My brand new GO Premium X seems to be faulty. How do I get to speak to someone? — TomTom Community

My brand new GO Premium X seems to be faulty. How do I get to speak to someone?

Website is useless. Sat nav goes blank while I am driving. It also suddenly tells me there is an update while I am following a route. Extremely slow when connecting as though it can't get a satellite link.

Appalling and now I cannot get help as I can't find a support phone number.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    edited July 19
    Hi @TaviSue

The phone lines are not available with so many working from home.

Are you using the supplied charger unit and cable. If you are using a 3rd party charger socket some of these have been found to not supply the required power despite what they say.

Are you plugging the cable into a USB socket in the car rather than the socket if so that will not supply enough power to run the unit and charge it at the same time.

I suggest you try a Soft Reset..

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034215/how-to-reset-your-navigation-device/p1?new=1

Has the vehicle got a special windscreen screen which could be blocking the Signal.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,461
    Superusers
    edited July 19
    Hi
    @TaviSue

Further to Doug's post....
    A metallized Heat reflecting windscreen, will kill the satellite signal dead
    Maybe Try Here : GPS RE Radiating Antenna.....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-Re-Radiation-RE-Radiating-Antenna-Aerial-SBG-190-reradiating-signal-wireles-/330618801252

Some Cheapo Dash Cams have poor RF Shielding, the stray RF can also reduce the satellite signal

Is the device set low down On or Behind the dashboard

If you have been using a dashboard USB port... Dashboard USB ports can fool a NAV4/NAV5 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the splash screen to update your device

Do you have Mi-Fi in the Car ??? The device maybe trying to or has connected to the Mi-Fi signal ???

Also see... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1624825/#Comment_1624825

ATB YFM
  • TaviSueTaviSue Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    HI Doug and ATB YFM

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I am using the charger unit and cable provided by Tomtom with the sat nav and the charger is being plugged into the car's cigarette lighter just like my old sat nav charger was.

My car doesn't have a heat-shield windscreen, neither does it have mi-fi or any other gadgets or modifications and my previous sat nav worked fine in it..

I have NEVER had any problems with my previous Tomtom GO 5200 but I am bitterly regretting buying the Premium X for a number of reasons:-

It takes ages to link to the satellite signal, and it takes forever to switch destinations if I change a destination while I'm driving.

It keeps switching off while I am travelling and then tells me there are updates available whilst I am using it on a route.

It isn't picking up most current average speed limits on motorways and A roads but, on two separate occasions, it told me there was an average speed limit in force when there wasn't.

Very worryingly, it did not pick up on any of the 20mph zones around Kingston on Thames and Teddington, despite the fact that these have been in place for 5 - 6 months at least.

Finally, the British English male and female voices are awful.

Apparently it needs to be charged for 2 hours before I do a soft reset so it's currently being charged and I will do the soft reset tomorrow.

I am concerned that I have just spent a lot of money for something that, quite frankly, is far worse than my Tomtom GO 5200.

I will attempt to contact Tomtom again but they still haven't responded to an urgent e-mail I sent them before I joined this discussion group and that is disgusting. They quite obviously don't want people to support them.
  • TaviSueTaviSue Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    And now, just to make me even angrier than I was, I cannot even get to the warranty page on the website (error 404) or the page regarding the 30 day money back guarantee. The link to the money back guarantee page leads back to the main page and then it jumps (without me doing anything) to discussion groups.

This is appalling!!!!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,461
    Superusers
    edited July 21
    Hi
    @TaviSue
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended....

For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...(Normal Office Hours)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1711834#Comment_1711834/p1

Stay Safe... ATB YFM