway I could edit the map myself and eliminate even parts of Canada?
    Superuser
    edited July 21
    Hi @Trigger1937

You cannot self edit Tomtom maps.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @Trigger1937

I am afraid the device is declared -end of life and we do have smaller map cuts that can be assigned to the account. I asked my 2nd Line team and they have confirmed the latest version of USA map will be more than 2GB.
    The option would be to install the maps in the pre-defined zones as offered in TomTom HOME depending on your travel requirements.

Regards, Vikram
    Superuser
    Hi @Trigger1937

You say you use My Drive Connect. If you click on the map in My Drive Connect does it then give you a list of Map zones that you can choose from and download instead of the full map.

Doug
    Doug,...For some reason My Drive Connect no long work for my device. The new version of the software won't run and pushes me off to TomTom Home ,..which can not access Map Zones. I can see what is so difficult for this it a Map does exist that is USA only I should be able to have access to it. If it is too large then I could go back to the previous version that would fit. When I purchased the device I was sold on "Free Maps for Life". Last I checked I'm still kicking.
    VikramK

In your post above you indicated your team has identified an update which is over 2GB. In order to use Map Zone to reduce the size It would first have to be installed,..but since it is too large it won't install. Also to get at the Map Zone function I would need to run My Drive Connect and that software for my device is no longer valid. Everything is tied up in nots. How can you help..

Trigger1937
    Superuser
    Hi @Trigger1937

I am fairly sure that the Start 40 classic uses My Drive Connect not the Home software. What happens when you try to run the My Drive Connect Software..

Doug